Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cymbalta or Lyrica for pain?

maddysmommmaddysmom Posts: 138
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Pain Medications
Has anyone tried both Lyrica and Cymbalta and have a preference for either one? I’m presently on Gabapentin. It helps with anxiety and sleep, but not so much for pain. My PM doc suggested trying Cymbalta or Lyrica. I don’t have nerve pain, just a lot of stiffness and muscle pain plus arthritis. I just lost 50 pounds and I’ve heard Lyrica can cause bloating and weight gain whereas Cymbalta can actually suppress your appetite. Thanks for any opinions offered.
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! well, for one thing neither one of those medications is usually prescribed for inflamation. :? they are both medications usually prescribed for nerve pain. :O i would suggest you really talk to your doctor and see what he had in mind? your pharmacist can give you some accurate information as well. i have tried both of them and find the Lyrica is working great on my nerve pain. i have arthritis in the same area and the Lyrica has not helped with that pain. i did gain almost 30 pounds from the Lyrica. :''( i am trying to take it off right now. as with any medication, each person is affected differently. be sure and check with your doctor and get your questions answered. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Hi, I tried both, first Lyrica which I had some bad side effects such as dry mouth, nightmares, I didn't feel any relief. I have been on Cymbalta for over a month now and had some minor pain relief, better mood. Please note I am taking double the usual maximum dose 60 mg day, 60 mg bed. I have gained weight, but that's because due to my excessive bleeding and low blood pressure for 2+ weeks it cause early menopause and I am now on hormone therapy medication. Hope things work out for you.

SDROXX :H
  • I used both Gabapentin and Cymbalta for almost two years. I have to say I felt a lot better on it. I used it mostly for leg pain (crushed my left leg and ankle) and it really helped the leg pain. It did nothing for my back pain however, although I did sleep better while on it. My understanding is that it does work best on leg pain for some odd reason. Diabetics are given it for foot pain. Can't say much about Lyrica. I tried it but it seemed to have no effect at all on me. I have since stopped everything and had surgery on my neck and back to help the pain there. The leg is a whole other story. So, everyone is different and maybe it would be worth it to try both for a period of time. I think they say it usually takes at least 30 days for your body to adjust to a new drug.

Good luck! Hopefully the pain will diminish for you.
  • I noticed when I first joined here that some people were on both so I talked to my ortho because that was one thing I didn't try. I was on Cymbalta over 1 year ago but had to switch due to high co pay but I was taking it for depression and it really seemed to help. The ortho told me that Lyrica and Cymbalta are for the same thing, to treat nerve pain and that you can't take both, it's one or the other. I didn't even realize they used cymbalta for pain so I started thinking back to when I stopped and that was about the time my back pain become unmanageable and I started gaining weight because I was experimenting with different anti-depressants. I know have new insurance and copay for cymbalta is only $6/month so I asked my primary to switch me back after explaining these things to him. I just started back on them last week and am still weaning off effexor so it's too soon to see if this is going to help with the pain. I am still in severe pain and hope after a couple of weeks and when I am finally off effexor and on higher does (60mg) of cymbalta, I will start to feeling better.
  • I thought Lyrica was supposed to help with widespread pain, but is it only for nerve pain because I thought it also helped with stiffness and muscle pain. I don't have Fibromyalgia, but my friend does and she's on Cymbalta. She didn't want to try Lyrica because of possible liver problems. Guess I'll just write down all my questions and ask the doc tomorrow when I see him. I know one thing......it took me a year to lose 50 pounds and I sure don't want to gain any of it back!
  • The studies shown to relieve CP with the usage of Cymbalta by CPP were flawed according to the FDA. Elli Lilly is having to re-submit their application in relation to it's benefits provided to those with chronic pain. You may want to read up on the latest findings according to YOUR specific pain.
  • hurtzallot said:
    The studies shown to relieve CP with the usage of Cymbalta by CPP were flawed according to the FDA. Elli Lilly is having to re-submit their application in relation to it's benefits provided to those with chronic pain. You may want to read up on the latest findings according to YOUR specific pain.
    After some discussion with the doc, we decided to try Lyrica. Right now the dosage is 75mg. x 2/day. My husband takes Cymbalta for his bi-polar condition, so I didn't think that would be the right med for me.
  • :) hi! please don't be swayed by the side effects. :? starting on a small dosage and working your way up is the best and easiest way on your sysem. things like blurred vision and sleepiness will go away after each increase, just be patient! i hope it works well for you!! Jenny :)
  • lulusheart said:
    :) hi! please don't be swayed by the side effects. :? starting on a small dosage and working your way up is the best and easiest way on your sysem. things like blurred vision and sleepiness will go away after each increase, just be patient! i hope it works well for you!! Jenny :)
    Yes, I will definitely be patient. I've wanted to try it for awhile now, so I will give it at least a month to see if it makes a difference. Thank You. :)
advertisement