Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is it Sciatic or What Help, Too much Pain Too Long

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Chronic Pain
I got a shot in my let hip back in Dec 2007 and since then I have been dealing with pain. Pain that began in my left butt cheek which has progressivly gotton worse and has spread down to my calf at times. First they said sciatic nerve, then changed to IT Band syndrom, now back to possible sciatic nerve damage. The pain is so bad at times I can barely walk. At times I have a shooting pain that buckles my knee. I finally got an MRI but no results yet. I use a tens unti, heat, cold, physical therapy and pain pills. It is managemable only if I take pain meds evey 4 -6 hours. Without the pills it is so painful I want to tell the doctor to cut it off. I am sick of living on pain pills and having my life this bad. I love to walk my dog and we have continued but had to cut down some. I walk about 2 - 2.5 miles a day now even with pain. It is very bad to lay on not to mention sitting all day at work. I bought a big pillow to sit on at work otherwise it would get too bad that the pain pills did not even help.

Please someone give me some hope? It has been 10 months of pain and it is not better, just worse even with all the stretching, PT and other methods I have tried.
advertisement

Comments

• for you. If 1 injection into your hip is the only thing that you have tried, there is still a ton of things that may help. the key will be to find the right doc and get the results from your MRI. I know that last dec seems like forever ago when you are dealing with daily pain but it really is not that long ago at all. You are nowhere near having tried everything that you can. it took me about three years to really even get a diagnosis but during that time I had a wonderful PM doc that tried the gamut of injections and finally a rhizotomy (nerve burn) that took about 90% of my pain away. I know that it is so easy to get discouraged when faced with daily pain but try and pull all of your strength together and be determined to get to the bottom of it. Hopefully the MRI will give you some answers but if not there are lots of other diagnostic tools that they can use to diagnose what is causing your pain. What type of a doc are you seeing?
  • If I am reading this right, your pain started as a result of the shot you got into your hip. Is this correct?

Welcome to Spine Health.

What was the shot into your hip for? Was it more towards the side or the rear of your hip?

Just questions to try and narrow this down a bit more.

Sorry you are hurting so bad.

"C"
  • how long since your mri? it should only take a couple of days for results. if you have herniated disk it will show up pretty clearly. if not you can get a discectomy. they inject a dye in your disc and if the dye spreads out you have a herniated disc. you can also have nerve test where they also inject dye into nerve. so there are all sorts of tests to see if you have herniated disc which leads to sciatic pain. my pain went from rt butt down rt leg and stopped at thigh. foot was numb and i could not stand or walk on heels. dr used hammer on knee and no response. leg was like a dead fish. my point again there are all sorts of tests drs can and should do to test for sciatic pain. if you haven't you should have them asap

jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • We may need more information for an accurate diagnoses. Im sorry to hear of your troubles. What kind of shot was it ? How long after the shot did the pain kick in ?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.