Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

These pain symptoms normal?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hi There

As previously mentioned, I have loose pedicle screws from my T12 – L1. I just wanted to list my symptoms to get some reassurance that it’s normal. My symptoms are:

Lower back pain – that’s a given lol!
Hip pain – seems to be worse in my left hip
Feelings of numbness in the feet
Feelings of burning in the feet
Pins and needles feeling in the feet
Feelings of numbness around the knees
Feelings of numbness in the thighs

The strange this is, since having my daughter 16 months ago, I now have diminished reflexes on my lower legs. The NS hits me with that hammer, and nothing :?

advertisement

Comments

• Love your avatar! I wish that I could answer your question, but don't have hardware like you do from T12-L1. I have a friend who is fused at L1-L2 and she has similar symptoms. Don't know if you can draw any comparrisons from that. Her legs get so weak that she has fallen a few times and had to get assistance to get back on her feet.

The best thing to do, is to check with your doc.

"C"
  • Hi "C"

Thanks for the info. Actually, I made a typo, screws are from T11 - L1 for an unstable T12 fracture.

I told my NS about these symptoms. He then sent me for an MRI (in the past 12 months) and then I had a nerve conduction test in May.

The MRI didnt reveal much, I didnt think it would with the screws causing a flash on the images, but everything above and below the break looked fine. My nerve conduction test was normal.

My NS then recommended I take tegretol for my symptoms, as he said my central nervous system was 'mis-firing' and to come back if it got worse.

The loose screws only got picked up this week, when I went to my GP complaining of hip pain.

It may sound strange, but I guess I just wanted to hear that other people have experienced the same thing, and it's not 'all in my head'.

• Sneaky,

Your doc is giving you a strong drug if he thinks that it's all in your head. Tegretol although it seems fairly harmless, is a drug that can cause more drug interactions than many on the market today. Please make sure you do some homework on it if you plan to stay on it.

I have been on Tegretol for 8 out of 10 years. I had to take a two year break from it since it at one point lost it's therapeutic effect. It really ties up your liver (layman's terms) and it can increase the effect of most drugs and decrease the effect of a few others. Not one to be taken lightly.

When it does work, it is wonderful. I get the best effect from it when it is used with a concomitant drug. By itself it doesn't provide enough relief.

I've been told I have a screw loose a time or two =))

"C"
  • Hi "C"

I didnt end up taking the tegretol. I did some research on it, and I didnt want to take someting that strong while caring for my 16 month old daughter. I figured it was best to stay away from it for the time being

Out of curiosity.....does it work to help with neurological symptoms?
  • I don’t know if I am in the right forum. I am experiencing severe
    pain in my back approximately 6-8 inches below the waistline.
    Most of the times on the right side but can strike in the small of
    my back and left side. I have neuropathy and walk funny. Do
    you think this is causing the muscle spasm? The only time I can
    guarantee comfort is when I am in my LazyBoy or in bed. Thus
    my active life has been greatly curtailed. Does anyone have a
    suggestion. Should I ask my doctor for an MRI to see what
    is going on with me? Any input will be appreciated.
advertisement