Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NS appt. today. Recommends ACDF on C6/C7 (m)..

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well. It was so nice to finally meet with a neurosurgeon to get so many of my questions answered. First he did a thorough exam. Then he explained to me that while my symptoms were not severe, they were mild to moderate in regard to lack of reflexes, loss of strength in left arm, and of course my pain level, etc. etc. However.......because the herniation I have at C6/C7 is significant and IS sitting right on my spinal cord he informed me it if I didn't choose to get it fixed I run the risk of being "at risk" of becoming paralyzed if I were ever to be hit from behind in a vehicle or a very bad fall. There is no room for error there - anything with an impact could paralyze me. Sooo. he of course is recommending ACDF one level - but that's according to my 10/07 MRI findings.

I have to go in for another MRI next Monday then the next Monday after that I meet with him again to discuss MRI findings and surgery date and of course what type of surgery.

He agreed, I've tried and been through everything to try to relieve my symptoms and agreed this was the best route.

He was so VERY nice and sat and listened to all my concerns and such. He did mention about the bone spurs and that was a concern too, but we just can't decide or plan on anything yet until we have a new MRI.

So, that's that, I'll keep you all posted Thanks for all your support everyone!
advertisement

Comments

• oh and GUESS WHAT - this NS said he has seen many patients with this C6/C7 herniation and BURNING FEET - Hmmm, I've been dealing with this for a year and was told over and over there was NO connection (from the Dr's). Now I finally have an answer on that too. He obviously couldn't guarantee it would go away though But hey, we'll just have to see. It's something I can live with
  • I certainly hope that your surgery is successful. It sounds like you've got a great neurosurgeon. Do you mind if I ask you what your symptoms are and what types of conservative treatment you've done? I'm pretty sure you mentioned it quite recently but my brain is fried today. 8}
  • So glad you appointment went good with N.S.
    I will be looking for your update with new MRI.
    keeping you in my thoughts.
  • hi, wish u luck next monday and hope your new mri gives u a well defined path to take for your problems. in the mean time, please be careful like your docs said.
    God bless all
    kc
  • Wow- you really had some surgery! Thank you god you are walking as your siggy says ;) Do you have a copy of your MRI report by any chance? I am curious to see how it read and what the problem was prior to your surgery. I am so anxious about getting an updated MRI cause I would be any money it's definately worse than the 10/07 MRI. Well, thanks for replying to my post and I am being careful.

My neck is very stiff too by the way - ALWAYS is stiff. I'm always turning it this way and that way to try to loosen it up or stretch the muscles on the sides. I always hear a lot of crunching when I do that and a lot of times it cracks (you know like some people crack their knuckles). It has been doing that for years and years. I just wonder what the crunching sound really is? Air?

Anyhow, thanks again and take care!
    Sandra
  • Things to think about prior to surgery. I see that you have tried all other methods with no relief but surgery (any type) should be the very last resort. I just had my second surgery on my neck and this one was due to the stress caused by a ACDF surgery that I had back in the late 90's (seems like surgeons forget to tell about possible future complications). I know you had a list of questions for the surgeon regarding your symptoms when you went to talk with him/her but make sure you have a list also regarding all options, recovery, and what the future might bring to you if you go through with the surgery. So I guess what I am trying to say is make sure you get a second and even third opinion and then sit down with your family to discuss things before rushing into surgery. I do understand the pain and discomfort you are living with. Make sure you also check into other types of surgeries prior to choosing ACDF. Discuss this with your surgeon. Best wishes to you and your health/pain relief and good luck if you go through with the surgery.

Rob
  • Thanks for updating us. Interesting you mentioned that about the feet, I've had burning like sensations in my right foot quite often! Someone mentioned neuropathy but I have yet to see the NS.My bones are "encroachiing" on my spinal chord lying down but I suspect its up against my spinal cho9rd sitting. Pain gets much worse.
  • I had an ACDF on Sept 9th. I was in excrutiating pain prior to it, with numbness and weakness. When I awoke from surgery the pain was gone.
advertisement