Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone know what all this termonlogy means?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I got a copy of my radiologist report on my MRI and well I dont know what some of it means, I was hoping someone here may know the "english" translation LOL... Here we go: Mild endplate degenerative spurring noted at C5-6 and C6-7. (is that the fancy way to say arthritis?) This results in mild cervical spondylosis. (whats spondylosis?) Mild neural foraminal stenosis is noted at the C5-6 level bilaterally. (well thats nice, have no idea what it means though lol) OK thats part ONE and might as well be written in Chinese!

Part Two: Large disc herniation at the left C6-7 level. This broad based disc herniation has a transverse dimension of 12.0 mm and extends into the left lateral recess(didnt know I had a lateral recess), as well as into the left C6-7 neural foramen (Is a neural foramen like a forman of a shop? well they are all fired!! lol). The herniation extends into the spinal canal about 6.0 mm. There is no bone marrow edema or evidence of occult fracture. The cervical cord is normal in appearance.

Ive decided that Im going to do everything I can to avoid surgery but I probably shouldnt have gotten this report now it makes me nervous. Mostly because I dont really understand what all this medical termonology means. The NS said I could put it off for awhile, so I told him I wanted to do that, so he says come back in a month (awhile to me is more than a month) to see where Im at. Just when I thought I knew what was going on LOL....
advertisement

Comments

• Ok so I panic when I dont get it LOL anyway I called my aunt who is in her late 60's and has had several back surgeries, fractures etc. She explained it pretty well, so I get it now. Pretty much the same thing Ive heard before but in "nutshell" versions. Reading this thing just freaked me out a bit!
  • Hi, welcome aboard,
    If you need someone to talk to you can P.M.
    patsy
  • Ya just never know until a surgeon reads your report. I could tell you what I think it means but I won't because Papa will come chasing me down :D :X :* ;)

Are you having any symptoms as in numbness/tingling, loss of fuction in any of your arms?? Headaches etc???
    If you do then I can tell you my experience with it..

Hang in there!!!
    Terri ;)
  • But obviously a medical professional will be the best
    " Mild endplate degenerative spurring noted at C5-6 and C6-7. " Not sure what they mean by endplate but degenerative changes are usually explained as wear and tear , like osteo arthristis but spurring is osteophytes or formation of boen to help stabilize your neck. I have many of them and where they form is key.
    "This results in mild cervical spondylosis. (whats spondylosis?) Mild neural foraminal stenosis is noted at the C5-6 level bilaterally. " bilateral is both sides
    From a medical website spondylosis- Spondylosis (spinal osteoarthritis) is a degenerative disorder that may cause loss of normal spinal structure and function.
    my understanding is the foramen are the openings where the nerves come out of the spine and stenosis is constriction or narrowing.
    Obviously a herniated disc but I'm not sure about the rest of it. I hope I helped some and that you can get it explained to you. Insist on detail!
  • aetown said:
    I got a copy of my radiologist report on my MRI and well I dont know what some of it means, I was hoping someone here may know the "english" translation LOL... Here we go: Mild endplate degenerative spurring noted at C5-6 and C6-7. (is that the fancy way to say arthritis?) This results in mild cervical spondylosis. (whats spondylosis?) Mild neural foraminal stenosis is noted at the C5-6 level bilaterally. (well thats nice, have no idea what it means though lol) OK thats part ONE and might as well be written in Chinese!

Part Two: Large disc herniation at the left C6-7 level. This broad based disc herniation has a transverse dimension of 12.0 mm and extends into the left lateral recess(didnt know I had a lateral recess), as well as into the left C6-7 neural foramen (Is a neural foramen like a forman of a shop? well they are all fired!! lol). The herniation extends into the spinal canal about 6.0 mm. There is no bone marrow edema or evidence of occult fracture. The cervical cord is normal in appearance.

Ive decided that Im going to do everything I can to avoid surgery but I probably shouldnt have gotten this report now it makes me nervous. Mostly because I dont really understand what all this medical termonology means. The NS said I could put it off for awhile, so I told him I wanted to do that, so he says come back in a month (awhile to me is more than a month) to see where Im at. Just when I thought I knew what was going on LOL....
    I had a herniated disc at at C6 - C7 that was impinging the left side nerve root. Well, one day the disc came apart. It pukes it's guts out and part of it went into the foramen, crushing the nerve. Talk about pain!!! Once they figured out what was going on with a new MRI I went under the knife real quick.
  • My NS explained to me that the fluid inside the disk has a protien in it that causes inflamation, this is why after the initial "pop" I didnt think anything of it, no pain. He said it takes a couple days before the tissue inflames, but BOY did it! I worked with a Chiro until my Dr. appt came up and it was a very painful road. The Dr. put me on anti inflamitories, after about 2 doses the pain went away. I continue to work with the Chiro, and have been able to decrease my anti inflamitory medication by 1/2, heck I didnt take it at all yesterday and woke up without pain, just more tingles in the hand. I have more mobility in my neck than in June/July, much less pain, and most of the time just the tip of my index finger is numb. I see that as progress from the summer when I would have went under the knife without a second thought. I may still have to but Im going to do everything I can to avoid it for now anyway. How did your surgery go Frustrated? Are you all better now, no pain no tingling? Ive read some horror stories on here of what people have been through and that is the major reason Im putting off my ACDF 2 level.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    I have always stressed on this site, that members are not medically qualified to interpret MRI reports. What you may receive is their own personal view based on their experiences.
    None of that should be considered medical fact.
    The only true reading of your MRI reports needs to come from your doctor(s). And if they do not provide you with information that makes sense, you have the right to ask them to explain in laymans terms so that you fully understand what is going on.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was just trying to help with the lingo and clearly stated I'm not a medical dr!
advertisement