Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical spinal cord compression

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi! I was hoping for some advice. I've had neck and left arm pain for about 3 years. A year ago I experienced severe pain on the bottom of my feet! Then I had cramps in my calfs and then pain down the front of my thighs. I went to many docs who said that it was Fibromyalgia. I went to an orthosurgeon who told me that the compression in my cervical spine needed to be watched.
I have been for Pt, steriod shots etc.
I recently moved to Grapevine Texas and sought out an MD who did accupuncture. She did a neck MRI right before I went out of town for 3 weeks. I have been having a great deal of difficulty walking with pain and stiffness. I am almost bedridden! I called this MD and she said that as soon as I got back, that I needed to get to a spine surgeon. I'm not schedueled to return to Texas for a week. Should I seek help here in Florida,or is it OK to wait? We have a single level house here. In Texas(where my husband presently works) we are in an apt which is a third floor walkup. I am also so confused about docs...neurosurgeon or orthsurgeon. I'm scared and need advice...there is too much scary stuff on the internet. I am 50 with a masters in education. I'm scared of surgery yet I'm scared of implications of doing nothing at this point. Please help!
Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. There is a lot of information here to absorb. I would call the MD back and make sure that it is safe for you to travel. If so then i would make a appointment with a spine surgeon via the phone before your return. Many of these surgeons have wait list and would hate for you to wait longer. Further if you need a second opinion your that much farther along. If you not sure of a surgeon have maybe the place your husband works could give some referrals as well as the doctor you have seen. To be scared of surgery is understandable as it is a huge choice but depending on what the mri shows it could be far worse by putting it off. Anyway welcome to spine health and if i can help in anyway please feel free to pm me. Keep us posted on your decisions.
  • After reading your reply, I called the doc in Texas and got a copy of the report. I am also getting a copy of the mri on disc. The doc said that I could travel, "just be careful" whatever that means! I'm thinking of seeing a doc in florida as long as i'm still here until saturday and possibly getting surgery done here. That 3rd story walk up apartment in Texas is looking more and more scary! I'm most concerned about doing more permenant damage then I may have already done. Thanks for your advice, I'm feeling a little better mental wise.
  • mellen658, you may want to ask your doctor first but if your going to be traveling, A soft collar might help keep your head from bouncing around and keep your neck still. maybe a pillow for your butt and A pillow for your lap to keep your forearms on. just a suggestion, Patsy
  • Hello Spine-Health,

Welcome to the forum. <:P
  • HI!
    Thanks, you are right. This has been going on with me for about 3 years and I travel by air a lot. I've always found that the U shaped pillow helps alot. I think I've decided to play it safe though this time and get the surgery done in Florida. The thought of sitting on the plane and then having my apartment on a 3rd floor walkup is intimidating!
    wish me luck finding a doc!
  • sending you LadyBug luck!!! Patsy
advertisement