Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What advice do we/should we give to our family and friends

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Matters of the Heart
NO question, if you are here at this site, you have experienced some spinal troubles. They could range from an acute muscle pull to long term chronic spinal conditions.
None of that changes who were are, it only changes what we are and what we can be.

But think for a second, many of us are parents and even if not, have siblings or friends that are very dear to us. Those are the people that you do NOT want to see go through the same ordeal that you have, not even for a minute.

Do we have the power, the knowledge and the education to teach others, to give advice to our loved ones, so they do not follow down the same dark road. We can help make their trip through life just a bit brighter. We may not be able to grant wishes and there are only a few who could provide a financial future that bares none.

Think for a second, If you had only three things you could tell you love ones, so they would hopefully not experience the same type of problems as you do. What would those three things be?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• My advice is:
    1. Work full time and make sure you have good sick benefits
    2.Find a good Family Doctor or PCP
    3.Excercise, go to the gym or walk daily and keep yourself fit and at a normal weight
    And although even if you're fit and lift something and turn the wrong way you could get a herniated disc. Also with DDD there's really not much to stop that except not running on cement it's better to walk on a treadmill to save the pounding of your feet. Learn the basics of lifting properly and turning. Sometimes you can't stop spinal issues that's why it's good to have proper benefits at your job so when/if the time comes you have good LTD benefits to live on. I'm lucky to have that. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 1)Treat your back like it's gold, don't abuse it

2)Invest in a good mattress, it'll save your back

3)Have short and long term disability, S@#t happens ~X(
  • 1.Live
    2.Laugh
    3.Love

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,733
    formula...
    Even if it wont prevent any spinal problems, it does teach us all what we should be thankful for in life
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My advice might be different had my issues not been genetic,but given that they were..that's all I know.I could not have prevented my problems so it makes these type of questions easier in my case.

Still,excercise and a good mattress may have helped prolong the agony.. ;))
  • 1. Wear shoes with good traction, especially if you live in a cold part of the world with much snow and ice.

2. Don't lift with your back-use your legs

3. Hang on to your health insurance.
  • My three things:

Know your family history
    Get hormone check at 35, don't wait til menopause
    Get baseline bone density at 35 before osteoperosis, or athritis can set in.

Bonus: Good friends, good support, docs you trust!
  • 1. Lift with legs, not with back
    2. Don't be overweight
    3. Exercise of some kind every day of your life!!!!
advertisement