Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ddd

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
im a 42 female, last week found out i had ddd, doc wants to do surgery for a torn disc, i am scheduled in jan to have a discogram, i think i have decided not to do the surgery, i don't hurt all the time, only when i am really physical, which i am going to find a new line of work, im a courier, so those days are over, not sure what to do, need suggestions. thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Maybe you could get 2nd and 3rd opinions from different Drs. I'm going for a second opinion January. The first Ortho said no it's too early and sent me to a Pain Management Dr. I now have a second opinion pain management Dr. I agree surgery is a difficult decision. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I forgot to mention I've been off work on disability because I can't walk, sit or stand. I'm on conservative treatment now and the herniated disc may heal on it's own. I'm lucky to have the benefits to stave off surgery. Of course what I have may not be the same as yours. I'm just sharing my experience. And is no way medical advice. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :) hi! :H and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you tried any conservative treatments as of yet? perhaps with a change in career and less activity you could avoid surgery for awhile. :? of course your doctor knows best about this. a second opinion is always a good idea. =D> the more information you have the better. good luck with your future pain treatments. Jenny :)
  • I had a radical microdiscectomy last year for an annular tare. I agree with you though if there is any way to avoid surgery it should be left for a last resort. Good luck and please keep us posted.

• What conservative treatments are there besides PT and the injections? I've only had my severely herniated disc with ddd in my L4-5 for 3-4 months and it just keeps getting worse. I can still walk, with pain, but it seems to loosen up a bit after I walk for awhile. After my 4th injection, my surgeon is suggesting a lami PLIF with pedicle screws on my L4-5, some of my lingo might be off but hopefully you get it. I first started with a neuro/pain doc that said there's a lot we could do before I would need to getsurgery
    After reading alot of the posts it seems that once a few of the non-invasive treatments dont work than my only alternative is surgery. Now I've gone to the ortho. that I'm with now and he had me do 3 injections and then see him again. He is now suggesting the surgery. Now, I know this is the business he's in, but I also don't see the point in doing all of the non-invasive treatments if I will continuously have to go back when it herniates again, as its severely herniated and I have DDD. Charry, if you read this can you please help me out a little? I'm not sure if my disc is torn like yours, but I do know that it is contacing the nerve and the pain is very intense, down my entire leg, in my foot, and in my groin. My worries are reaching permanent nerve damage and really messin' things up. (As if things don't already feel that way).
advertisement