Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi I'm a newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Thanks for the welcome. I am a 49 year old female. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel, plantar facisitis, tennis elbow, lumbar stenosis, buldging discs, DDD and was told the numbness in my face and extremities was due to too much vitamin B-6. I just had a MRI that showed severe stenosis in my neck. I've been going to PT for 3 months now and it has helped tremendously with the pain management but not the muscle weakness in my legs and hands nor has it reduced the numbess. My PT told me that I have to give up horseback riding. Does anyone know if riding really does more damage?

I have an appt with a neurologist in 3 weeks to discuss what my options are. Surgery looks inevitable but I'm hoping I can put it off a little longer. It seems every year the technology and results get better so the longer I can wait the better, but not at the price of losing permanent function. I recently went to Disney World and had to use a wheel chair as standing in line is impossible for me now. It seems my activities are getting more and more limited. That's hard for an active person like myself!
advertisement

Comments

• :jawdrop: Oh my god you sound like you are going through it.

Welcome ;)
  • You are very smart in your thinking. Put surgery off as long as possible because they are getting better and better technology so hopefully it will be worth the wait. Plus there are just no guarantees that surgery will give you any relief at all. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i to am using conservative treatments to control my pain. i have no surgical option at this time and use exercise, stretching and now strength training to help me. meds have made a big difference as well. good luck and i hope you find a treatment plan to work for you in all areas! Jenny :)
  • As the owner of a couple of horses, I questioned the surgeon regarding riding. He stated not to due to the constant jarring (up and down).
  • Nice name! My daughter is a Lauren H.

Don't know if I can answer your question but wanted to let you know I can relate to your frustration over being told not to ride. I have 3 horses, and both my NS and OS told me not to ride anymore. You can see by my signature that I have many of the issues you have, only my stenosis is at L4-5. I don't know why, but my symptoms have backed off except a little tingling in my left foot and occasional carpal tunnel symptoms. I am 52.

It makes sense that the jarring of a good trot or canter would only serve to compress a spine that is already compromised. But telling me not to ride is about equal to telling me to divorce my husband. It ain't gonna happen. I know I'm taking a chance but most of my rides are moseying down the trail at a walk. My PCP told me that it's pretty much a doctor's obligation to tell you not to ride. Horseback riding is a risky hobby and doctors see serious injuries due to riding accidents all the time, especially NS and OS's. Last time I saw my NS and he asked if I'd been riding I said, "I sold my motorcycle and I am no longer doing any gymkanas" and he said "I've gotta give you that one. As long as you're not jumping or anything" and I assured him I'm not. Never did. I had only just begun gymkanas.

There are others here that ride, or used to ride. Maybe someone else will chime in. One I'm thinking of just had surgery yesterday and is hoping to ride later again someday. There was another gal who had surgery and was showing her Arabian just months later.

I'm not telling you to go out and ride. Some on SH have told me I could end up regretting it big time later and they're probably right.

Teri
  • to SH and good luck at the NS visit.
  • Im another newbie...not to chronic pain, but to this site. Good luck w/your journey!
  • lauren- welcome to site. I had to use a wheelchair at Disney World too as I could not stand that long in line or walk that much... Good luck at the dr appt.. :) jade
advertisement