Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Collar Question

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday (3 level ACDF C4-7) and I will be wearing a collar after my surgery. My quesiton is can I get a sweater or sweatshirt on over the collar or should I plan on wearing shirts that open in the front??

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Wear the collar over what ever you are wearing.

This is your biggest concern? Lucky you!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Best wishes on Tuesday!! I will be praying for you. I had single level ACDF C5/6 last March, it went well, th numbness in my hands was gone when I woke up from surgery. The pain took a little while to go, but it is now gone. I couldn't answer your question, I did not wear a collar after surgery.
    Just take it easy as you recover, don't push yourself. Let us know how you are doing.
  • I have been wearing my collar for 17 weeks now. bring a button down shirt to go home in.. After awhile you can wear shirts that pull down over your head, but for the beginning use the button down, Your arms may be sore, and its just easier... what kind of collar are you getting? How long do you have to wear it?
    Good Luck with your surgery, we will be thinking of you,,,
  • Metalneck trust me this is not my biggest concern just one of them. Most of my other quesitons have been answered on this forum

Cyndi thanks I am not sure what type of collar I am getting. When I met with the Dr (before I found these forums) I wasn't even aware that there were different types of colllars!! But I know I have to wear it for 2 weeks then I go back to the Dr and he will take xrays and then we will see how much longer. Also Cyndi I see you live in MA me too!!
  • Libby good luck on Tuesday and do make sure you report how you get along. I have worn both soft and hard collars. I actually preferred the miami j collar over the soft collar as the fit was so much more comfy. If they give you hard collar make sure you ask for the extra pads that go in them. This way you will clean sets they get smelly after while. If surgeon say you need to wear in shower and gives soft one get second one as well. Actually get second one just for sake of being able to wash one. Since your not sure how long you have to wear one that my best advice. Trust me when they smell it no fun. Cindy i correct about the button up shirts. Since it cool where you are also if you have any zip up hoodies is nice or warm up jackets work well too. Good luck tuesday.
  • I wore tshirts while in my collar -- it was more comfortable for me having the collar rest on the shirt and not my skin.