Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg weakness & Heaviness??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi There,

I wonder if any of you may be able to shed light on a new and rather troubling symptom of mine.

I am post op about 8 weeks from Revision PLIF and removal of an interbody cage which had badly inflammed my spinal nerves. I am now having an awful weakness in both legs and heaviness and pain in both soles of feet.
This is a new pattern for me.

The nerve irriation for the slipped cage was left leg and all my pre-fusion pain was right leg and soles of feet.

It is quite alarming to have the feet pain come back and the weakness makes me stumble.
Anyhow, I will deal with whatever, as you do, but my imagination is running wild as to the cause. I can't understand it has anything to do with the healing nerves??

Any advice greatly appreciated. Ta.
advertisement

Comments

• I am sorry about your leg problems. If it worries you, call your surgeon's office. It may be related to your healing nerves, but it is always best to get reassurance from the doctor.

Hope you will get better soon.

Kin
  • Yeah, I think you need to get in touch with your doc. Like it was said above, it could be healing nerves, but it's worth a call to the dr.
  • for your replies. I sa my PT today.
    No comments but she is doing gentle massgae, ultrasound and trigger release. Some of my muscles are so hard in spasm. I thought they'd have stopped all this by now??

I have a feeling lie I have fallen in stingers, all down my back, hip and dragging in my groin.
    Do you think this is ALL nerves waking up again?

I am timid and do not like bothering my surgeon. I feel bout the size of an ant!!
    I didn't even go back when I was in agony b4, when my guts told me something was wrong. I know its dumb..I need to feel confident before I head to the office so pls help me out here!
    ;)
  • sorry to here that . every time i read a case like yours makes me wonder if i should go ahead and have my op. its makes me wander do they bodge it. eny way hope you get better
  • Pain or tingling I wouldn't worry about... But weakness is something that should ALWAYS be checked out. Please... Call and run it by your surgeon, and they should do an MRI just to be safe. Weakness is not a good thing, and if it's NEW, that's REALLY not a good thing. Soon as my surgeon found out about my weakness I was sent for an MRI that night and put on some serious steroids.

Might be nothing, but better safe than sorry.
  • Come on now, gather up your courage and face the lion (doc) in his lair! You can do it and must do it! YOU have to be an advocate for YOU! Put the timid stuff on the back burner and do what you have to do to feel better. A couple of weeks ago, I also had weakness in one leg. I called and spoke with the surgeon's PA (who is wonderful and always available) who told me that it was probably nothing to worry about, but to call if it got any worse, which it didn't. But...you SHOULD call and let your doc know about this, ok? You can do it! :O) :^o
  • I put in the wrong smileys...it should have been <:P <:P
  • Joy is right! You MUST be your own advocate. First of all, YOU are paying the doctor - it is his job to listen to you and to do whatever he can to help you. Second - If you can't genuinely summon enough courage to face him, then ACT! Just pretend you are a character in a movie and go forth. Or that you are doing this for someone you love. Whatever it takes to put on your brave face!

And please let us know what your doc says!
  • and haven't even had surgery yet :T :T :T . It is your best idea to call your doctor and let them know. They are all right, YOU are your best advocate!!!!! >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I agree with Joy, If you are feeling weakness then it is time to let the surgeon know.
    Yes you are paying him for his time.

Oh It just occured to me that maybe the weakness in your legs could be about standing up for yourself??????
    Something to think about.

Hope it improves soon
    Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement