Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello group, what a great resource to find. I'm here on behalf of my 61 year old father, who has lived through hell and back.

At 24 years old, he was hit by a drunk driver. Two years later, the same thing happened, but was worse. (Talk about bad luck!)

Long story short, he's had a grand total of 12 back surgeries and is fused from L1 to S1. His pain management is no longer working, however consists of the following:

1. Pain meds:

Oxy, fentanyl patches (250 micrograms every 48 hours), 6000 mg gabapentin throughout the day, celebrex, and others that I know I'm neglecting to mention.

2. Injections:

Radiofrequency, facet joint, cortisone, epidural blocks

3. He has a spinal cord stimulator

Hmmm.. that's all I can think of currently. He's topped on narcotics, he is the highest dose patient that his pain MD currently has. He gets injections frequently but they only last a matter of days. The stimulator helps with his leg pain, but not back pain. He's losing some control of bladder function, but mainly, his pain in unbearable.

Anyone out there have a case this extreme? I'm not sure if there are any other options. He's very reluctant to go back under the knife again, however knows the stenosis is reaching a critical point.

He now takes Provigil so he can stay awake because his gabapentin dose would tranquilize a horse.

I believe clinical depression is starting to work it's way into his life, and I need to reach out to people to see if anyone has alternative pain therapy experience or ideas.

Thanks everyone! And hang in there, chronic pain WILL be beat eventually.

• Why is your father on that high of a dose of gabapentin?,it says the maxium dose should be 3000 mg
  • You are such a caring son. I am so sorry to hear about your father. That is so sad and makes me angry to think that a drunk driver would ruin a person's life like this X( and in his case it happened twice. I do know that losing bladder control is a serious problem.

My father is 54 and has had back problems since he was late teens, early twenties. He's in a wheel chair now and can't walk at all. He has problems with L4-S1 (I think), peripheral neuropathy, degenerated disc disease and that's about all I can think of. I do know that he's tried several types of injections and had an epideral injection done over a year ago and this took care of his sciatic pain which was his biggest complaint. He have never taken narcotic pain meds and refuses them. He says his pain med is beer lol. My dad refuses surgery and won't go for another opinion. I am so frustrated with him because he is too young to be this way and is so stubborn. I feel he can get better if he is willing to seek out other docs. The last doc laughed at him because his condition was so bad. I wasn't there but that's what he said and now he won't go to another doc. My father also deals with depression.

I am so glad that you joined and are such a caring son. Your father must be so proud of you.

I wish I could offer you more help or advice. I can offer you support as I am going through similar situation with my father. I joined here because I also have back problems but I feel my family doesn't take me as serious because I can at least walk and my dad can't.
  • I must agree with Ming. You are truly a good and caring son to be trying to help your father. Have you tried to talk to him about possible meds for his depression? Depression is quite common with chronic pain and is easier to treat in the initial stages than when it becomes severe. There are actually meds out there that not only help with depression, but also with pain. One of those meds is Cymbalta. I would strongly encourage you to help your father to get help with his depression. I wish that I knew of something more for the pain. Good luck to you and your father and please keep us posted.
  • What a wonderful son you are!!! My father also suffers from chronic back pain and is getting worse and worse by the week. He also refuses additional surgeries. Unlike your father though, he also refuses to see the doc at all and does not even have proper pain management. I wish there was something I could do about his stubbornness!!!!

Anyway, I welcome you to SH! I hope that you find the answers that you seek here and that perhaps your father is willing to give us a shot himself.

One Love,

• im on 3000 mg and doc thinks i may have to go up to 3800mg.