Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I signed up to this site to hopefully learn a thing or two about what is going on with my lower back and possibly pick up a few coping skills.
I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease @ L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 with a cyst @ L4. In Apr.08 is when I started down the path of diagnosis and I still do not see the end. I have had more tests and taken more presciption meds this year than I ever have. I have seen 4 different doctors who all agree that the hybrid ADR @ 2 levels + Fusion @ 1 level is the way to go for someone my age (36) and prior activity level. Unfortunatly my wonderful insurance company Unicare does not want that for me. They would like to see me get a 3 lvl. fusion. 3 of the 4 doctors will not even perform that on me because the DDD will spread to the adjacent lvls. within a couple of years and I am too young to start down that path. I am currently on my second appeal to Unicare and have hired an attorney to possibly pursue a bad faith claim. In the mean time while all the red tape gets untangled I wait in agony or so doped up that I hardly remember my name.
Fortunatly I have an awesome support system, my wife and daughter help me out alot and for that I am thankful. If it was not for them god only knows what would come of me. I hope to meet a few people with the same problems as me or just chronic pain in general. I am new at this so I need a little help here. Thanks everyone.
advertisement

Comments

• if your looking to meet other people with chronic pain your in the right place...
    Hopefully your insurance problems will get taken care of soon
    And again, welcome
    Jeanette
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are suffering with chronic pain and dealing with insurance issues as well. ~X( we have a forum just for health insurance. please have a look around and make yourself at home. you will find many like minded people who feel just as you do. i hope you are able to get some of your medical issues taken care of soon. good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thank you for such a warm welcome. I find it somewhat comforting to know that there are others out there feeling the smae way I do. I have looked around a little bit reading peoples stories and it all sounds so familiar to me. Once again thank you, my wife and I are happy to have found this site. I look forward to learning more about my disease and how to combat it along with the insurance company at the same time. 8} Chris
  • Just wondering? I am from Wisconsin and have been in your shoes. I wanted to do something the insurance carrier thought was experimental and I am glad they denied it. I suffered a long time and was willing to do anything to stop the pain. I got a second and third opinion. I am so happy I was able to find the best. If not for the searching that seemed best for me I would have had a surgery that would not have been my best option. I chose the ADR at L4/L5. 360 degree fusion, they insert the ADR from the front and inserted hardwear fronm the back all in about 2 hours! I am about 4 weeks post-op and feel great!!! So happy I did it and wondered why it took so long for the process but I am thankful for having the right surgeon, the best in my opinion. Try to stay positive and keep as active as you can, it helps recover. I am so sorry for your pain, most of us here know what it is like and others just don't get it even though they try. Best Wishes to you and your family.
  • I am sceduled to see two other doctors that are supposed to be the cats meow on ADR surgeries. This whole thing is so messy right now I could scream. It is a really confusing time for me. Thankfully Naomi(My wife)is staying on top of all the calls that need to be made, doctors appointments I need to go to, prescriptions, etc. , etc. What doctor did you use Pika?

Chris
  • You may want to look at the Insurance topic on this forum and check out the archived threads. I know that somebody else here had this same exact issue with Guardian or Unicare but they did get it resolved. You will find lots of info and support here and please keep us posted.
advertisement