Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MEMORY FOAM IS GREAT

wally2wwally2 Posts: 75
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Sleep Problems
I have been suffering from a herniated disk with a annular tear and DDD and recently bought a 2" memory foam topper for my bed. My bed already has a very good mattress but i wanted to try the topper also since I heard good things on this forum about it.

I like it alot, My sleep has improved and you feel like your body is being hugged gently with no sagging or rolling around. the 2" topper cost around $90 at Walmart but I feel it's worth it since they last a long time.
advertisement

Comments

• But I got a king size 2" from overstock, folded in half= 4" Think it was $70 and like $2 shipping. I Love it. Its also great folded 3 times, and put on the living room floor. Perfect combo of firm, and soft.

Thinking about buying the actual 10" one, they cost about $500 at the local discount furniture store. I've slept on the "real" ones at this hotel, and liked them.
  • They are nice.We have a king sized bed with a very good mattress,but it is pretty firm so I wanted to try the memory foam to see if it helped with that.My BF really needs the firmness and I never know what I want when it comes to a mattress.A few years ago while shopping for Christmas presents I saw the memory foam toppers on sale and bought one for us..I really like it.

My son was living w/us then~he moved back to PA.,but he's mentioned it a few times...glad to see this thread now too because I had forgotten and w/the holidays coming up I can start looking...maybe I'll get lucky & find one on sale.He has a full sized bed...now is'nt a full bed half the size of a king???? I'm wondering if I can get him a king size and he could maybe cut it in half & get double.He is only 22 and in seriously good health for which I am eternally grateful,but he has been complaining that his back hurts and he swears it's from his bed.Maybe the memory foam will help ;)
  • only got my full mattress on mon, didnt want just a topper, not bad price £360 in sale. first night was weird felt very strange. felt like a tortoise once i was on my back i couldnt turn over (my husband thought it was hilarious) getting used to it now and sleeping for much longer at a time. i would say to everyone give it a try, u have nothing to lose. i find it rather warm to sleep in but my husband is grateful that i no longer put my cold butt up against him he he
  • My BF says that it's warm,but I get night sweats off & on so I never noticed...I thought it was just me.. :/

Oh well...winters coming it won't matter,and my son is ALWAYS freezing so it'll work out great for him.

I'd like to get a new bed even though ours is nice I think the king is actually too big.Whenever I go to kiss him goodnight I gotta roll over..literally over.It's almost too much room,but can't afford a new one right now.
  • I have a full size, which is just bigger than 1/2 king. So on my side of the bed, the topper is folded in half. All the sizes on overstock cost the same, so I bought the King.
  • Told me about a great memory foam topper and I think it comes from QVC. I hope that I saved the info in my messages. If so, I will post it for you.
  • this is supposed to be awesome!

mattress topper go to QVC on the internet and click on "For The Home", then click on "Bodipedic", then click on "Mattress Toppers" and there you are! The topper info is; Item# H11962 Bodipedic Comfort Options Memory Foam Mattress Topper, size Queen $195.00 and will go up to $214.00. The King size is right there also and the item # is # H11963 $246.00 and will go up to $271.00. Everyone is rating them at 5 out of 5 stars. The only reason that a couple of the stars are lower is due to the lack of instructions. A woman with Fibro
  • For that info.Those prices seem a little high,but maybe the quality is better than mine.I'll have to check it out :)
  • Robin, for some one like me, who has been in chronic severe pain for more then a year and a half, this animation is depressing.
    Most people after back surgery at one time or another have at least thought about killing themselves. Its just not nice to have this reminder of what we live with every day as a concrete image in our memory.
  • If you are in an area of the Midwest that has Shopko stores they have a memory foam topper for about $139, I think, for Queen. I got one and it has made a huge difference! We have one of those sleep number mattresses but I absolutely could not sleep on it after surgery no matter what I did. The memory foam topper makes all the difference! I can even sleep on my back - and for the leg/hip that had nerve pain after surgery it was a godsend!
  • about the type of foam also. Not too long ago I read that lots of people were extremely allergic to one of them. I think it was the visco elastic foam.
  • For 43 years I have suffered with chronic back pain. Four surgeries later, I continue to have back pain. Every three months I have facet joints injected. Now those procedures are not beneficial to me. I have had three procedures since July 2008. On Oct 29, I will have a procedures where the nerves are burned. I would love to hear from someone who has had it.

For over three years I have used a two-inch memory foam pad on my bed. Two weeks ago, I purchased a memory foam mattress with lift to raise the head or feet. I thought it was too expensive to buy but since I have slept on it, I would not take anything for it. It was $5,500 well spent.
  • Others have had that MSC..,and some have had really good relief with it too... :) .I don't remember right now,but I think it may be called nerve abalation or something.I've read that they burn the nerves at the root,but they grow back in time :/ Different people have mentioned different time frames on their pain relief with the procedure,but from what I've read here in the forums,everyone that had it has has some relief.. :)

If you post in the introduction threads or another thread you are likely to get more responses.I happened upon this one only because I was trying to catch up on posts I had posted in.lol,I know that makes me sound like a narrcissist too,but really I'm not.. :S

I'm glad to hear you like the new bed.Good thing too at that cost and with four back surgeries.When I read that my eyes bugged out.I've had seven foot operations and they were painful,but there is a HUGE difference between foot surgery and spine surgery.I consider myself very fortunate when I hear of the stories about back surgery here in S~H.You should find a lot of support here.. :H
  • I have facet arthritis and the rhizotomy (nerve burn) has been a godsend! Good luck and keep us posted.
  • OK. I checked out those memory foam toppers at Walmart and I think that I may break down and buy one. Although a king was a good bit more than $90. My question is is the thicker 4" better than the thinner 1.5" ? It seems that it would be but you never know. Thanks for any input.
  • Had I seen this sooner,or if you would have let me know by PM I would have gladly removed it sooner...As it is I only just now saw it.

I never thought of it as offensive or I certainly would not have wanted to offend anyone.I was kind of "poking fun" of pain.That was the idea with the poking,but I see your point.

I've had 13 operations and suffered with chronic pain for 24 years~so I understand.

• Now I only have a 2" one,but I know someone that has the thicker one and yes it is MUCH better.
  • I've been using a memory foam mattress for the last year and have to say it's really helped my sleep my last mattress wasn't all to soft so that might have not helped with my back.
  • tempur bed it cost us 4000 pounds!!!! it was nice to look at but horrible to sleep on ,and as for getting of it in the morning forget it ,i tried to get of it in Nov 07 i was in so much pain that i managed to turn over on my hands and knees then got of the bed backwards when it cam time to stand up ..i could not do it because my S1 had ruptured the next thing to happen was the paramedics in my bedroom giving me entonox gas! and putting me on a spinal board .of to the ER the next day i was having major surgery on my back.anyway back to the bed thing we than bought a twin electrical adjustable bed made by VELDA and it had a hand made sprung and memory foam top on it ,,it puts the full tempur mattress to shame ,and it helps me get out of bed a lot easier because you can raise the back where your head is almost to 90degrees i can still only manage 3 hours then my legs start to burn and i end up on my recliner!
    STRAKER
  • Ok, so I really want one...BAD! I've seen many different toppers advertised at Target, Walmart, Kohl's, etc...with varying price ranges. Most of the ones I've seen advertised are 2" toppers. We have a queen-size bed and use fitted deep-pocket sheets. Do you just set the topper on top of the fitted sheet? Or does it go underneath the sheet but on top of the mattress pad? I'm so confused as to how these things are actually placed on the bed. In the pictures that I've seen, it looks like they are simply placed on top of the outer sheet..is that right? Also...my hubby doesn't seem thrilled about the idea of the topper covering the entire bed...would I be able to fold or cut the topper, so that it is just on MY side of the bed? Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Linda
  • It goes under the sheets. I have a full mattress with 5" of memory foam. I was lucky to get a twin and queen size for $700. each direct from the factory. I'm not sure if they're in business anymore but love the bed and memory foam pillow. Good investment for the back. Good luck Linda. Hopefully your bedding has deep pockets. I also love at least 250 thread sheets the bed is much more comfortable. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement