Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 months post, 3 level fusion, pain in right buttock and hip while turning over in bed

lynnsyllynnsy Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi ya everyone.... I had my three level spinal fusion 9 months ago, am healing and doing great really, better than I was anyway, still got time to go, but better...

My problem is for about a month now, when I turn over to my right side while sleeping, I have some pretty good pains in my right buttock and right hip, it does not shoot down my leg, just right in my hip and cheek, and only when I roll over in bed, not when I walk, or sitting, only when I roll over to that side in bed. Not when I roll to my left, there's no pain at all going that way. After viewing my MRI photos (from after my fusion) it looks like my spine curves to the right. Oh, I was fusing real good at 23 weeks, so I'm assumming by now it should be totally fused.

I'm wondering if it's due to the pressure I'm putting on my right, and my spine just doesn't want to bend that way?,.. and it's happier when I go with the curve? or something else. Maybe this is normal, or has anyone else experienced these pains when rolling over in bed. Or should I be concerned and go in to get a new MRI, and set up an appointment with my Neurosurgeon (who released me at 23 weeks post) Thanks guys...
advertisement

Comments

• I was thinking about you the other day as I remember you were a few months ahead of me.

Now are you sure the pain is coming from your back and not from your hip? When you roll onto your right side what position is your knee in? Is it facing towards the mattress sort of inverted?
    Also when you settle does the pain stay there or do you have to shift position to make it go away?

If you have been having it for a while now and everything else is good with your back walking, standing sitting etc then I would suggest you go to your local Dr and see what he thinks. He may order an x-ray of either your back or hip.

Hope it eases up for you
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • Hey Angelback, It's when I roll onto my right side from being on my left. It's when I twist. I think I'm going to hurt for a long time with twisting, you can definately feel the hardware when ya twist. And yes, it hurts until I finally fall back to sleep and yes I have to twist just a little in different ways to make it comfortable enough to go back to sleep on my right side. For the last few nights or even I think a couple of weeks, the pain makes me moan out loud, ...throws me off.