Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

REVISION OF BACK SURGERY

claudiacclaudia Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
HI ALL. I HOPE EVERYONE IS DOING WELL.
bACK IN NOVEMBER O6, I HAD A L-4 L5-SI THE MOST TERRIBLE PAIN, MY ATTORNEY REFERRED ME TO AN ORTHOPEDIC, ALL HE GOT WAS AN MRI, NO TESTING WHATSOEVER ALSO IAM TO BLAME DID NOT KNOW WENT BACK TO WORK IN 3 MONTHS BIGGG MISTAKE!! THEN WHEN THE COMPANY STARTED RANSFERING ME !! I STARTED GETTING ALOT OF HIP PAIN TERRIBLE THEN I COULDNT SIT OR STAND TO LONG,,MORNING ESPECIALLY
AFTER WALKING ON TREADMILL FELT BETTER SITTING ON THE COUCH AWE FULL TO GET UP. STARTED SEEING A PAIN MANAGEMENT TRIED EVERYTHING!! SPINAL STIMULATOR ALL KINDS OF INJECTIONS. NOTHING WORKED! N JULY I WENT FOR A RIDE OH FORGET IT I WAS SO SWOLEN HE SENT ME FOR AN MRI!! NOW I HAVE BULDGING A T-12 LI L-3 AND L-4 PLUS SCARE TISSUE MY HIP FEELS A LIL BETTER CUZ HE INJECTED SOMETHING IN THE JOINTS A COUPLE DAYS AGO I DID A DISCO GRAM,,WHICH CAME OUT POSITIVE ALSO DID A CTSCAN NOW THE PAIN IS LIKE SHARP NEEDLES IN MY BUTT AND SHIFTING!!I HAVE SCREWS AND RODS WENT TO A SURGEON HE THINKS A REVISION!! HE SAID ONE IS AN EMPTY SPACE HE SAID HE WOULD PUT BONE THERE AND NOW LEVEL DISEASE AT L3-4 HE WOULD GO A LEVEL HIGHER VERY DEPRESSED AND SCARED TO GO THROUGH IT AGAIN BUT IF I DONT WHAT WILL HAPPEN DOWN THE ROAD CAN I GET SOME FEEDBACK THANK YOU ALL
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome Claudia.

Sorry you may have to have a revision.

We are not Drs on here hun but just patients with our own personal experiences.
    If you need help around the boards one of the mods should be posting on this with the links to their names.

You say lawyer were you in a accident???
    Also what type of surgery PLIF, ALIF??
    Alot of drs will only do just a MRI and if they see it is bad enough to warrent surgery they usually will not do anymore testing. It was that way for my neck. It was so damaged that there was no other options.

Seems yes you went back to work to early. Most drs unless your almost tip top shape will not even release you to do so. Depending on your job type.
    Were you released by you Dr?????
    Most of us do not even start physical therapy till 3-6 months till they start to see fusion starting.

Since you have gone through all the tests now and other treatments and your dr feels that a revision is in need, most likely it is. But if you are unsure PLEASE refer to another Dr for a second opinion if your able, and feel safer that way.

I just had a revision 2 weeks ago. I will tell you the surgery went smoother, hospital stay was shorter, as I knew what to expect mentally. Recovery is a bit slower (i feel that way anyway) compared to the last. But remember if they are going to do the same exact operation over again. You are actually having 2 surgeries in 1. As they will remove everything and put all new back in.
    I'm taking this is what they explained to you????

I know how scary this is, but if your in that much pain as you say you are. Then most likely its in your best interest.
    Is there fusion at all??????
    Mine was do to non fusion and I startd having increased back pain.

Glad the injections gave you some relief for your hips.
    What meds are you on now for pain relief if you do not mind me asking???

Just weigh out all your options hun before making such a huge decision.

We are here to support you in anyway we can.

Hang in there
    Terri xoxoxox

• i A SLIP/FALL IN 2004 WENT TO LITE DUTY WENT BACK TO DRIVING GOT HRT AGAIN BACK TO LITE DUTY AND IN AUG 2006 MY FOOT GOT CAUGHT IN HE RAIL I FELL TOWARDS A WALL BOOM I LANDED BRUISED
    ALL OVER A FEW WEEKS LATER I COULD HARDLY WALK!! MY WORK COMP LAYWER FRIEND WHO IS A DR RECOMMED SURGE SO I DID!! NOW THE PAIN IS DIFFERENT BUT I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH HELL!! WHEN I WAKE IN THE MORNING I FEEL LIKE I AM BEING STABBED WITH NEEDLES S O I POP 3 VICODEN AND THAT GETS ME THROUGH THE DAY!! AT NITE SOMA BUT OF I DRIVE A LONG DISTANCE 20 MIN OR SO PAIN DID YOU HAVE A BACK PROBLEM!! I SEE YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH SO MUCH MY PAIN DR ADVISES THE REVISION AND THE SURGEON,I WENT TO ANOTHER SURG AND HE SAID IF THE DISCGRSM WAS POSITIVE THAN HE WOULD PROB DO THE SURGERY,THE WAY THE PREV SURG SAID TAKE THE HARDWARE OUT ITS NOT THAT GRETA ANYWAY GO A LEVEL HIGHER AND FILL IN THE DISC THAT HAS AN EMPTY SPACE I JUST HOPE IT DOES NOT MAKE ME WORSE
  • POST L4 L5 LAMINECTOMIES L4 TO SI POSTERIOR FUSION AND L4-L5 DISC PROSTHESIS NOW MODERATE BULDGING AT T-12 LI AND L3-L4 INTERVERTEBRAL DISC DEGENERATIVE CHANGES AS DESCRIBED WITH IMPINGEMENT UPON THE VENTRAL ASPECT OF THECAL SAC .I GUESS YOU CAN SAY SOOO SCREWED UP SOOO CONFUSED WHAT TO DO I LIKE TRAVELING AND WALKING ON THE TREADMILL I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE
  • TERI DO YOU HAVE SCREWS AND RODS THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP ARE YOU GOING TO RETURN TO WORK.. YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT THIS DOCTOR SAID I HAVE TO WEAR A BRACE FOR 3 MONTHS THAN START THERAPY I WAS BACK AT WORK IN THREE MONTHS DRIVING IN 2 HALF WEEKS JUST TO GET MY MEDS!!YOU ARE SO NICE
  • Sorry for your predicament. I hope the discogram can reveal the problem for you.

Welcome to Spine Health.

Could you please type in lower case. Some of us have a difficult time reading all caps.

Best wishes,

"C"
  • MY DISC GRAM CAME BACK POSITIVE!!! YUK

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH NOW JUST DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO
  • Terri,
    I know this post is old and you are probably feeling good by now but I have a couple of questions. I had a fusion on L4L5S1 in October of 2011. I was doing really well had basically stopped all pain medication and was doing an exercise class twice a week. What a mistake that was. About a month ago I started having terriable pain to the point I could not stand straight or if I did stand straight i was compleatly stiff. Anyway went for an xray and it showed that some of screws had come loose/fallen out. We decided it would be best for me to have a revision. I am wondering what it intails. Last surgery I was in the hospital for 4 days, and lots of pain. (I have a low tollerance for pain)Came home with a walker, and basically did nothing for the first week or so. I did not drive for almost a month. How long before you were able to drive? The reason I am asking is we are scheduled to move in July and my surgery in scheduled for May. Wondering if you might give me some advice. I am a little nervous about this. Anyway any help would be greatful. Michelle
advertisement