Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can you feel your back fusing????

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just wondering if you can feel your back fusing. If it feels like it is stiffening up. I want to know what I am in for since I heard you get a achy feeling when it starts to happen. Thanks in advance for your input.

• Hi darlin,
    I never heard of that phrase before...
    I never felt anything with my neck at all. I started PT so early for that, it might of had something to do with the stiff feeling.
    Now I did not fuse with my back. With this surgery I'm still as stiff as a bored. Well I won't know anything till March when I go back.
    I think what you might be feeling is the muscles that are healing and getting stiff from the no bending,lifting,twisting rules. Once PT is started with that the stiff feeling should lessen.
    As fusion in most cases is a long journey. So you should feel nothing from that.
    But hey ask your Dr. I may be wrong..

How are you feeling otherwise???
    Terri xoxoxox O:)
  • After my first fusion, which did not have hardware but did have BMP, I never felt better, and in fact, felt worse. With my last surgery, a 360 PLIF with the works and BMP, I walked every day and felt better and better. I had some continuing nerve pain, but it escalated when I fell last February from fainting.

I had never thought about whether people could tell or not - guess it would be hard to tell unless you have had multiple fusions? Good question!

• I have a regular tight feeling in my spine that gets worse when I am active, even though I am much more flexible now than a few months ago. I think it is the hardware I am feeling. Feels like a vice is cinched onto my L5, and I guess it sorta is ;) Interesting question /:)
  • You cannot per-say feel your fusion happening, that would be like saying you can feel a broken bone mending.

You can feel your hardware depending on what movement you do. I feel mine the most when I'm in bed, rolling over, or sometimes when I bend the wrong way. You cannot feel it physically with your own hands or fingers either pressing firmly, it's way too deep.

I am at 11 months post from a three level plif, my body now adornes 2-6" rods, 6 screws with a stabilization thingy in the middle. There was no fusion seen on the x-rays until my 23rd week, I couldn't see it, but my NS could. I was just wrapped around all the titanium, nuts and bolts, and couldn't look past that. It's amazing what we're going to have to carry around with us the rest of our lives isn't it? I have a copy of that x-ray, and I have put it away in my closet, consentrating on my healing and PT.

But no, you can't feel you actually fusing.
  • but am achy all the time....sometimes worse than others.

• It took an X Ray for me to know it. I'm 99% fused after only 3 months and I was worried sick over not fusing. It all happened while I slept.
  • I feel better today. I guess it might have been the ice chopping I did, brrr it's cold out. I also walked some of my dogs outside and down the roads which meant careful stepping so maybe thats all it was. I am so wanting to fuse I thought maybe the achy feeling was it forming. Scar tissue also may be forming??? I am 2 months out and ready to get on with my life. PT went well too.