Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with Food

J.J.GreyJJ.J.Grey Posts: 2,961
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Water Cooler
This is the only place that I thought this might be appropriate to post this info. A few months ago a member on another forum told me about a place that is in every city in the country that you can buy good quality food very cheap. Very few people are aware of this place so I am trying to help those of you that could use a break on your groceries as many times those of us that suffer chronic pain fall on financial hard times. There is absolutely no qualifying for this the only thing that you must do is order and pay in advance. You get enough food to feed a family of four for 1 week for $30.00! The quality of the food is outstanding as it is packaged by a company that supplies restaurants, I had my reservations but you could not buy this quality of food in the store yourself. They also offer perfectly portioned pre-cooked meals that are perfect for seniors or those facing surgery, etc. Please check them out at the following website- I think that this Monday is the deadline for ordering for the month of January. They have pick up sites in every town and I feel sure that there is one near you. I will post the menu for this month also. It changes monthly. Hope this may help a few.

• J A N U A R Y 2 0 0 9
    M E N U

Balanced nutrition and variety with enough food to feed a family of four for a week.

1.5 lb. Ribeye Steak (4 x 6 oz.)

4 lb. Leg Quarters

1.5 lb. Beef Patties (4 x 6 oz.)

18 oz. Cheese Filled Manicotti

2 lb. Pork Rib Strips

1 lb. Chicken Breast Fajita Strips

1 lb. Ground Turkey

1 lb. Broccoli

1 lb. Peas

6 ct. Oatmeal Variety Box

2 each-Regular, Maple Brown Sugar and Apple Cinnamon

32 oz. 2% Shelf Stable Milk

8 oz. Blueberry Muffin Mix

12 ct. White Corn Tortillas

1 lb. Pinto Beans

7 oz. Chicken Flavored Rice & Vermicelli

One Dozen Eggs

Dessert Item

For Seniors or People on the Go!

Ten perfectly seasoned, nutritionally balanced, fully cooked meals—just heat and serve. Each meal has been developed with the dietary needs of senior citizens in mind, and contains 3 oz. of protein, a starch & two vegetables or fruit.

New Orleans Style Chicken over Savory Rice with Okra & Tomatoes and Diced Sweet Potatoes

Grilled Chicken Strips & Penne Pasta with Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce, Capri Blend Vegetables and Green Beans with Onions and Red Peppers

Beef & Bowtie Pasta with Herbed Tomato Sauce, Capri Blend Vegetables and Corn

Flame-Broiled Salisbury Steak with Brown Gravy, Sour Cream & Chive Potatoes and Mixed Vegetables

Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole with Rice, Green Beans and Squash Medley

Classic Chicken Tetrazzini with Diced Carrots and Green Peas

Country Fried Steak with Cream Gravy, Red Skin Whipped Potatoes and Mixed Vegetables

Spaghetti with Meatballs, Green Beans and Cinnamon Applesauce

Chicken Parmesan with Whipped Potatoes and Capri Blend Vegetables

Flame-Broiled Beef Patty with Onion Gravy, Sour Cream & Chive Potatoes and Capri Blend Vegetables

10 Desserts included with Senior/Convenience Meals

**One or More Specials Below Available Only with the Purchase of One or More of the Boxes Above**

6 lb. Assorted Combo Box $22.00

1.5 lb. Bone-In New York Strips (2 x 12 oz.)
    1 lb. Sirloin Strips (2 x 8 oz.)
    1.5 lb. Boneless Pork Chops -Thick Cut (4 x 6 oz.)
    2 lb. Hamburger Steak (4 x 8 oz.)

4.5 lb. Bacon-Wrapped Meat Combo $21.00
    1.5 lb. Bacon-Wrapped Beef Filet (4 x 6 oz.)
    1.5 lb. Bacon-Wrapped Pork Filet (4 x 6 oz.)
    1.5 lb. Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Filet (4 x 6 oz.)

3.75 lb. T-Bone Special $21.00
    3.75 lb. T-Bone Steaks (5 x 12 oz.)

10 lb. Chicken Combo Box $20.00

4.5 lb. (avg.) Whole Perdue Chicken
    2 lb. Wings
    2 lb. Chicken Nuggets
    2 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders

Fresh Fruit and Veggie Box $21.00

4 lb. New Crop Idaho Baking Potatoes
    3 lb. New Crop North Carolina Sweet Potatoes
    2 lb. Western Grown Medium Yellow Onions
    4 lb. Tree Ripened Navel Oranges
    ½ lb. New Crop Georgia Grown Pecan Halves
    2 ea. Tree Ripened Florida Red Grapefruit
    1 head New Crop Florida Green Cabbage
    1 lb. Western Grown Carrots (cello packed)
    4 ea. Tree Ripened Florida Tangerines
    4 ea. Washington State Bosc Pears

Order/Distribution Dates: Check with your Local Host Site*

*Please note that some host sites have earlier order deadlines and distribution dates. Please contact your local host site for information.

Locate a host site near you

Angel Food Ministries Reserves the Right to Substitute Any of the Above Items Due to Availability, Cost and Quality
    We Accept Food Stamps (EBT).

Angel Food Ministries is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Complaints of discrimination should be sent to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights Washington, DC 20250-9410

Go to the website to find the nearest location to you.

• I had been told about this program before I left school to have my surgery. From what I was told it is a very good program. I had forgotten all about it. Thank you for reminding me!
  • the only states that they are not in that I can tell so far is Washington, Idaho and Oregon.
  • I too had heard of them but had forgotten about them. Thank you for sharing.
  • I have been getting this for my mom and myself for a few months now. It has really helped us and we have been very impressed with the quality of the food. This month will be the first time that we try the senior/convenience meals. My mom is elderly and diabetic so this will work out very well for her. You just can't beat the deal though. In my area the food that I have been getting in the regular box for $30.00 would have cost me at least $80.00 or more so it is a great savings. I got a regular box plus a fruit and veggie box (split the fruit/veggie box with mom) last month and it had the best fruit and veggies that I have tasted in a long time. They buy in such huge quantities and that is how they get such a good price.
  • We have that program here in Rolla but thanks for telling everyone.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Thank you so much for sharing this information with us. You truly are a great person. O:)

I pray for many pain free/less days for you and all my spiney friends! >:D<
  • Thank you for sharing!!! I need all the help I can get and so far, I have no help!!!
  • I am glad that this will at least help a few people. Maybe things are getting ready to get better for you Lisa. I have been so impressed with this that I purchased a regular box, a senior/convenience box and a meat special for this month. I also purchased the same for my mom. It is just my husband and myself here so I am pretty sure that the $80.00 that we spent will get us by for 3-4 weeks easy. I will of course end up buying bread and a few little things but this has really helped us. The strange thing is that when we go to pick up the food (which is only 4 miles from my house) there is never a line of people like you would think. There are very few people that are aware of this evidently.
  • Dear Pain:

This will be very beneficial for my elderly and ill parents! They had been enrolled in the "Meals on Wheels" program in their town, but the quality was horrible. It was all prepackaged frozen meals that were horrible. My dad has very few teeth and can't eat tough meats or veggies.

THIS site, however, sounds like it's worth a try!

You are wonderful for sharing this!

• You are so welcome. It has been a godsend for me with my mom. She is not able to cook for herself most of the time and I have been killing myself trying to make sure that I cook balanced meals so that I can send some her way. I have forced myself to do this even when my pain is so bad that I can hardly stand. These meals are perfectly portioned and balanced with seniors in mind. Not to mention for those of us that could stand to lose a pound or 2!
  • Wow..this is gonna help us so much, we just applied for assistance...but dont know how long it's gonna take.

Thank you for this info... :*
  • welcome! I pick up my food for January next Friday and am really looking forward to it. It has really helped us also. This will be my third month using this program and I have not been disappointed yet.
  • What a great thing to do. I wish that there was one closer to us. but I guess 30 miles is not that bad.
  • 30 miles is a little bit of a drive. Maybe you could get the regular box and a special or two just to make it worth your drive? That is what I did this month. I am lucky to have a bunch of these near me. I drive about 5 miles to pick mine up. My mom and I each got a regular box, the convenience meals and a special meat box. It cost $80.00 each but I am pretty confident that it will last each of us 3-4 weeks and you just can't buy food for even just 2 people for $20.00 - $25.00 per week.
  • I told many of you that I would update you on the senior/convenience meals as this was my first time ordering them. They were great as was the regular box that I got. I really regret not getting the fruit and veggie box this time. The fruit and vegetables have been some of the best that I have ever purchased. The best fruit and veggies always seem to go to the restaurants and this food comes from a large restaurant supplier so I guess that is why. I would definitely recommend any of this food as it has all been of high quality and a great value.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I had never heard of this program and there is a host site about 15 miles from where I live in southwest Va. I know several people whom I think will benefit from this. Finances are tight for a lot of people these days. Thanks again.
  • Sunny1966. I know exactly what you mean about the tight finances. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. I am glad to know that it will help others as much as it is helping me.