Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flareups....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
itsalong walk mentioned her flare ups can come on for no reason, instantaneously and last around 10 days.
I started thinking and thought this might make a helpful thread for us:
1)what have you found brings on your flare ups

2)how long do your flare ups usually last and where do you experience the bulk of it?

3)what have you found to help relieve the flare ups

4)what activity do you maintain during your flare?

I have found extended sitting gets me flared up and also doing too many new exercises at once I too have about 10 days worth of symptoms when it happens. Anybody know if the time line gets smaller the further you go in your recovery?
My flare ups are a tight burning in my butt, low and mid back. It's miserable and even the shower water is uncomfortable.
leaving it alone, resting and after 48 hours applying moist heat along with rotating Vicodin& Valium with Motrin. I continue my walking but cut back a hair, I continue my stretching but stop anything new I've tried in the past week prior to the flare.
advertisement

Comments

• What a great topic you've begun:

I too have been sitting here trying to think of what caused my most recent flare up. It's been since I went to PM dr and he was bending and twisting me. I felt pain in places I didn't feel pain before. Today seems to be getting a little better but I am dreading tomorrow. I have been asked to go on my son's 1st grade field trip to the discovery center.

I've been trying ice and heat, resting as much as possible, as little lifting as possible, vicoprofen and I just started trying to alternate that with tylenol arthritis.

I am interested to hear how others get through their flare ups.
  • oh my, I know the feeling of having a committment and dreading it cuz I'm in a flare-having to cancel last minute-UGH!
    I will say a prayer you are able to participate in the field trip without difficulty.
  • I will just have to suck it up for the sake of my son's happiness. :))) I would go home and rest afterward, however, my daughter's grandmother (her dad's mom) passed away and we have the funeral tomorrow night so I will just rest on Wednesday #:S ...oh wait :O ....I already promised dad I would take him xmas shopping for mom. He's in a wheel chair so guess who gets to load that in and out of the truck?? You guessed it, his lovely baby girl who he knows is suffering in pain but still asks me to do things because I can still walk and he can't. :T ~X( Ok, I will just rest on thurs after my si injections. Hopefully this will make me feel pain free and I won't need to rest. :D

I can't wait until Christmas is over! <:P
  • Woa Ming, you have to think of yourself right now and spend the year healing so that you can be in tip top shape in the long run for your children and grandchildren. Is there a community bus or form of transportation that could take your dad & you to the store so that they lock his wheelchair in place and get the wheel chair up & down with a lift? We have that service here. Heck, even pushing a wheelchair would hurt. Can you convey that he needs to shop on the web with you for this year only until you are healed? Please take care of yourself.
  • There's no community buses out here in the boonies that I know of but thanks for the advice. At 2 weeks post op, my dad took me to my appt because I couldn't get anyone else to take me but that meant I had to lift the wheel chair in and out. I tried to get him to go in with me because I would like him to get a second opinion on his back. He refuses because NS laughed at him supposedly and now he won't seek additional treatment from anyone and has accepted not being able to walk. I've encouraged him to join this site but he hasn't. Anyway, I probably shouldn't go on just in case he does check it out. I do tell him how hard it is for me to lift his wheel chair and that it hurts. Oh 2 days after my 2wk post op, I had to take him to walk in then straight to er because they found spot on his lung. I sat with him all day until 12 at night and found out he had pnemonia (doesn't help he's not active and smokes more than a chimney in the dead of winter). Anyway, I was hurting to say the least and no one seemed to be concerned. I realize my dad was not well so I did what I thought I had to. I should mention the online thing to him. Ididn't think of that.

Gotta go eat. Hubby made dinner <:P
  • Ming said:
    He's in a wheel chair so guess who gets to load that in and out of the truck?? <:P </blockquote>

Can you go someplace that has wheelchairs available? I am thinking about the large chain store W@@@@@@T, specifically. The malls usually have chairs somewhere also, but I think they need to be rented and they arent usually easily accessible. My brother who lives with us is in a wheelchair, however he can use the walker for about 20 feet so that helps. I told him once I had surgery he would need to use the wheelchair or motor carts at the store instead of his. Works out better for me!

Good Luck,
    Shell
  • Yeah, I thought of that too. My dad is very stubborn and will only use his wheelchair. Thanks for the advice. I am hoping my husband isn't working on Wed so he can go and do the lifting and lugging. He's a carpentar and the weather has gotten yukky so he hasn't been working as much.
  • I can definitely see why you are still having pain issues! At some point, you will have to stand up for yourself and tell your dad that you cannot do some of the things he is asking you to do. If you don't take care of yourself, no one will! It's hard to set boundaries with family members, but you have to. If you don't, you will probably have more back issues down the road. Just give him the choices YOU can life with: either he uses the wheelchairs at the stores, or he stays home!! Yes, he will probably get angry, but he WILL get over it. When we give in to people over and over again, regardless of our own health, they just come to expect it. Be brave and lovingly tell him how it's going to be from now on because YOU don't want to be in that wheelchair a few years from now.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,724
    is something that I have been dealing with for over 30 years now. This thread is very timely, because right now I am in the middle of a pretty solid flareup.

1)what have you found brings on your flare ups

Most of the time, flareups start as a result of doing some physical activity that I should not be doing. Things such as too much yard work, lifting things that are too heavy or doing it the wrong way. But then ever once in a while, I have what I call the Rogue Flareup... Cant figure out why, didnt do anything, etc

2)how long do your flare ups usually last and where do you experience the bulk of it?

The duration of my flare-ups generally depend on what caused it and to what degree the flare up is. But on an average, I would say mine generally last from 3-10 days.

3)what have you found to help relieve the flare ups

Generally, it would be a short stint with physical therapy.
    Cant really say change in medications, because I am always on Pain Meds, Muscle relaxers, Nerve pain meds. I will also do more heat/ice treatments. Then I will lay low. Especially with any computer time

4)what activity do you maintain during your flare?

Mild, Passive exercises, Constant Aqua Therapy and just being totally aware of my situation

Right now, my flareup we believe was caused by some Physical Therapy and Deep Tissue Massage work being done on
    my major and minor peck muscles. This was done to provide me some range of motion in my shoulders, which have been basically limited. So, now I have more range of motion in my shoulders, but this work, flared up my Thoracic problems as well as flared up my cervical muscles. So, it was addressing one problem, that caused another older problem to surface
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron, that was a wonderfully informative response. It's great to know that a 10 day flare up doesn't mean I am not healing!
    What does PT do for you that helps you through flare ups?
    FYI I NEVER do well with soft tissue work....don't know why the muscles don't like it but they don't. I do well with stretching and strengthening and heat but that's it. Nobody can define why.
advertisement