Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One week post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, it will be one week tomorrow since I had my neck surgery. I have to say the actual incision sites (neck & hip graft) don't really hurt much. The first two days I felt like I had broken my hip each time I had to stand to go to the bathroom, but have been able to work most of that out. I do still have a swollen knot w/ some bruising at the hip incision, I kinda think it's a small hematoma. My neck tends to get tense and burns in the muscles when I overdo anything, like taking a shower or getting up to eat at the table. I really absolutely hate my hard neck brace, I feel like it bends my neck forward just a tad too much and I'm getting stress on my neck muscles, however, when I put on my soft brace, I don't feel like it is quite giving my neck the support I'm needing right out of surgery. I was quite surprised that the nurses kept me in the soft brace the entire stay in the hospital, when I asked them about the hard brace they said I could wear it home if I wanted to, but it wasn't necessary, that it was a precaution if I were to fall or something like that. I wore the hard brace home just in case, and have worn it about 85% of the time.

I think what is bothering me the absolute most is the difficulty swallowing. I keep thinking I have food stuck in my throat after eating. I can't tell if it is food, or just swelling that I'm feeling...it's driving me crazy!!! Has anyone else had this, and if so how long does it last?? I've noticed my throat doesn't bother me so much when I first wake up in the morning, but as the day progresses and as I eat meals, I seem to notice it more. It feels like my esophagus is still laying to the right of my neck. I'm wondering if I should but heat or cold on my throat, or if it will even help. Any ideas out there??

• I haven't had surgery but I have heard others here who've had the same thing with swallowing. If it persists I think the test is called a barium swallow. But hopefully it will resolve on it's own. It sounds like you're healing well. Call your Surgeon though if any further concerns of your knot or hematoma? I wish you a speedy recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • are still so , so early in recovery and your body has been through quite a lot so it will take some time to heal and it will heal on it's own time. The best advice I can give you is to take small bites of food and small sips of drink , you do not want to get choked , it is an awful feeling. Try to stick with softer foods too in the beginning , that seemed to help me...I also used Chloraseptic throat spray , I didn't care for the lozenges because that made me have to swallow more and that was more uncomfortable for me. Also the use of bendy straws is great so that you are not tilting your head back to drink. If you really are concerned then give your doc a call...I always say it is better to be safe than sorry.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing. Oh yeah , no over doing it....follow your doctor's orders...over doing it just makes your healing time take longer and it can cause you more pain , trust me , I know this for a fact unfortunately. If there is anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Take care....Miki