Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm off to see the wizard!

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I am off to get a new back. 12:30 appt for a 2 level TLIF. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers if you would.

One Love,

Stephanie
advertisement

Comments

• best wishes...no worries though...we hear he is a whiz of a of a wiz if ever a wiz if ever there was... :) jade
  • Yeah Stephanie!!
    You will do fine sweetie.
    Remember like we have discussed before your going to have those tuff days and sometimes it seems like forever before we feel great again. But your strong and will come out with flying colors!!!!
    I will see your post when I get home next week!!!!!!
    Love ya lots pumpkin
    Terri xoxoxox
  • 8} sorry had to post again lmao
    ya know in your picture how you have a red dress on?
    well outside my window on a branch is a red cardnial!!! that is so cool!!!!

i know im weird! 8} 8}
  • Stephanie, my thoughts and prayers are with you. It'll be over before you know it. Hang in there and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Cath
  • I'm sure everything will go fine. I'll be praying for you.

Mark
  • Hi All,

This is Stephanie's husband.

Surgery is done, and the neuro says it went well, not a terrible amount of bleeding, etc.

She spent a few hours in recovery as they were trying to find an effective pain management mix.... still kinda rough, but she wanted to get into the regular room.

Regular room is tiny, and my suspicion is that this was once the janitor's closet.

She is in pain, but is in relatively good spirits... and wanted to make sure her spiney friends knew she's past the surgery, and appreciates all of your encouraging words, concern, love and support over the last few months.

When she's doing a little better, she'll have her laptop, and will be available to chat, post, etcetera.

Thanks, Steve
  • Thanks for the update Steve :) How great of you to keep us informed. Tell Stephanie we are sending love, and hugs, and prayers her way. The first days are rough, but it will get better, so hang in there. >:D< >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Hugs to Stephanie and to you for being so kind to give us an update. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • glad to hear Stephanie is out of surgery and in her room recovering..Hopefully she'll be home soon and out of the hospital..I never got much sleep in the hospital as they were waking me up all the time--taking vitals, giving meds, drawing blood and all the loud overhead pages (paging Dr Heart) and bright flourescent lights in the hallways and on and on..It sounds like she is in good hands though....jade
  • Hi all,

Steve again...

Stephanie's doing a bit better from the last update sent.

She is still in pain that spikes at different times, but from my outside opinion, she seems to be generally doing better at this point... at least for a few hours. She is currently on a Dilaudid self delivered drip (pardon spelling errors). Morphine, Ketamin, Norco, Hydrocodone, Phinergan were all tried without apparent result.

For spasms/ muscle relaxation: Flexeril, baxa-something.

It is heading towards the spiking again, so we're getting the doctor paged/whatever to re-evaluate what she needs at this point.

She's finally eating - a little, has received some flowers and a few calls, but isn't quite up for more of a larger visiting group yet (we did warn them in advance this was pretty likely).

All in all, not the easiest of days for her, but better for the responses she'd received, and the advice she's been given from this group... from the husband's perspective, I am grateful for this. This is not something I know how to fix, and feel pretty powerless to do anything to 'make it better' - so it's nice to know she has concerned friends who do know something about this that she's been able to rely on with better counsel than what I am able to offer.

Spiking still, so stopping the update for now.

Steve

• Thanks for keeping all posted on how Stephanie is doing. Tell her it will get better. The first few days can be a bit rough but she will get through them.
  • Thanks for the updates and the "connection". Let Stephanie know that I wish her the best and hope they are able to get her pain under control and that she is able to go home comfortably.

"C"
  • So good of you to keep us informed, Steve! And please take notice, that those of us who had our surgeries are fully aware how much the support and help of our loved ones, like you Steve, help us get better. We are very grateful.

Wishing Stephanie an uneventful and quick recovery,

Hugs,

Kin
  • We are ALL thinking about you and wishing you well.I know it's hard right now and words might not help,but my prayers are with you right this minute.And you too Steve.Bless you Both.

• Aww tell my Stephanie pumpkin bear that I am thinking about her. >:D<

Im so sorry she is still having some issues with pain control.

Hopefully they can give her valium for the spasms. O:)
    Tell her in a few more days it does get better.
    She seems like she was in the shape I was with my first lumbar fusion.
    Hopefully when the get her up to walk she will start to feel better!!! Alot of times that does the trick.

Tell her as she already knows that I go in the hospital tomorrow at 6am for my aortic bi fem surgery. I should be home by Thursday with fingers crossed.

Send her my love and lots of hugs
    Terri >:D< >:D< :* :* :* :*
  • Walking is definitely the biggest helper. I had problems with pain control, too. They never really found anything to control it, but I had to get up and walk the morning after surgery and I thought I couldn't, but I did, and it felt SOOOO much better. The more you can get her to walk, the better. Try an iPod, clip it onto her johnny and send her around the ward. Lol.
  • Hi all,

Still Steve here.

Pain stuff still isn't right, and we're waiting on the doc to make a visit. The drip is now Demerol vs. Dilaudid, but it's not the greatest thing. Hopefully whatever the change is will do the trick...although I do notice a not-so-subtle suggestion from the group to keep her walking as much as possible. Noted.

Which segues into the next statement - She did her first walking today! <:P

She's eating a bite or two now, so that's positive...

It really seems to cheer her up to hear the words you are posting on to this thread.

TerryJV -she's thinking about you and wishes you the best on tomorrow's surgery!

Steve
  • Thanks for the updates..Hopefully they will find the right mix of meds to help with the pain real soon! I had cervical surgery ( so I can't help with how walking helps with lumbar) but it did help me alot to get up and move around..
    Keep us posted!
  • Even if only a little :)

..And up walking =D>

Oh boy~Every day gets a little better.I'm sure time has slowed down in that regard..but with Thanksgiving coming-time will pick up tomorrow(Monday)is my guess.

♥ Thinking of You ♥
  • Hi All,

Still Steve...

Sadly, missed most of the day today... first day at the new job, so couldn't be here for the day itself.

Tonight, we've gone on one walk already (longer than the previous ones), a new burning pain in the right hip - docs are giving her Lyrica and Valium.

After 5 days of holding her own, she's has finally had a visit from the poop fairy... not the loveliest of topics, but it helped with her stomach pains and sense of bloat.

Eating a bit more, and in better spirits.

The phyical therapy people don't think she should leave tomorrow as had been the initial target - they like her walking, but want to have her get used to stairs... which they judged her in too much pain today to try. Tomorrow, we hope! Possibly Turkey Day.

I'm very proud - when she's walking, she's doing it with better posture (straighter back), much more smoothly, faster, and with a sense of confidence... all steps in the right direction, and amazing if you'd seen her on Day 1.

That's it for now...
  • Glad to hear things are moving along. I wrote to hear once because her and I are having the same operation. Please keep up the updates and I hope the the pain gets better soon!
  • how she is doing! I am sorry that she is in so much pain :( . That is great that she is up and walking. Tell her that we are all thinking of her!!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Please tell her that we miss her and look forward to hearing from her when she is ready. We do so appreciate you keeping us up to date. Give her lots of gentle hugs from us, ok? >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hopefully Stephanie will be home soon and on the way to recovery.. I don't know why they need her to do stairs unless I guess it is part of her PT plan. There would have been no way that I could have walked up and down stairs post-op....jade
  • How wonderful it is to be in love!!! I felt that way about my late husband and I miss him so much. We were married for 34 wonderful years, so I can relate to how you feel about Steve. Sorry you are having so many issues with the meds, but stand fast...they will get in straight!

Take care of yourself. Hugs to you and Steve >:D< >:D<
  • You and I had the same surgery. I know exactly how you are feeling. Hang in there, love, it will get better.
  • That sucks they're trying to gip you on pain meds. Right now is the time you need it.

I'm surprised they are keeping you in until Thanksgiving. That sucks. If you are eating food and have had a bowel movement, they should give you the Diladudid in pill form and let you go home. Pushing the lower pain meds isn't going to help. The brace and walking will def help you a lot. Maybe you could request to get Dilaudid pill for, with some Valium, and go home tomorrow? Would be nice to get home before Thanksgiving. I was sent home with Dilaudid pill form and Valium, but I didn't request, it... They just sent me home with a bunch of them. Dilaudid 2 pills every 4 hours, and Valium 3x a day. Helped a bunch. I can honestly say I felt SO much better once I got home. I walked out of the hospital on my own, didn't have a wheelchair, walked all through the parking lot to the car myself, didn't want my boyfriend to pull up to the door, etc... Just knowing I was going home made me feel better for some reason. Lol. The car ride wasn't bad at all... I was so scared but it was nothing. And the stairs... Meh. They weren't fun but they weren't a problem. I had to go up and down them twice a day, but was given the okay by my doctor.. I live on the second and third floors of a house, so I had to go down and back up every morning and then again every afternoon for my son's bus.

I hope they give you whatever meds you need to control your pain!!! And I hope you can salvage some kind of Thanksgiving... Although being home and having surgery over with is a great way to celebrate a day of being thankful.

I also had nurses who were like yours... I always requested to talk to the P.A. The P.A. is the one who finally told them to stop pushing what they were pushing and to give me what I said worked the best.... Dilaudid via IV and Valium via IV.

Just know we're all thinking about ya and are here for ya when you get back! Take a deep breathe and then a sigh of relief. The biggest part is over with. surgery is done and it's only up from here! I will keep you in my prayers :) You're a really strong one, so I know you'll be doing well in no time! :)

HUGSSSSSSSS *xoxo*
  • I am glad that you are feeling a bit better. I know that my husband had a time with pain meds in the hospital. He was very stubborn though!!!!!! Hang in there, and you will feel so much better when you are at home. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< .
  • Are you a candidate for MicroD, or is that what you're waiting to find out? They generally work very well for nerve pain.
  • So wonderful that you have a supportive partner as well, I bet this is one Thanksgiving you will not soon forget :)))
    -Melissa
advertisement