Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I deal with Dr?

RefugeeRRefugee Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have an appt. monday with my dr. I had ACDF C5-6 in july of 2007. I am currently still taking naproxyn, lyrica, and darvocet. I am also in Physical therapy. I would rather go to a pain management dr for all my pain meds but i dont know how to tell my dr this. any ideas on how to break this news to a sweet person like my dr.

• I just feel that my pain meds arent doing what i need them to. I have been on different ones since my surgery.
  • I'm sorry you don't feel better after your surgery. What kind of problems are you having, and are the darvocets helping you? We're glad to have you here and hope you benefit from all the advice and experiences here.
  • I am assuming that you appt is with your primary doctor? Honestly, if your doc is like most, he will prob feel releived not to have to take the responsibilty to write out and keep track of pain meds. A pain mgmt doc can be better at determining which kind of med would be best for your situation or maybe an injection instead. Some primary docs aren't as equipped to handle this because they don't specialize just in managing back pain. My primary doc is always hesistant to prescribe my pain meds and will only do if I am in between docs (pain mgmt vs ortho) and I needed something to get me by until my next appt. Right now he gave me only 1 month supply because I am going to see a neurologist for a 2nd opinion at the end of this month. Just tell him in a way that doesn't sound like you think he's incompetent to handle this, instead you'd rather have someone who is specialized in this area deal with those meds. That makes sense any way.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.
  • We are almost the same. My revision surgery C4-C7 was done in Feb 07 and I see my PCP for med's. I take neurontin and darvocet but have noticed they are not working that well. I saw my surgeon in Oct and he set an appointment with a PM doctor for Jan 22, he thinks I need to move up to something stronger and to talk about my anxiety. I am going along for the ride just to see what happens. I had an experience with a PM doctor back in Oct 07 that was not good so I have doubts. All that PM doctor wanted to do was epidurals that did not help at all and were very expensive. I also had 5 epi's in less than 6 months and that did not concern him even though I have the starting of osteoporosis. I like my pcp and he has told me he has no trouble writing my med's for me. We shall see what happens.