Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone tried the Temper-pedic mattresses?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Sleep Problems
We are looking into buying one and I am wanting to get some feed back on if the product has worked for you in sleeping and having more of a comfortable and restful sleep. I just want to make sure I am not going to waste my money and it not work. I know most have a 3 month trial, but I was wanting to see if it is worth the money. Any info on this would be great. Thanks guys...

• this mattress, but 2 reasons kept us from purchasing: My best friend did purchase this and even though is always cold, very cold-natured, she said this bed is so hot/heat gathering that she wakes up every morning covered in sweat. (I'm more hot-natured, so that was an immediate NO.)

Also, she purchased this bed primarily for her constant shoulder pain which she initially thought was helped by this bed. Within a year, she was complaining that since it is so hard to turn over in this bed (not easy to move, keeps you in one place), that she has to prop 4 to 6 pillows all around her to support her shoulder. Sleeping in one position overnight causes her shoulder to really ache the next day.

We did purchase a Sleep Number bed, and returned it quickly. It was awful!!

We ended up with an $800 mattress and love it! lol Jamison brand, the Marriott hotels remodeled and put this bed in their new rooms. Unfortunately, this company does not sell everywhere and I NOT recommend you purchase this mattress through the Marriott website. lol We got our mattress after my first 2 surgeries.

So, do you guys like to be really really warm? That would be my first consideration. And then "can't move easily" factor - that might be good for some.

Good luck in your search,

• We will take all that into consideration. He does not want to move a lot because that is what wakes him wake up due to the pain to move. The warmth issue we will talk about. I am a very cold natured person but he is a very hot natured person. So we will look at our options and think about it long and hard. And thank you for your info on this issue.

Thanks Kelli
  • the tempur hard and hard work to get off in the morning.
    we bought a velda electrical adjustable twin bed with a top of the range hand made sprung and memory foam mattress ..it cost about the same as the tempur ..but the velda is much better a god send for bad backs and a luxury if your back is OK..its a win win situation....and don't be put off because its electrical it looks like a normal 6ft bed .with a headboard ...don't buy the tempur our tempur is now in the spare room!
  • VELDA make excellent beds i have been told that you would be able to get them in the USA the one we have is the pro.flex 30 with the body print 5 mattress on it
  • I will look into that one and see what I can come up with.. Yes my back is ok, and my bed kills me I can only imagine what it does to him... Thanks I will let you know what comes of it...

Thanks again
  • I have a memory foam mattress and it it great for me. It has 5 inches of memory foam 4 inches of foam. I think Tempurapedic mattress is similar. Have a good lay down on one first. Good luck with your choice. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • From where can I buy the memory foam mattress?
    Some one said temperpedic memory faom gets hot. I am not good with that then.
    Would other kind of memory foam mattress be okay?
  • I am looking into buying a new mattress. I am having 11 levels fused in July following 5 prior surgeries for L2-3 to S-1 fusion. Now my upper back is deteriorating because the 2-3 level never fused. The surgeon will fuse L2-3 up to T-4.
    I have tried traditional coil mattresses and they don't really help. I'm thinking of a Tempur-Pedic Deluxe split king adjustable bed. I read all of your comments regarding the heat factor of this bed. I read somewhere that you can buy a heat repelling mattress pad. It projects the heat from your body back into the foam. I'd probably have to google it to find out more information. Lynn
  • I tried a tempur pedic adjustable bed about 6 months ago. I paid $4000 for it. My husband was just sure this mattress would be the 'cure all' for my back and I was hoping it would be too, as I have severe pain at night and haven't slept through the night in several months.
    I returned it after 12 weeks. Besides the fact that it sleeps incredibly hot(and this was winter, not summer), I could not get comfortable on this bed. I read that there is a period of adjustment with this mattress, but I never got there. My husband disliked it at first but then really grew to enjoy it and was sad when I wanted to return it. He especially liked the adjustable component with the remote. I am beginning to think that until I have surgery I won't find a bed that agrees with me, but I couldn't justify paying $4000 for a bed that I wasn't able to sleep in. Maybe you will be different, but make sure you understand their return policy if you decide to go with a tempurpedic....I had to pay a $400.00 fee when I returned mine.

• Now that I'm looking for a bed that's all I see...in the newspaper, on TV, etc. I think it's driving me crazy!! My surgery isn't until July 27 and I was hoping to have gotten the bed by then. I tried out the bed in the store for about 15 minutes and I couldn't feel the heat. And I have to have a fan on all the time. AND I live in Arizona! In looking at opinions on this bed they are about 50/50.
  • dont get one ...why ?? well the total memory foam mattress is too hard all the makes are the same ..you are far better off with a sprung and memory foam mattress combination trust me we have spent thousands on mattresses .we have a top of the range full memory foam tempur mattress but its too hard and a nightmare to get off in the morning for get the adverts of a young healthy person telling you just how wonderful they feel and now all the pain has gone ..bollxxxs!!! its not true .a memory foam mattress with springs is miles better .i recommend the velda ,
  • Yeah....what is really wierd is that I am really cold blooded and would rather be warm than cold. I sleep with a mattress warmer in the winter time. I complain of being cold all of the time, so for me to complain of being hot in this bed was really strange. I just felt like my body couldn't breathe with this mattress and I would wake up in a sweat. That was only one of my issues with the mattress though. I couldn't get out of bed without it causing extreme pain, and I couldn't sleep comfortably on it in any position.
    Everyone is different, and the nice thing is that you can try it out to see if you like it not. I just like it when you can try a bed out and not have to pay a fee when you decide it doesn't work out for you.
    Good luck in your search for a mattress. I decided to wait on getting a new bed until after I have my surgery.
  • Can't decide what to do but don't have to make a decision right away. As far as returning the bed after 90 days....We would have to get rid of our current mattress in order to make room for the new bed...so do I store it until I decide???
    The reason I'm asking all of this is my surgeon thinks worker's comp will pay for the bed. He's had a lot of success with requesting one as long as it's under $20,000!!!!! So if I don't like the bed I'm not out any money but don't want the hassle of returning it as it will be adjustable (head and foot) and it would be a pain both figuratively and literaly.
    I'm going to look into the Velda beds and the Jamison beds and whatever brands everyone suggests ...Posturepedic. Beautyrest.???? Stearns and Foster.

Annie...Love the pug!!!!
  • Are you by chance from Great Britain???? Your "bullxxxs" tipped me off.
  • all i can say to anyone wanting a bed is .try all types of beds before you part with your hard earned .memory foam is not a miracle it may be fine for people with normal backs but for us with our knacked backs we require special beds i can strongly recommend electrical adjustable beds with a sprung and memory foam combination materas not just a solid memory foam mattress i have said before memory foam is too hard for most bad backs and too difficult to turn on .kath and i have the velda electrical adjustable bed {tempur do a similar bed} but we found the velda better as they offer the combination mattress .if you live in the uk you can get this bed from sleepmasters at a substantial reduction because velda make it for sleepmasters and put there own label on it {they call it the senserfoam revolution} velda call it the prof;ex 30 they are the same but if you purchase from sleepmasters its nearly half price !!.if you already have a good sprung mattress you may want to consider purchasing a memory foam overlay many companies offer an overlay for a fraction of the price of a full memory foam bed we also have a walmart {asda} overlay on a very cheap mattress and it had made a big difference to that bed we also have a 3 thousand pound top of the range tempur bed in our spare room gathering dust as we found it torcher to sleep on !
    every one is different so do your home work
  • the different mattresses. My question is...What makes the tempur-pedic so hard? If you're putting a memory foam overlay on your spring mattress is it still hot? Or is it the bottom foam that is hot and hard?
  • I saw your message wanting to be my buddy. I'm still new to this stuff and can't figure out how to do that. Please advise.
  • We got this expecting it to help since we could have separate settings.

So my wife doesn't have back issues. She tries it in the store. Finds her number is 35. In like 5 minutes. It was set that way for a year now. She likes it.

So I've set it from 25-85 and I don't like it at all. She says I move around all night long in it. I sleep on the couch most nights. I sleep much better there.

With all the negative comments about the Tempurpedic. That kinda bums me out. I was going to try that next. I also have an ultra-firm, sprung, pillow topper in the guest bedroom. I sleep on that and when I get up in the morning my back is so stiff and achy.
  • You know, I got to thinking... Everyone complains when they buy a bad product and then they go online to let everyone know. But if they buy a product that they absolutely love very seldom do they brag about it online. Human nature.

Anyway I'm pretty set on the Tempur-Pedic Deluxe dual king adjustable bed. I tried the latex mattresses and found one that is similar to the Tempur. It is a Kingsdown brand and sells for $10,000...the TP Deluxe is $7000 (Note: these are both on an adjustable bed frame. Sleep America sells them. I keep going back the TP Deluxe. It seems to be the most comfortable for me and it has air chambers in the bottom layers to circulate the air. I didn't find it the least bit warm and I live in Arizona where it can get to 120 degrees in the summer. I'll just keep the ceiling fan on. Ha!

I hope I won't be disappointed after I buy it but mattresses are very personal purchases. What fits one won't be good for another. Just make sure you try several different models of TP and different types of latex and go with the comfortable one for you.
  • And absolutely LOVE it. It's true - once you fall asleep, you don't move. I sleep about 4 or 5 hours straight, whereas with my expensive pillow top mattress, it was an hour here, an hour there.

If you get the name brand Tempur Pedic (not any knock offs) it is kind of ventilated (as much as memory foam can be). My husband is hot natured and has not complained once about it being hot.

I have considered a down filled feather bed to put on top - just to change things up every now and then - it's something that can easily be taken off here and there and put back on with ease. I haven't yet, but in MY opinion, my mattress the best $$ I've spent on mattresses. My kids love it and are jealous... So, when my husband is working nights, they take turns sleeping in it.

Good luck in your quest. Purchasing a mattress is a HUGE decision to make and one that cannot be taken lightly. Heck, it took us about 6 months before we decided.

Take care!

• Finally! Someone who likes the TP beds. What model do you have? I believe they make 9 different models. Anyway my husband and I went to Sleep America to try the different beds. (This is the 4th bed store we have been to.) This salesman was very helpful. I tried out the Deluxe TP mattress again in addition to other TP models. Then he had me try several latex models made by Kingsdown, each varying in density. Some were very hard to get out of and just would'nt work for me. But there was one that was pretty comfy but cost $10,000. It was interesting in that every bed I tried I compared it to the TP as my gold standard. Even the salesman noticed it. He said he could tell soon after I walked in that my mind was pretty much made up. In all honesty I tried to keep an open mind with the latex but they just weren't right. So try everything before you buy. Good Luck.
  • I have the TP too, and I am having ACDF on 7/29. My dh also has back problems and our aches and pains have been either reduced or gone. Sleeping at night is wonderful, I also have their pillow too for necks - which is great too.

just keep in mind that alot of drs, including mine (even though I already had it) even mentioned getting it. Also this bed, is the first of its kind with many knock offs - which do not have the same warrenty like TP.

Many places will give you a 3 month trial, if you do not like you the only thing you lose is $100 -- FAIR TRADE if you ask me to try before you buy.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    I've been using a Select Comfort mattress for about the past 15 years. Its great with twin bladders so each side can decide how firm or soft they want the mattress to be.

Spine-Health provides a good amount of detail regarding sleeping material. Take a look at Sleep for Spinal Patients
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I've been using an 8 inch memory foam mattress (generic) with a down feather mattress topper for a year now, and I found that the foam alone was too hard. Once we put down the down feather topper, it made a difference and I didn't burn up either.

Now I have a Serta eurotop mattress that is a foam/spring combination which is much better. I knew it was the right one because after laying on it, I knocked out right away. I)
  • I recently went to the Back Store and laid down on the Tempur-Pedic mattress. I was very disappointed because I couldn't turn over easily, and I have Bursitis hip and leg pain. Still don't know which mattress to buy. Though the Sleep Number bed would be good, but a lot of people don't seem to like it. It felt good in the store, though.

I have spondylelothesis, problems with L4 and S1 and stenosis. Would like to set up the surgery in October after cortisone shots for the hip bursitis in September. They only last a couple of months.
  • tempur were the first .but now there are many different memory foam bed available .and there are many grades of memory foam {for some the original tempur was too hard} and now you can get a softer memory foam bed .i still prefer high quality sprung with a layer of memory foam against solid memory foam .the way they make the foam in different density's is to open more of the closed cells in the manufacturing of the mattress.{some of the very cheap memory foam mattresses have score lines down there length to soften them up!}if you score memory foam it softens,,,for anyone with back problems i would urge them to consider a twin electrical adjustable bed with there choice of mattress be it memory foam or sprung/foam because they are so good for getting out of in the morning..or in the middle of the night!.many manufacturers make an electrical version of there top end bed and pitch it at the luxury end rather than the disabled end of the market ..this is good because the electrical beds of the past looked like they belonged on a hospital ward not in luxury bedroom! i have the VELDA with the body print mattress from what i have read VELDA are available world wide i got mine under the sleep master logo and saved a load of money {sleep masters are a large UK bed supplier} [ I still only get three hours sleep no matter what i sleep on !!}
    happy sleeping