Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anti-Depressant for depression and nerve pain

MelissaJoMMelissaJo Posts: 196
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Pain Medications
OK I just typed this whole thing in detail and lost it!!! ARG So I am going to do a short version.
over the past year I have noticed that depression has slowly been setting in. My symptoms include:
Loss of interest, fatigue, insomnia, some weeks I have an increased appetite and other weeks I have a decreased appetite (IE: some weeks I can't get enough food and others I will drink my coffee at 5am and eat a banana at 6 am and not eat anything else all day until almost bedtime I MIGHT eat a small bowl of popcorn),feeling of worthlessness or that I am a piece of S**T because I dont do the things that I used to, depressed mood in general, small things aggrivate me easily and I can't seem to let them go, I tend to snap or raise my voice quickly over small things,I feel guilty for being me OR because I have back, SI joint, hip, and leg pain, I couldn't care less about cleaning the house and I used to be a neat freak.
Those are the main things that are bugging me. The sleep thing really bugs me also. I cant say that I have total insomnia, it is more of an erratic or broken up. I will go to bed around 10 sometimes 11 if my certain shows are on. I will lay there for a good hour before falling asleep! During this hour I do have pain that at times wakes me or keeps me awake but it is more from thinking about my pain and how it is effected my life in a negative way. Then I clear my head and listen to the radio on a soothing station and fall asleep. However, I wake up EVERY 45-60 minutes. Then it takes me at least 30-60 minutes to fall back to sleep. This happens all night long. On the REALLY BAD nights it is worse. Like 2 nights ago I went to bed at 10 I layed there, tossed and turned and then just relaxed my whole body. The last time I looked at the clock it was 12:30am. I know it probably took a good 20-30 minutes after that to fall asleep. THEN I woke up at 2:07am and stayed awake. The last time I looked at the clock it was 3:52am, so I dont THINK I fell asleep until AFTER 4 sometime. I then woke up at my normal time of 5am and stayed awake all day long. I wasn't really fatigued that day at all. Some days I have severe fatigue where I just dont want to get out of bed and when I do I just lay on the couch! on those days I usually call my niece and have her come and get my son. Because what happens is I will lay there and dose in and out of sleep. But I only sleep about 15-30 minutes. Then I will be awake for about 45 minutes, at most, and it happens again. So I try to get up and do things to get moving so I get some energy and I just cant! I have NO energy to do it, so I lay back down. Now keep in mind! This is NOT NOT NOT on the days that I dont sleep good.
Anyway to get to the point of this post. I have an appointment tomorrow (January 13th at 2:30) so the doc can go over all this with me and find the right medication for me. I have been on Amitryptiline and Nortyptiline and those are the only ones that I have tried, withOUT ANY luck at all! I have seen on here the med Cymbalta come up a lot and I did do some research on that on and it seems like it would be a good fit.
Now what other meds have you taken for this OR what other options has your doc given you?!?! I would also like to take something to help me sleep. I dont want a sleep med that I HAVE to take every night. Just on my bad nights. What options besides Lunesta and Ambien are there? I would like on that has a generic sub as my insurance only covers a portion at the register then I have to mail in the reciept and then get 80% back on my out of pocket. Also I am going to write all of this stuff down for my appointment (as far as symptoms) and bring it with me. What else (if anything)should I write down or bring to be prepared for this appointment. This is the first time that I have had an appointment JUST and ONLY for an antidepressant adn sleep aid. Any help with this would be appreciative!!! Thank you in advance and also I am SORRY this is so stinking long! I am sure I put a little too much info that I could have left out, BUT I wanted to somewhat detailed so I could get as much help as possibly. Thank you Thank you Thank you => => => MJ

• Sorry to hear about how your feelling, I think we have all been there or at least I know I have and still am. If I dont have anything to do on my days off I will just stay in bed till I HAVE TO get up. I am on ADep and just got the dosage uped. I keep trying to find the bright side. Just found out today may have to have operation on my neck to relive the tingling in my arms.Will know after MRI next week. Good luck and try to find some support this place is a great place to start.
  • ...Melissaq, I just PM'd you re a great sleeper...

Good luck at your doc's tomorrow! Let us know what he & you decide to do!

Not sleeping is totally the worst, esp when you're in pain.

Good luck, dear! You're among friends here who totally "get it"!

• Look up cymbalta on line so you can talk to your doctor about at your visit it is an antidep with a pain indication just be pt with it nausea is the biggest issue take it with food that helps but the nausea will go away after 5-6 days and will not come back.....goood luck
  • All for you comments and PM's. I appreciate every bit of it. I just hope he and I can find a good med that will help! I need sleep and need to be a little more mellow. LOL Thanks again! MJ
  • Good luck w/your appt. later today.A lot of us understand the sleep issues,and the other symptoms you have mentioned.I wonder sometimes if there is anyone that isn't affected in the winter months.

I find myself feeling fatigue,and having a really SUPER hard time digging in for that motivation to get the things done arond here like I used to.I tell Michael that 'my heart doesn't seem to be in it much anymore' because like you,I was a neat freak.My friends made fun of me saying things like,"you can eat off of her floors" and I secretly took pride in those jabs.Not ANYMORE! I'm not quite depessed yet,and I know that with March only 2 months away that I'll be ok..but it's a struggle everyday.

We are moving in only a few weeks and I have SO much to do.The old me would not be on here typing about it,at least not right now,when I should be resting or DOing something productive.I haven't done near as much as I normally would have-so I think I understand.

Years ago I took paxil,but I haven't taken anything other than the occasional ativan for anxiety or the rare panic attacks now since I weaned off of that.I tried several different types of medications to treat my symptoms and the paxil did seem to be the most helpful for me.I only quit because I felt that I was coping ok w/o the medication after living in the south for a few years...but in the winter months it can sometimes get to me.

There are new meds out there now I suppose..it's been 4 or 5 years since I took meds for those symptoms.Never tried the cymbalta,but good luck!!!
  • I take Oxazepam 30 mg at night but I need it every night to sleep. I'm also on amitriptyline like you were. I also take wellbutrin but that med can keep you up at night. Cymbalta would be a med I would like to try but just going to my Dr. for refills of 7 meds and talk about the pain I forget to ask about it. I hope your Dr. gives you the right med for you. I hope you get some sleep tonight. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am having one of those days today. I don't feel like doing anything. I have no ambition. I didn't wake up until 12:30 this afternoon and I did sleep most of the night so no excuse of being tired. I just don't want to do anything. I keep telling myself after I read this post I will take a shower. That was over 1 hour ago lol. I just don't want to get up and the thought of getting in the shower and how much energy it will take to wash my hair and body and shave it just tiring to think about I) I)
  • I actually for once slept AWESOME last night. I fell asleep around 10:30 and didn't wake up til 7:15 or so. I NEVER sleep in EVER! I am always awake by 5-5:30 at the latest. I didn't even hear my hubby walking around the kitchen in his work boots, which drives me crazy by the way 8} I still haven't done ANYTHING ALL DAY!!! So What I need to do is get off of here and at least pick up the living room and load the lunch dishes in the dishwasher.

Anyway thank you again everyone for all your help, info and support during my duration of being SH member. I am getting ready to leave and will post when I get back.
  • I find it necessary to take depression meds. I tried Cymbalta and didn't feel it did a darn thing for me nerve pain wise and had hard side effects for me to get used to. If you are paying out of pocket, I believe it is expensive.

I take Zoloft for depression and for sleep, I love my Zanaflex. It helps with the tightness in my back and knocks me out. Sometimes I don't take it at night and usually do not take the whole 4mg pill, only 2mg.

It is hard sometimes to find what works for you. For nerve pain, there is also Neurontin and Lyrica(newer and expensive too, I believe.) Both of those you have to take as scheduled and be weaned off of them if you want to stop them.
  • Oh yeah,my muscle relaxers really help me sleep.I was prescribed Tizanidine HCL 4mg 3x's a day,but they knocked me out,so the Dr changed my script to 2mg but I can take 2 at bedtime with my topamax (50mg),and if I am having a really hard time sleeping I can take an ativan at bedtime too.I rarely ever take my ativan-but like I said,if I'm having a really hard time sleeping this mix does the trick.I just have to relax and try to think 'happy thoughts'.

I actually have a script for ambian,but my ins.only pays for 15 a month and I won't pay the other 15 out of pocket because it's 103. for 15 pills (at least it is at my pharmacy?),besides I don't really care much for the ambian.I wake up feeling hung over.I do use it occasionally but only if I can skip the muscle relaxers.Oh,and my PCP says that I can't take ativan with ambian.So-I just mix that up ..whatever works that night.

I'm wondering how your appt went Melissa,by the time I post this you will have posted and my post will be out of place.. :))(
  • I tell you I have the BEST PM doc! He listens to everything you say, he explains things so you can understand them, and he doesn't do th whole fast talking thing to get you out of the office. he is awesome! PLUS he is easy on the eyes if you know what I mean. LOL Now my kids' dentist is pretty good looking. My hubby laughs at me because I get all ready and make sure I look nice for the dentist and now the PM doc! LMAO Good thing is I see the PM more than the dentist. LOL
    He decided to put me on Zoloft. He had already started me on Neurontin so he didn't want to give me anything for the nerve pain. So he started me on Zoloft 50mg. I had yet another wonderful nights sleep. I just woke up at 7:50 this morning! I am supposed to have my daughter at school by 8:45 so I dont like sleeping in that long. I feel a little drowsy still this morning. I am sure that will subside though. He also wants to do facet joint injections and then facet joint nerve ablasions. So I hope that helps out. Thank you all for helping out, listening and giving advive! I dont know what I would do without my SH family!
  • Give it a little time and it should level out for you. Also, you have been sleep deprived for awhile now so you may be catching up on some much needed sleep. Good luck I hope it is the right med for you.