Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Am I Really Done With PT At 7 Weeks Post-Op 360 Fusion and ADR?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went to PT today and when I was done the therapist said it was nice to meet you and good luck with recovery. I couldn't believe it. Am I really done? Is their more later? My 12 week follow-up with the surgeon is next month. I feel great but this doesn't seem to match what others are saying about PT. I have done well and have had no problems or back pain since I woke from surgery. Pinch Me! Is this Real?

• Pika, that is bizarre! One PT session is nothing! A proper PT rehab program for a spine surgery patient would normally involve many weeks/months.

I ended up going to PT once a week for a year - OK I did have some complications.

I am convinced that a formal thorough PT rehab program with a Physical Therapist experienced in spine surgery patients is critical to a successful recovery.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• That doesn't sound normal. I am just starting PT now at 3.5 months post op, and I have to go 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks.
  • I have been going for a month but not every week. I hope now that I heard from Bruce and Lo that it will resume after my 3 month check-up. I will let you guys know what's up. Thanks for the info.
  • Hi Pika, that seems odd. Your PT program is based on your doctors order. For instance mine was for 3 visits a week for 6 weeks. Usually when near the end, if the PT feels you need more, they request a new order from your doctor. Do you feel you need more? If so then call up your doctor and request a new order. Keep doing your exercises on your own of course. We Spineys need an ongoing program for core strength. Some docs don't even order PT. Mine only ordered it upon my request. He just wanted me walking. I am glad I went though. Keep us posted :) Cali-Sue
  • You were doing so well so fast mabye they felt that you did not need it anymore. For my first surgery I was feeling pretty good at my 4wk ckup and that at 4 months he said call if anything changes.
    Now for this surgery we are not looking to start PT till around the 6 month mark. For how long I am unsure about.
    Your story is very unique in itself with recovery etc. ;)
    Alot of it has to do with physical strength and how well they think you have built back up your core muscles.
    Just be very careful when going back to work since you have a demanding physical job..

If your concerned about this contact your Dr and see what they have to say...

Keep up the good work =D>
  • It's not that bizarre. Depending on the exercises that you are doing, the physical therapist should have set up a program for you to continue at home on your own. I started PT 3 1/2 to 4 weeks post op..they taught me everything I needed (well, wait a minute, I did do PT for 4 years prior to surgery so I knew what I was doing)..anyway, my point is that once they teach you how to exercise and help yourself, you should be doing these things on a regular basis for the rest of your life to keep your body healthy. So, hopefully, your therapist gave you the tools to continue on your own.

As some of you may know from posts, my brother is my physical therapist.
  • My P Therapist is in the same building as my surgeons office. It's an integrated approach style practice with everything including x-rays and MRI/CT in the same place. It's nice for the patients so everything can happen at one appointment when needed. The therapists and doctors can confer with each other if a question comes up so I feel confident that I am doing what's best. I feel physically ready to return to work so I figure I must be done with guided therapy. I have been doing core strengthening exercises for a month now and added a few exercises at my last visit.
    My 3 month check up is next month so I will see then if I really am done. Thanks again everybody, I do appreciate the input.