Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

question for those who have had radio frequency ablation (burning of the nerves)

dbullwinkelddbullwinkel Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello. In addition to dealing with the recovery from my cervical surgery, my back has decided to act up..I had RF done in 2006 and it worked great for my back problem. I had the right side done in May...was supposed to go for the left shortly after. Put it off because I felt so lousy with my neck (surgery was in July) and just couldn't deal with it. Well, now the left side is bad since I am trying to walk alot. I had the left side done last Thursday and BOY OH BOY is the pain BAD!!! The doctor said I was very slow responding to his questions to locate the painful areas, so I am thinking maybe the needles were in there too long...never had pain like this the other 3 times. This morning I could not bend without screaming; pain all the way down my leg. 2 ultracet, ice and walk and I felt a bit better. I am probably going to call the PM doctor tomorrow to touch base with him..just wondering if anyone else had a major increase in pain after having Radio frequency ablation(burning of the nerves in the facet joints). I know it takes a couple weeks to see if it helped..but just looking for advice :)))Thanks. Donna
advertisement

Comments

• that is what I thought.. no, No steroids, just heat. My OS put me on steroids (shot in my shoulder and medrol pack) for suspected rotator cuff tear..they should help my back as well. I will give it a few more days. thank you.
  • Hi dbullwinkel,

My RF was done 3 weeks ago (L3-L4-L5) and my pain has increased, but only by a small margin. I had a hard time determining when they were stimulating the first nerve but the other two were very obvious -- and all three were different. My back has finally decided it's no longer angry about having the actual procedure done, but I still have the back pain. Just in wait mode for that to end. No steroids for me either, just novocaine for each burn. I did get a TENS unit this past Friday which has allowed me to go to work without taking some of my meds -- way cool.
    Jay
  • Yo

This past June I had RF Ablation to fix A-Fibulation (irregular heart beat). I am back to normal sinus rhythm. So far so good.

Harry
  • Harry,
    I didn't realize they did RF ablations for a-fib, that's pretty cool & glad it's working out for you! Was this a nerve at your heart?
    Jay
  • i had rf c5 c6 on 28feb this year leaving me with a lesion in c5 causing extreme burning skin sensitivity from my neck all the way down my right arm to my wrist with intense excrutiating nerve pain from my neck across my shoulder down my arm again stopping at my wrist. My hand ached so badly that it felt as if it had been smashed with a hammer. I noticed after a couple of days I could not raise my arm at all, yet my arm from the elbow down seemed to work fine. The pain was so bad I could not even walk round the house without being in agony which ended with me having to take a cocktail of up to 30 tablets a day.Leaving me house bound for around 7 wks with no let up in the pain at all. When I did start getting out for short walks I had to have my upper arm strapped up as the movement aggravated it so much. None of the muscles in the top of my arm are working due to the nerve damage which basically leaves the top of my arm flapping and feeling as if I'm carrying a ton weight in my hand pulling my arm down out of my shoulder. It is now almost 3 months later and most of the main pain seems to have gone except for in my shoulder and the upper arm however I still have no strength and cannot raise my arm comfortably above quarter of its range i've been having hydro therapy where my arm just floats along on the surface and i use a tennis ball for resistance and cannot physically sink it which is unbelievable as i am an 18 stone male and manual worker. In october 2010 i had my left side done c456 and that side has been absolutly brilliant pain free and excellent movement so I've had both sides of the coin and am hoping I'm going to recover from the down side and would really like to hear from anybody that has had similar problems and have recovered or not
advertisement