Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Perm SCS, cant charge battery? Help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Management
Hey there,
It seems if there a problem to be had with the SCS, I have had it. ~X(
I am 6 mo post op, last month they did a revision on the battery pack because it stuck way out, so they went in and kind of tucked it in. Well, I guess becarefull what you wish for is appropriate in my case. Now it is tucked in TOO DEEP! I am not able to recharge the battery at all! I try and get 0 bars on the charger and a few days ago my battery ran out! I have called the Dr and Medtronic rep, and have to meet with them, but now wondering, is this something that has happen to anyone else? I hate to think they will have to go back in and revise it again, but I can not imagine what else they can do.
I would love to hear from those who have had a similar experience.
Take care! :H

• I thought at one point that I was having a problem charging, and initially I found I could get a good signal if I stood up. Then I realized I need to make sure that I am not sitting in a manner that tilts the generator in the pocket. I found that sitting in the recliner with gym shorts or some thin material, would allow a good connection.

Did you try rotating the antenna? I know that was probably the first thing you tried, but I gotta ask.

• Hi, I pretty much tried everything. I even had a friend try to press it to my back where the scar was. Last night I laid down on the hard wood floor so it would be completely flat to me, that didnt work either. It is almost comical watching me! =)) I tried the antena too, the Medtronic rep even asked me if I had it plugged in. It is pretty bizzare! Hopefully the Dr and Rep will have some miracle for me.
    Take care!
  • Are you trying right over the scar or right below it? Mine sits neatly below the scar. If I placed my charger over the scar I'd never get a signal.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you have success with the help of the doc and rep.

Keep us posted.

• I'm putting this out there for the good of SCSers around the world.... :))(

Have you tried sitting on the toilet?

• Hi - am new here & joined as this seems to be similar to me

I am also having trouble charging my SCS. Mine stands pround & it seems as if I have the recharger over the right place as it stops beeping, but even if I sit for 2 hours it will not get to fully charged. I have tried to do this two days in a row & still it will not get fully charged. Anyone else get this problem? It is only 6 weeks since it was fitted & it is still sore so after 2 hours charging, it gets really sore!!! Any advice?
    Jenni - hope you get your problems sorted.
  • What model of SCS do you have? Some have different charging systems and shapes to the generators.

When you are charging, are you sitting, lying down...? Where is your generator placed? Is it abdominal or above your behind ? Did you just now start having a problem or has it been this way all along?

Welcome to Spine Health!

• Hi C

I have a Bionics precision placed in my flank, just above my belt line. I have tried sitting & lying but to no avail. I am able to get it to charge to a certain level but not to full charge & it hasn't fully charged since it was fitted. It bleeps to tell me it is over the unit so it should be able to charge - but even though I have spent hours trying it won't fully charge. The other problem is as it has not been in place long, the recharging makes it more sore - not unbearable, but sore. I am happy with it otherwise, it is doing it's thing!!! Phew.

I will be interested to hear yours & others experiences.
  • I have a Medtronics and it is positioned just below my belt line on my right back side. This is a full scale image of the exact generator I have.

Have you contacted your rep about the problem with charging? I would think that if you are getting good enough contact to do a 50% charge, then if everything is working properly you should be able to get a full charge.

For a few months after getting mine implanted, the generator pocket would become irritated with rubbing of clothing or wearing the wrong type of clothing. A little anti-inflam medicine and it would take care of the pain. Now it has settled in good and that doesn't happen.

Don't wait too long before you contact your rep.

• i too have irritation and pain when recharging even now,it's been 7 months.I went thru a revision surg,1 mth after original to reposition the leads.When I charge my unit sometimes i place a tissue over my skin,between charger and implant battery.It helps but I still get really hot.Good luck to you.Make your rep meet you at doc's office!
  • Have you tried charging through some light clothing? I find wearing a pair of running shorts or scrubs will afford me comfort and still allow me to get a perfect signal between the battery and charger.

• Thanks C

The precision looks similar in size to yours. I am waiting to see the rep but in the meantime I will manage on a partial charge - must either be a problem with the charger or the actual unit (hope not as I don't fancy anything else being done - the whole point was to reduce continued interventions!!!). Will try wearing a top when I charge next time - seems to be a good tip.

Thanks for all the advice, it seems as if there is a lot of experience & advice to be had on here. I look forward to sharing info here.
  • Let us know what the rep has to say.

If we all stick together, we can manage things a heck of a lot easier. Let me know if you have success wearing a light top. The different materials I have found make a big difference. So if it doesn't work with one top, try something a bit different.

• Bionic woman,
    Ok so, I am thinking you meant the toliet as a joke, but, since I was desperate, I tried it! Would you believe it gave me 2 bars :O) !!!! I saw the dr and medtronic rep today, they didnt seem to think I would be able to sit on the toliet long enough to charge it, (17 hrs with just 2 bars is their estimate) so, once again, I am set up for surgery to move it!! They gave me that option or to remove the entire scs. I am not ready to give up yet, so I will be having my next revision surgery next Tues! If it sticks out too far again after that, I will have to just live with it.
    Thanks for all your ideas!!!!
    Take care :H
  • Best of luck with the revision. Are they going to use the same pocket or try a different location?

• Nope, I was serious! /:)

The first couple of times I charged, I couldn't get more than 4 bars. It wasn't a huge problem, it just irritated the overachiever in me. I discovered by accident that I could get 8 bars by sitting on the toilet. 8}