Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Struggling at Work-Depression?

Nana ShanNNana Shan Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Depression and Coping
I have been having problems at work lately. My boss seems to be on my case regularily and when he wrongly accused me of something for the third time this week, I just lost it. Left the office in tears and was quite upset for 2 hours. I seem to have very little patience get angry and quite upset very fast and then I am able to get over it in a couple of hours. This is new for me and I know everyone has problems at work but I seem to be having more and more lately. I am taking Lyrica, and Ralivia(Tramadol)and only in pain when walking or standing and I sit alot at work?
Could this be a form of depression and or a side effect from my medication? I am thinking I should take sick leave as coping is getting to be too much of a struggle? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks

• Maybe taking a couple days wouldn't be a bad thing, sometimes I feel like I just need to re-group as everything gets to be a little too much. You could be dealing with some depression. I don't think I'm having any problems with depression though. Oh, I also take Lyrica, it just makes me kinda stupid.
  • I would work on another resume and go to a job where you're appreciated. But yes anyone who has chronic pain needs an anti-depressant for most people anyway. Any major event in our lives can trigger a chemical imbalance in our brain and anti-depressants change that imbalance and make us feel better. I take Lyrica and I feel a little tired and a bit fuzzy at times. You should review this with your PCP and let him know how you feel and he may suggest you take time off and you can get a note then from him. Take care and keep us posted on your progress if you like. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had depression before my back issues. It takes a long time to get the right meds...throw in chronic and extreme pain and there's a whole other set of complications. In the words of my bff Dr C..."Unless someone has experienced acute and/or chronic pain, they cannot understand the changes it causes in your mind and body."

Consider this, you have an excuse (people might not like it, but that's the fact). People like your (and my) boss have no excuse. I am irritable and short tempered and I "only" had lam/disc, so I feel for anyone who had a worse time than I had/am having.

Also, remember you are covered by ADA, your work place has to make reasonable accomodations for you...try pushing for something - new chair etc., Ask people to help you carry things. Let people know how bad you are feeling. When they ask how you are, don't do the usual US response "doing good." I'm Brit, and trust me when asked "how are you doing?" we respond with an answer and tell how we are doing. It's not usual in the US and it will shock people and make them aware of your pain and dicomfort.,

My advice...see a shrink...get some meds to help you out. Anti-depression meds do not all make you into a zombie or put on weight...but you will have to experiment somewhat to find the right one.
  • Nana Shan,
    Clearly your boss does not know of your situation and if he/she does it only makes it worse and I have lost it, as many of us have, living in continual pain requires skills beyond anyone’s capacity at times and we are entitled to be occasionally cross and frustrated by a condition not of our making of choosing. Do you have a health department of are you in a union you should have some protection if not being expected to do more that is physically of emotionally possible. Most of this is about disclosure and nobody wants to feel that stigma of being different while enduring a condition that and right mined employer would seek to provide some additional support, guidance or assistance, which statutes determine they should.

My dearly departed sister had terminal cancer and reluctantly told her employer of the need for some additional support which they were only too glad to provided once they knew the situation, you have to be honest with yourself and that declining capacity and implication for employment never easy to divulge in accept yourself, let alone tell inappropriate others.

We hear this story at lot at SH and employees should have some protection of discrimination on the basis that you divulge your condition for your own sanity and longevity of employment. That transition from one spectrum to another is never easy you have given something away to gain some control. Some other staff member parked in the disabled bay and I lost it too, in the wrong way I and they learned from this it is never easy and you are to be applauded in taking that first step in acknowledging a specific problem and the plan to address it.

I have chronic pain, I am proud of what and how I achieve.

Take care and keep us posted.