Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

From the ashes into the Fire-fox

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Water Cooler
Well Batfans it was bound to happen. I have been trying to upgrade from IE6 to IE7 and my computer just ain't having it. Seemed like everything was alright until I went to open another page and *POOF* I was an IE looping fool. Blech!

So I pulled up and old standby of mine *whisper* Opera *whisper* and downloaded Mozilla Fire-Fox. So we are in the trial run as of not even 5 minutes ago.

I have truly stepped over to the Darkside.

I think it was the soap and booze combo that BG wanted to try.

Wish me luck!

"C"
advertisement

Comments

• Version 5.1 SP2 with 2 Ghz of RAM

I have been trying to install SP3 and some other patches and IE7 and it hangs about 3/4 of the way into the install. This time I didn't get my original config back without a few glitches, so in the Interim I figured why not try something new.

• I LOVE my (ahem) Firefox. I can't stand anything else. There's a cool feature you can add on, It blocks any of those adds that you would normally see on the screen, You know, shoot the monkey win a big screen? Stuff like that.
  • C ,
    Stay away from SP3 for your XP, it caused havoc on my computer, ended up having to reinstall XP and do sp1 and 2. Just my opinion
    mark
  • maroseone said:
    C ,
    Stay away from SP3 for your XP, it caused havoc on my computer, ended up having to reinstall XP and do sp1 and 2. Just my opinion
    mark
    Mark,

I think I may be to the point where I need to reinstall XP anyway. (I love clean hard drives!) Just been putting it off and putting it off. Maybe my computer was trying to "tell me something" everytime I tried to install SP3.

Thanks for the opinion!

"C"
  • I do have virus and spam software installed and update the definitions daily. I also backup the critical files daily, so I'm covered there. Fortunately I run several drives and have the most critical stuff on separate drives.

I may try the IE7 install tomorrow when I'm a bit more coherent. I'm about to faceplant right now since it's 11pm and the Zanaflex is doing it's job.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted on the progress.

"C"

Oh and is it Fire-fox that is doing the spell check or is it the forum? This is something I haven't seen before.
  • It's fire-fox doing the spell checking. IMHO fire-fox rocks!
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    "C"
    Now, Firefox IS the way to go! With all the open end software and addons for Firefox you can get it to do just about anything you want.
    Its quicker which is good and safer which is great.

IE7... I have seen the same situation you had. 3/4 through the install and then nothing. What I did notice is that when I picked up the IE7 that came via Microsoft it did not install. I went after IE7 manually, picked that up and it did install. The difference I found with the hand me down from Microsoft vs going to Microsoft to get it was that during the install, you are told to reboot, once I did that, the install finished. That was the only difference.

I tried this on several machines:
    1 with IE6 so it was an upgrade
    1 with no IE so it was a fresh install
    It worked much faster when there was no IE on the system.
    Plus what takes some time and gets confusing is that IE
    generally includes Outlook Express., I didnt see that when IE7 was installed.

The auto spell checking in Mozilla Firefox is just ONE of the many addons you can get.

Got to TOOLS, then Add-ons from there you can get additional addons. The ones I always use are:

Gmail Manager
    Forecast Fox
    FireFTP
    Tab Browser
    Bookmarks Synching
    This are all with Firefox 2, there is a different set with
    the newer Firefox 3

Have fun
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Bruce said:
    It's fire-fox doing the spell checking. IMHO fire-fox rocks!

That I should have listened to you guys a long time ago and made the plunge sooner.

Admiral Ron,

Thanks for the info. I will sort through the mess tomorrow. Hubby is borrowing my van so I have to stay home and play on the computer. Oh darn. :-)
  • Just works... nothing to add on. I recommend Ad-Block plus... LOVE IT

P.S. Some websites still don't work with firefox. southwest dot com needs to be used in IE, some of the functions on that site don't appear in FF
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Amanda is so correct,
    There are still a few sites that have not come into the current times. Those sites need to change so Firefox will work with them.
    For years IBM was so in twined with Internet Explorer. When Firefox first came out, about 90% of IBM applications did not work with Firefox... Fast forward to today and about 99.9% of all applications work with Firefox.
    Its just a sign of changing.
    Mozilla Firefox will slowly overcome Internet Explorer as the most popular browser (this my opinion)
    And now that Google released Chrome, IE is going to have to do a lot to keep its followers.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement