Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

arm pain - suggestions for relief??

spinaltapsspinaltap Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management

hi again

I have a centrally herniated c5-c6 disc that has caused nerve damage in both arms all the way to the fingertips. I am on 7.5 mg of hydrocodone every 4 hours, alternating a heating pad and ice packs and taking a multitude of other prescriptions daily =P~ . I have stopped all PT due to excessive pain and I am waiting on a Epidural Injection to be done on 1/8/09. I need some suggestions on relieving the arm pain???? Nothing seems to help. It feels like a deep, excruciating bone pain (if that makes sense) in both arms. It is so painful. I'm trying to work a 40 hr week at a desk doing clerical duties and it is becoming difficult. I have a heating pad stuck under my shirt and plugged in to the wall at my desk, and when I get up to make copies I take the cord with me.... I guess it would be funny if it didn't hurt so bad..... Any ideas??????

advertisement

Comments

• Since you have tried so many other things try this. Soak it in a pan filled with Epsom Salt and warm tap water in the morning before work and after work. If it's your upper arm then soak a towel in it for a few minutes and then apply to the sore area. Let me know if that helps. It's the magnesium that is the healing agent. Don't give up after day one. Give it a few days to work before throwing in the towel. Pain is never funny. At least I didn't offer advice about another pill. :D
  • Hi Spinaltap,
    I completely understand, both my legs feel the same as your arms. It is like hot rods pushed down into both of my legs. I have tried all those things too, heat helps sometimes, ice does not seem to do anything. I also think a hot shower feels good. Just letting the water run all over my lower back and legs but we cannot stay in the shower forever. I don't have anymore ideas but you know you are not alone in your pain.
    Let us know how your ESI works, mine is scheduled for Jan 14 but my husband told me tonight that I have to change it, he had something important at work. Wish me luck getting an earlier date when I call tomorrow, I could have it done anytime after 12/31/08. The first ESI lasted about a month. Any relief is worth it.

Stacey
  • at this point nothing sounds crazy....I will get the Epsom Salt this weekend when I shop and I'll give it a try. Thanks.
  • I have severe tendinitis in my right arm, so I understand that feeling of deep "bone" pain...it is NO fun at all.

Have you tried anything like BioFreeze cream at all? I didn't get a whole lot of relief from it, but it might be worth a try. Also, I have a friend who swears by capsaicin cream for diabetic nerve pain....I don't know if it might work, but you'd have to be very careful applying it (i.e. use rubber gloves) and ensuring that it doesn't get near your face, especially your eyes.

If the ESI doesn't work, you might want to ask if a rhizotomy is an option for you.

I don't know how you've managed to keep working at a desk job...I have to give you a lot of credit for that!!

Take care, and I hope you find some relief soon.

Tracy
advertisement