Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Extreme Pain 3 mo. post-op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Help, 2006 failed L5-L4 fusion, non instrumented, autologus bone. 2008 MISS L5-L4 with PEEK dynamic stabilization L4-L3 and cadaver bone. Extreme pain began 2 -3 mo. post op. Characterized by pain initiated when rising from a supine or fetal position, or when exiting a hot tub or pool. CAT/MRI/X-rays show no overt abnormalities. Pain radiating over left hip maybe unrelated to this extreme central pain. Facet blocks relieved some pain, but not central pain. Help! :''( Has anyone else experienced this?

• I am in a similar boat as you unfortunately. After 2 surgeries, and the last being a fusion on L4-S1, I've been left with chronic back and nerve pain. None of the surgeries brought me relief at any time, and I have also gone through conservative treatments. I know how it feels. The pain just doesn't stop. My only recourse is having a neurostimulator or morphine pump implanted, and taking medications.
    I was told that back surgery can get you better, make you stay the same, or make you worse off. It's the gamble we take when having this type of major surgery. My life has changed and I spend my time on the sidelines watching it go by. I don't even look the same, I feel like an eighty year old.
    Well, it's good to have you here because there is a wealth of information and advice from a lot of good folks. I hope we can be of help to you. Take care
  • I am sorry your pain came back. I had return of leg pain at 5 weeks postop due to BMP induced bone growth on nerve roots. Thankfully, I got another opinion from a more experienced doctor who knew what had happened and is surgically "fixing" me.

My advice-seek more opinions from other doctors. Go for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, however many opinions until you can get help or you are satisfied with what you're told. If I hadn't, I would have had a spinal cord stimulator implanted when it wasn't warranted.