Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Almost fainted with the PT

HaylieCatOwnerHHaylieCatOwner Posts: 117
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Matters of the Heart
I met with the PT today for the initial evaluation, and she was going over the basics (had the model spine and everything). I started feeling dizzy when she talked about how the disk has no edge to it now that the surgery shaved it off (discectomy) and how fragile it is. I felt so faint, that it got to the point where I actually had to lie down and they brought me a cool cloth, checked my BP and everything! What is wrong with me?

It's like mentally I've turned into a total wimp! I can't believe I can't handle the PT talking to me about reherniation without feeling faint. This whole ordeal with my back pain out of the blue and the surgery has been so frightening that I can't stand the thought of it happening again. I thought I was getting better about handling this, but I guess I'm not. I was able to finish the PT session, but now that I'm home, I'm feeling really scared, and that feeling of "things aren't going to get better" is back. I want to be the type of person who can handle things like this. I feel like I am back at square one. How do I get my sense of well-being and security back?

Thanks for listening,
Haylie
advertisement

Comments

• That all will come in time. Since your injury is still fairly new, you still have a long road ahead of you. When mine first went out on me, I was terrified to do anything. Now 4 1/2 years later it's hard to stop me from doing things that I shouldn't LOL!!! In time you will feel like you can handle it, just gotta take one day at a time and relax. Stressing yourself out about it will do nothing but make you feel worse. If that every happens again...just sit and relax...take a few deep breaths. You are definately not a wimp!! Heck...I know of grown men who faint at the sight of a needle lol. You've just been through alot, and the fact that you've made it this far with your sanity says alot. :)
  • Hayley yes it is scary all this stuff isnt it, i think accepting is hard as is the not knowing what way things will turn out, i think i am well passed the pt stage, but i wished i had tried it years ago and not just accepted pain pills and then had surgery which i think has made things alot worse, just u relax and dont get too uptight about everything cause that only makes things worse.............. stay strong and positive Hayley, thinking of u
  • Thanks ya'll for your kind words. The therapist was very matter-of-fact when she was talking to me about possible injuries, and hearing how often she sees reherniated patients scared me. It also scared me when she said, "we don't know what your other disks look like" meaning that this could happen again any second. I thought about it later, and since they did an MRI of my back, I am guess we do know what my other disks look like. If I were in a possible position for another problem with a disk, I think the NS would have said something. When I see her again in a few weeks for more exercises, I think I will try to focus on the exercises and not on her war stories.

One of the things that I found interesting was that lying on your stomach is the best way to take stress off your back. She also said that most people reherniate during the first few hours of their day, so to avoid high-risk activities especially during the first few hours after waking up.

Regarding her suggestion to avoid bending over, does anyone have any suggestions on how to wash my face without bending over?

Thanks,
    Haylie
  • Haylie,
    Any change is difficult and I know you want some assurance that things will be OK and in reality this is not possible, it does not fill us with confidence and for me that pain is now my life and the alternative to not having some acceptance is to look for a solution that is not possible. For you this is a natural process for improvement one step back and then two forward, the PT is good and you want and should tell the world because you are doing a fantastic job, in difficult and challenging circumstances and should be proud of your achievements.

Coping every day does not make you a wimp, but I do understand your sentiments, the pain we endure imparts the notion understandable that we can do less and less as time goes on and it is not until we get some close support and specific guidance that we see we can do more that even we expected of ourselves. It is reasonable that we are protective of our condition but within that range is the mode for some improvement and that starting is the most difficult stage in that changing process in we can get over the shock of that initial encounter we will improve week on week.

We need to pace more effectively and understand when these opportunities are possible and accept when that are not, we will not improve as others do and should not compare them to ourselves, considering we are in pain is never ceases to amaze me that we continue with that same spirit and endeavour to endure the next day, we do so with a smile when possible.

Sternbach the noted American pain academic wrote may books dealing with chronic pain and its consequences, have a look at some of them, keep posting, people are enthused by others success in the notion that perhaps they themselves could achieve this also. Only use one eye to look back reflectively, and use both to look towards your future, we all have some history and need to live in the future to survive, however it transpires.

Take care John
advertisement