Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any haul truck drivers here?

sagehenssagehen Posts: 221
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm considering going back to driving a haul truck ( in a surface mine) when I go back to work in a couple months.I think I might be able to handle it, but just wanted to hear from anyone else doing the same thing. I know I'm gonna hurt no matter what I'm doing, so I may as well make good money while I'm doing it.
Thanks Sagehen
advertisement

Comments

• HI Sagehen. I drove myself into the ground by going back to do the thing i loved the most. I kept on pushing and doing and ended up where i couldnt drive anymore. Ive neck,thoracic,and lumbar spine problems, please be careful and dont put yourself in a position where you cant make money there! All the bouncing and trhrowing around may agravate your back. I love driving its all i did since i was 17, and now i cant, all my jobs revolved round driving and my resume sucks. but the freedom and the money were the best parts!
    sometimes there is no other way to earn a living and i hope you find a smooth riding truck, and then maybe a desk job where all your experience can make you more money!!!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Sagehen,
    I wanted to drive truck and operate equiptment scince I was a young boy.
    I did, from 19 yrs. old till I just couldn't do it anymore, and the docs. wouldn't release me to go back.
    The equipment was rough and torcherous on my back but I loved The work I was doing. and the teamsters construction contract had the highest pay in the nation.
    Most of the men in my family (big family) had long torsos and to much muscle strength for long torsos. we all have bad backs and mine was the worst. I was told in 89 to get out of the trucks, but I wouldn't listen. I did however start saving and investing. because the writing was on the wall.
    I had my pension paid up when I couldn't return' so financially I was fine. but I thought the eventual surgery would take away all the pain that kept progressing, that I was sucking up and pushing on. But it didn't, I,m in constant pain and know I made a mistake. You will have to pay the piper somewheres down the road. Do something else, Please. look under my signture and see what I did to Myself.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I understand what you're saying....even though I'm a woman, I've been in the construction/drilling/mining industries my whole working life. when I was young ,I had something to prove (I thought) my dad told his crews I wouldn't last a week when I finally talked him into hiring me on his drilling rigs. Wrong thing to say.... I learned how to work and I'll never be sorry for that, my husband and I worked side by side for years. So now when he goes to work (he's still a driller) I know what it's like. I can be a little more understanding of what his days (& nites) are like.
    Unfortunately...I also did exploration and assay lab work...lots of heavy lifting and I believe that's where my back troubles really began. With the haul trucks nowdays (the first ones I drove didn't even have struts most of the time) they're pretty cushy, and the safety regs have improved tremendously, so the drivers are not put in any terribly precarious positions. I haven't talked myself into it yet, it's long hours ,12 hour shifts,but the time off is great, and most mines have education reimbursement, so I could work on that area of my life that I neglected! I will listen to my surgeon,I see him this month. It's hard for me to be something I'm not, I'm not a dressed in a business suit kind a gal.So I will stubbornly try to find a place in the environment I'm comfortable in. Thanks for the input,and take care of yourself.
    Sagehen
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,728
    Hi Sagehen,
    When I was recuperating from my first surgery my company got 4 new state of the art Petes. Air ride, totally air suspended cabs with 6speed Allison's. Real Cadillac's. One was mine. But a day late and a dollar short, my fusion was failed and I needed 2 more. So I had to take my pension. But I know how you feel, I would have gone back and worked much longer even though my pension had been paid up for quite some time. I loved what I was doing! Well I hope all goes well for you and you get a piece of equipment that rides like a Rolls Royce.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.