Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

concerned about right leg weakness-how long do I have?

ouchoouch Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a severely herniated C4-5 disc with cord compression and probable myelopathy. My right leg is getting progressively weaker, and it is making me nervous. Does anyone know if this is permanent? If not, could it become permanent? How long do I have ...any magic numbers? My insurance company just denied 1 of surgeon's request for an artificial disc replacement (the other request is pending). The insurance company approved a fusion even though my other levels are degenerative, bulging, or herniated (or all of the above). My arms are getting more painful and or tight as tennis balls too. I wonder if I should take the time to fight for an ADR or if I should just say "heck with it," and just do the fusion even though the possibility of adjacent segment disease is high? (NONE of my 3 surgeons recommended fusion). Tick tock tick tock....would appreciate advice
advertisement

Comments

• Or get yourself a medical lawyer. You should be able to get the operations your surgeons say you need. Go to the ER if the pain get worse instead of your PCP. That seemed to help me get faster results with my issue. You pay for insurance-now they need to cough up the money! Call the insurance so and ask for an insurance omnibusan or advocate for you. Call your state board of health and see what services are available to you.

As for how long? Sorry-I have no idea-probably no one can be sure-all I know is the longer the nerve is compressed, the longer it takes to heal. Some damage is permanent, especially if it involves the spinal cord. I'm not a doctor so I may be giving you incorrect advice here, but cervical nerves don't reach the legs, so that seems odd to me. I would have that check further.

Good luck and hope you get resolution soon!
  • Just went to the NS yesterday for an EMG study, I thought was for my carpal tunnel syndrome so I could have surgery for that. Oh no, to my surprise, it was b/c I have a large herniation of C5-C6. Freakin' ridiculous! I wasn't prepared for that news. So of course I'm looking around on the internet for advice and information and these blogs. The NS said a discectomy is the only treatment, not only b/c of the herniation, but b/c my vertebrae is rotated to the right and occluding half my spinal cord. So, with you writing about the insurance companies... I'm ready for them to try and screw me too. I say, GOOD LUCK!!!

*C5-C6: large herniation, moderately narrowed, disiccated; extends from left parasagittal region into the left C6 neural foramen.
    *Measures 4.4mm from margin
    *Measures 11mm in craniocaudal dimension
    *Definite impingement on the exiting nerve root at left and right