Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got SCS Trial Implant Today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Got my trial implant this morning. Good response with at least 80% reduction in leg, lower back pain :) I'm pretty sore after the procedure but know that will go away.
The rep was great and talked with me at great length about what to expect during the trial. He plans to call me every day to see how I'm doing.

So far there have been no suprises- thanks to the great info on this forum. I go back to my PM doctor on Monday. Says I should have a good idea of the SCS success by then.
advertisement

Comments

• That's fantastic!!! Thanks for the update. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

"C"
  • Hi,

I'm glad the trial surgery went well. Take good notes and give the trial a good workout without moving the leeds.

Try and do things that would normally agrivate your pain level to see how the SCS will react. If your pain level goes higher from getting in and out of the car or long car rides do that activity. I had an awful time being able to sit for more than 15 minutes until I had the rep move the leeds to cover my tailbone. During the trial I did not take as much break through medications because I felt like I didn't need them.

Keep the trial as long as you can, the usual length is no longer than 7-10 days because of infection possibilities. Even though you'll want a full shower you will want the pain relief more.

Please keep us updated, OK :)
    Take care of you,
    O-
  • I had my trial implant 4 months ago and was told from the reps as long as I can feel the stimulation and mild relief the permanent implant would be so much better. I actually did feel some relief from my pain and was feeling optimistic. I eventually had the Spinal Cord Stimulation Implant done and after a few weeks my post-op pain was gone. What bothered me right away was when I got out of surgery and the Medtronic Reps came to do a basic 2-channel program, they became confused but tried to hide their concerns from me. It appeared from what I heard from their conversation that the unit programming was somehow backwards. I omitted what I heard and was looking forward to my pain relief. So after my insurance paid out a little over 120,000 dollars and 3 months later, I noticed that the area I specified to have stimulation was not on the radar. After being released from my neurosurgeon, and back under the monthly monitoring from my pain management doctor I requested an appointment from the Medtronic Reps to open a few more channels on my unit and concentrate on some specific areas of pain. Once again I noticed the quite concern between the two reps looking at each other like "this thing is not working as it should". I did not say anything negative, but out of the possible 16 channels they can open up on my "MyStim" controller, they could only open up 1 more, which was to be focused on my L4-L5 area but when turned on it was sending the signal to my abdomen area. After 1 1/2 hours of tinkering with all options, the rep told me it would take 6 more months for my spinal paddle to connect better to my spine. It was then I realized I was thrown under the bus. The next month I had a routine visit with my pain management Dr, they disregarded my concerns and told me I should appreciate the pain relief I am receiving and reduced my pain meds by 40%. I was open to the idea, figuring I was having pain relief from the stimulator and 2 months have gone by and realize they have NO idea what I am going through. I now have severe pain around my implant area which now I no longer carry a wallet in my back pocket, cant sleep on my right side, and have more pain in above and below the implant area than I have with my original multiple fractures and herniated disk. So, long story short, I go in this Monday for an XRAY to show the implant and lead going to the spine paddle and see if I am having rejection or muscle spasms in the area. I am a really concerned that I went through this whole process and after a few months my Neurosurgeon and Pain Management Doctor tends to dismiss my concerns. It's messed up, my pain is somewhat relieved but now this new device is causing more pain than before. ... I will update after Mondays Dr. Appt. to see what they say.
    Hoping for the best for all of us, Bobby-TX

Thanks for the posts, I don't have anyone to talk to....

• Wow what an experience. I hope that the docs can get it figured out and squared away for you. Is there any chance that the unit flipped in the pocket?

Hey there's several of us here that you can discuss your SCS with and of course thousands here to cover everything else it seems. You don't have to be alone in this.

"C"
  • It's great to get all this positive support :))) Were any of you still sore the next day? My pain is managed but by back - where the lead was placed is pretty sore. Shouldn't complain but wanted to make sure that was normal.

Bobby - I'm so sorry to hear about your roller coaster experience. I hope you get things resolved quickly.
  • CONGRATS LITTLEBENNEY!!!HOW WONDERFUL IT MUST BE TO GET SOME RELIEF. MY LEGS ARE SCREAMING IN THAT "I NEED A ROOT CANAL" SORT OF WAY AS THE TEMPERATURE DROPS TO THE LOW 40S AND RAIN AND SNOW ARE IN THE AIR. MY PM FINALLY GOT THE PSYCH EVAL (AFTER ONLY WAITING A MONTH) AND MY PAPERWORK IS OFF TO THE INSURANCE CO. HOPEFULLY, I WILL SOON BE BASKING IN THE GLOW OF PARENSTHEIA. SUSAN
  • In between my shoulder blades, it felt like I had been hit with a baseball bat. That eased up after a few days, but there was a dull ache there for several weeks. The pocket for the generator ached and too much movement like getting up and down from a chair or riding in the car would cause it to burn, but that would settle if I did and with a little anti-inflammatory.

These aches and pain were so negligible compared to the pain I felt before the implant, that I ignored them and just pressed on with enjoying myself.

The first two weeks I would be active one day and rest the next based on how I felt and how active I was the day before.

I was just so happy to feel good, that I didn't notice it after a while.

"C"
  • That's great news. I hope that you get word soon!

"C"
  • Congrats on getting your trial stimulator in! I had my trial a few weeks ago and had great relief from it.

I was scheduled to get my permanent SCS implanted yesterday, but got a call the afternoon before saying that there is an insurance glitch. If I decided to get it anyway I could have been out of pocket for the whole thing. I was soooooo disappointed that we have to postpone it. We have to try to get things straighted out before I will go for the permanent one.

Good luck LittleBenney! The thought of less pain is very exciting!

Diane
advertisement