Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

gona have surgery

gar0262ggar0262 Posts: 164
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I had my follow up with ns today, and I'm gonna have ALIF, in couple weeks. I have major degeneration at L5-S1 and found out today the the disc is collapsed. :''( I did ask dr about the ADR but he said that that procedure has not had very good results yet for the lumbar region. I have mixed feelings about doing this but I also realize that I have to get something done. I have been out of work now for 6 weeks trying the conservative approach, and it has not helped one bit, in fact the numbness and tingling are worse as to the point of being a burning sensation now. :O Well, that's all for tonight.
advertisement

Comments

• Hopefully you are on the road to some major pain relief! My doc has told me the same about ADR. He said that they have not perfected it to the point that he would even consider using it. You may want to check out the surgery section as I think that they have a post listing the items that you may need post op. In some cases the doc does not always prepare you very well for it. That is what happened to me and it would have been so better had I been prepared to not be able to twist in order to use toilet tissue after a BM (sorry so graphic but better to be informed). Had a grabber, and a hand held shower massage among many other things. Good luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • Wishing you luck and I agree with painintheback...be prepared for post op. Don't get discouraged and ry to keep your head up...no one ever wants to deal with having surgery...but...sometimes there is no choice but to dive in head first.
    I will keep you in my prayers and wish you all th best. Keep us posted on how it all goes.'

GOD BLESS!!
  • Good luck with your surgury....
  • :) hi! have you talked to your pt about this as well? what did they have to say? did they suggest 6 weeks is not that long in the big picture. is it time to develop muscles? strengthen your core? your doctor is a surgeon after all and that is what he does and likes to do. have you had a second or even third opinion? you can never get enough information and if you are talking about surgery i would get a confirmation on that. good luck whatever you do. Jenny :)
  • I've finally gotten access to a puter while away from mine. lulusheart, to be honest I have been doing conservative treatment for longer then 6 weeks, as I have been going to a chiro for over a year with this, but have been going to chiros for years. Along with the therapy I have also been out of work for 6 weeks and nothing has helped in fact I've gotten worse.
    I must say that I am scared about this surgery, but I'also had a gut feeling that this is where I've been headed for quite some time.
    Thanks to ya'll for the comments & wishes for the surgery and I hope everyone has luck in one way or another with their problems. I've been trying to find a post where someone recommended things that would be helpful post surgery, but can't find it. I will have my husband there to help with things. I will keep ya'll up to date on my newest adventure in life :)
  • :) you will need assistance after your surgery and if your husband wants to take care of you, let him. you may also find a lift on the toilet will come in handy and a grabber to help you pick up things. you can find these tools to assist you at your nearby pharmacy, drug store or medical supply store. do a search on the old SH archives under "Back and Neck" surgery for more information on this situation. have you tried posting under "Back and Neck " surgery here for some info? you really will need assistance so be sure your husband is up for the job. also check out the "Good News" forum here for a good read on some positive surgeries! Jenny :)
  • I now know that my surgery is scheduled for the 15th of Sept. I will go on the 8th for my pre op appointment, and get more info. Yes, my husband will be there and is wonderful in helping in matters like this. I have tried to search some of the past posts on surgery and recommendations of helpful things after, but I haven't had the time to sit down and do a whole lot, as my family and I have been dealing with our Mom, who's declining rapidly, and we had to set up hospice for her.
  • I'm hoping you will have positive results with the surgery and will certainly be thinking about you! I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. >:D<
advertisement