Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How many of you...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Lower Back Pain
have re-learned to do things since your back pain started? I have had low back pain with sciatica for the past 9 months and just this week found out I have a herniated disc at L5-S1 and one of my vertebrate is shifted out of position. So I am just kinda curious and thought it might be kinda fun to see what kind of things you have learned to do differently and how. I do pretty much everything straight backed, i put my socks and shoes on with my feet sideways LOL, if my pants fall while I am putting them on I use my feet to pick them up. I wince when something falls on the floor and I have to pick it up. I am still trying to figure out a good way to trim my toe nails - so if anyone has any tips....LOL

PS - A little history since I am new: I have an appointment at a neurosurgery and spine place 10/17 so I am hoping the can bring me some releif. I have gone to the Chiro and that seemed to help but pain came back I have never done any type of therapy. Pain is the worst when I try to stand up from sitting or come back up from bending over. I usually have to hold on to something til the pain starts to fade and then after about 15 steps I am usually ok with maybe a little pain in my butt LOL.
advertisement

Comments

• christine- welcome to the forum. I hope the NS appt goes well and he is able to help. I have an extremely difficult time bending to cut my toenails. I go to a cheap nail place and get them done. I do understand doing things with a straight back and putting shoes on sideways.. :) jade
  • Hi Christine! You sound like me!! I was told at PT the other day, if you get up out of a chair, with your hand on your back, and it takes you a few minutes to get up... you've been sitting wrong/or for too long.

I'm supposed to pick up a "lumbar roll" to put on the back of my chair, to help with my posture. It actually takes pain away when using it. (We'll see)

As for clipping toe nails, this is a task better left to the professionals =)) so so risky to do at home... and they look so much better after than when done yourself. Could you imagine trying to paint those little white tips by yourself? Brutal!! =)) Sorry, feeling a little goofy today. But really who wouldn't enjoy a little mani-pedi? And for the sake of your back? Oh yeah!! I don't actually do this, but its a nice thought huh? The best way I would recommend, would to be to bring your knee up to your chest, with foot on the chair your sitting on, and clip like that.

We've had plenty of stories here about relearning simple tasks. One of our members actually had a serious injury shaving her legs!! I believe that she went in for rushed surgery yesterday. (leg shaving fiasco thread)

I posted a similar thread about doing laundry. Some good tips in there too
  • Thanks Amanda for the tip from your PT. That is exactly how I get up every time. Hand on my back while I slowly straighten out and wait for the pain to subside. I will start getting up more often. I have also been toying with the idea of a lumbar support pillow for my work chair, sometimes I ball my jacket up and put it back there and it feels better.

As for the toenails I have tried putting my knee up to my chest with my foot on the chair I am sitting on and its still to much on my back, I couldn't beleive how long my toenails were last time I cut them LOL :O But you are right it is a good excuse to go get a pedicure. I just might try that!
This discussion has been closed.