Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Saw my surgeon - he says I am OK

malawmmalaw Posts: 114
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Saw my surgeon this past week. He says that everything is in its place, but not much bone. Just a little fuzzy around the screw heads mostly. I got my Bone Growth Stimulator the next day and hope it works. I don't go back until Dec 23 so maybe by then I will have some bone. He wants all his patients to wear it 4 hours a day. That is so much easier to do Monday - Friday. I don't do so much during work, but Saturday and Sunday I have LOTS to do here.

He said the pains I am having are normal and that he also feels that I am probably doing more than I should, but that he didn't see any indication that I am messing the back up. He also admitted that my other arthritis is not doing anything to relieve pain. Also said in a perfect world I could take medical leave and rest when I hurt, but the world is far from perfect. At the rate the economy is going I will retire for good when I can't fuss at kids any more.

Still have some emotional moments, but the school jailer can't cry during the day. Have LOTS of hurt in my back. To me pain is sharp - like a cut - but sometimes hurt can seem almost that strong. I ice at least 2 -3 hours a night and that does the most (well, along with Vicodin).

Haven't been on as much since school started. Hope all are doing better or at least no worse. Sometimes that is what we hope for.

Will try to check in more often, now that my computer at work is up and running better.

LAW
advertisement

Comments

• Good to hear that everything is basically OK, and good luck with the bone growth stimulator.

All the best... Bruce
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• For me it's even hard to do the things we need to do Monday thru Friday while at work. It'd be so nice to be able to rest when we need to, wouldn't it? I've brought my exercise ball and my heating pad to work. I've had my tens unit here from time to time. It all makes me feel like I'm 83 instead of 43, but what else can you do?

I haven't had any bone growth yet either. I go back for more xrays on Oct. 23rd, so I'm hoping they see some then, but the achey pain sometimes sharp like you describe is always there. I've had 3 days since my surgery on July 10th that I didn't hurt at all, just stiff. All the other days, I've still had pain. It's depressing. I have arthritis as well plus still have a big bulding disc at L3/L4. I've been very sore in my upper back, neck, hips and legs. You name it, it's sore. I guess it's from the difference in posture? or surgical stuff done?

Hope the bone growth stim works for you. What does it feel like? Is it like a tens unit? I have a feeling that I'll be assigned one when I go back. Just wondering how much trouble it is to wear in the office and what it feels like?

Thanks,
    Melisa
  • I don't feel much of anything with the Bone Growther, it sometimes feel a little warm on my back. It is awkward - to say the least. When I am seated it comes up under the "girls", but when I stand up to move around it comes further down. The lady who delivered it said that it has a 4 hour timer and it does. At the end of 4 hours it turns off until midnight and then it resets.

The TENS is my life (job) saver. It got turned up to 6 today. I don't sleep well, and the jailbird kids were the proverbial "pain in the b----" today. Had to warn the principal about my two fighters - it ain't over. Oh, well, tomorrow will be a better day - I hope.

Anyway, the Bone Growth is not bad, and can be done in 1 hour sessions. If you get one, be sure you use it.

Later.
  • My dr gave me a BGS to wear, but I have to wear mine 24/7. It's attached with electrode pads on either side of my incision. The only time mine comes off is when I shower, and I simply unplug the electrodes and leave the patches on. I find that it is helping alot with the pain.
advertisement