Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horror Stories- Things I did to make more problems

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,721
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Maintenance
I am sure that if I asked ever member on this board that has had some kind of spinal surgery IF they ever did things that they knew were going to cause problems, a large number would say YES

I am one of them.
With my Seven Spinal Surgeries and bad discs in each section, I should be well aware of what I can not do. BUT........

Raking Leave. Pulling into your bottom is harder on your spine then Pushing. But once the leaves start to fall, I am out there. And if I do too much, I will pay the price

Shoveling Snow I know I shouldn't even try it, but so many times we dont have any choice. And I know with each shovel full of snow, I am going to be paying a price for doing that

Gardening I love being out in the garden and dirt, and I love putting together stone walls. What I dont pay attention to is the weight of some of those stones. And the way I get them from point A to point B can be proportionate on how long my fare up well last

I could go on and on. I will say that in the past 5 years I have become much better about this. But that still meant
from 28 years old to about 53, I did so many things I should have never done.... Now, will I be paying a price later on in life???
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• fortunately, we don't have that necessary evil. Pine straw...yes, but have a rake that pulls behind lawn mower. Just have to get son to help pile it up while i ride around...hehhe DO NOT CLEAN OFF ROOF...let someone else do it.
  • I'm sure you do these things when wife is not looking.

I think we all do this at times even though I have not had my surgery yet, I'm to wear my collar when ever I'm up trying to walk, while in car and when sleeping. but just yesterday it was so beautiful out and the ground all covered with leaves... here goes Patsy (with granddaughter.. my helper)walking around yard cane in hand NO collar.. trying to pick out some weeds, but I will tell ya I felt so good doing it and the fresh air was like ohh i cant even tell ya.

This is what I Think... You must have a pretty Good wife because. It takes a good women to put together a good man.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,721
    She's the one that keeps me in the line. And you are right, the stupid things I do is when she isnt' around to tell me not to do it. Who knows some day I might grow up and become mature! - NAW!

• The worst thing I think, immediately after a micro-D at L5-S1 in 2000, was leveling a half acre lot. We had a godforsaken plot of dirt that our house sat on. We brought in two dump trucks full of fill dirt that had to be spread. I did most of it myself, with a rake. Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dummmmmmb! :) Oh well, live and learn!

One Love,

Stephanie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,721
    I can see the entire picture.... You know there is a task that has to be done, you see it there looking at you, so want do you do?
    You do it!
    Then then we whimper later that night

• i over did it many times this summer preparing for our move.
    1. lifted things way to heavy which only amount to about 40#
    2. smacked my head into a few things while clearing out our storage.
    3. i still lifted things loading and unloading the uhaul truck even though i arrianged for plently of help through our church, i guess i am not use to just watching others work.
    4. i have a saying "my goal is to do everything possible i can to prevent myself from having another surgery", but i find these words are more difficult for me to follow 100% of the time.
    5. it makes my wife mad when i do these things above and i do know better. i also get mad at my self.
    i have noticed that i am getting better at not over doing it.
  • When one is a Type A 'Git'R done' type to sit and watch things pile up. We don't have family to help and money is too tight to hire help ya know?

I have to make myself count to 10 and think of another way to do things rather than plow into it which has always been my style. Some tasks I can modify. Other things must wait and hubby and I do things slowly together.

Dear hubby's back is really bad too so next spring we will try to move into town to a small apt. Too much upkeep now out here in the country.

I did some overhead touch up painting I paid for for a week with my neck and picked up some brush in the yard. Ouch, my back screamed at me similarly for a week. Nobody else to do it ya know? and when the yard starts looking like heck after a storm we have to pick stuff up.

Everything slow and steady, lots of rest periods, stretching, think through each task and resist plowing into projects has been my new mantra. :)

Tough for a leopard to change its spots tho. :$
    Hugs to all here.
  • The thing that was the hardest for me to catch myself was not bending over and petting or picking up my 18 lb. dog. I was pretty good with the no bending, lifting or twisting otherwise, but I had to continually remind myself to not automatically bend over to deal with the pup. It took the pup some getting used to, as well.

Also, standing at the sink and twisting and bending just enough to put dishes in the bottom of the dishwasher - a big no no!! That seems so simple, but don't do it!
  • I am my own worst enemy.
  • I lost my balance and slipped down the carpeted stairs on my behind post op. I strongly recommend against trying that :''(
  • Get bucked off my horse anymore
    Quit bucking bales of alfalfa
    digging fence post holes
    halter breaking calves and not letting go when they pull away

all above over now that ranch sold........but

when moving into town, packing boxes and furniture up stairs
    two car accidents
    painting ceilings, a big no no
    DON"T GET OLD :D
  • I am proud of all of you. Some of the things you have done, I could not have done when my back was good!!!!

You rock!!!

Dee =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
advertisement