Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Forums, Recently had 4th Back Surgery

mazie456mmazie456 Posts: 36
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new to this forum, but certainly not new to back pain, problems, or surgery. My problems started back in 1998 as hip pain. The doc I was seeing dx'd it as trochanteric bursitis and sent me to PT and chiropractic. I did this for 4 months, then I went for a second opinion. The new dr said he tended to agree with my first dr, but he sent me for an MRI, just to "cover his ass." MRI showed a herniated disc at L4-5 causing central canal stenosis, and a right sided herniation at L5-S1. @)
I decided to stay with dr 2. He sent me to my current OSS who sent me to PM for lumbar ESI. Those held me over until I was in a car accident in Dec 2000. That led to a 3 level 360 fusion L3-S1, with Harrington rods, pedicle screws, donor and my own bone. Six months later I had ACDF C5-6 which was 100% successful. The most pain I had from that was my hip where he took the bone.
I entered PM about a year after the 3 level fusion. I believe sitting all day at my job was just too much. I honestly think I needed more time to heal than the time I was off. But then sitting for 8 hours is awful on the spine anyway. I left that job 3yrs after I returned to it, it was just too much. I would drive home crying most days. It was not worth it. After some time off, I found a great job in my field, where I only had to sit for 2-3 hours a day. Amazing!! I felt so blessed. Then in Nov, something happened. I have no idea what but I woke one day with horrible pain in my right thigh, my leg was weak, spasms were awful. My pcp ordered an MRI, L2-3 had a large herniation impinging on the nerve.
I had L2-3 fused 11/25/08. Three days before surgery I was laid off. I had some pretty serious complications after this surgery but I am doing okay now. My worst problem is some pain and muscle spasms above my right knee. I also have spasms in my right calf. During surgery I had some blood loss and between that and removing the messy disc, the nerves were jumbled around quite a bit so I am hoping it will get better.
That is my story and I'm sticking to it.... I am really happy I found this site, I know I will learn a lot from the wonderful people here, I hope I have something to offer as well.
Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have certainly been through alot. ~X( you still have a ways to go on your latest recovery and i wish you the best. =D> please have a look around and make yourself at home. check out the "Good News" forum for a read on successful SH surgeries. <:P good luck as you seek pain relief!! i look forward to reading your posts! have fun and make yourself some new "spiney" friends!! :D Jenny :)
  • You say about complications....please can you share your story?

(I am on 3 spine surgeries)

I wish you well.
  • Thank you Jenny for your kind welcome. I do look forward to making new friends, offering support when I can, finding and offering hope wherever any can be found :) I will take a look at the Good News forum for sure. As I said, my cervical fusion was a great success, I have had no pain at all in my neck, shoulder, arm or hand since surgery in 2002. That was a great success. My lumbar is a mess though. I will heal and with some luck, be better!!
    itsalongwalk, I was in the hospital for 4 days and doing well for about 3 weeks. Then, one night I started having some pain in my lower rib cage, and my morning I could barely breathe. I had a fever and was in so much pain it was awful, my left lung had me gasping for breath. We went right to the ER where they did a CT scan and found blood clots in both of my lungs. :O I had an US on my legs, none were found in either leg, by then they all had moved to my lungs. I spent another 4 days in the hospital on IV heparin and Coumadin. The following Monday, I had pain again in the same area, but it was different so I went to my pcp.Doc sent me for another CT, no clots, but there was fluid in my lung and atelectasis which had formed as a result of inflammation from a clot that had been down in the left lower lobe of my lung. Doc wanted me to go have a thoracentesis, a procedure where they stick a needle or catheter between your ribs and drain the fluid. :jawdrop: I really wanted to avoid that, so my dr agreed to give me one week if I would keep using the breathing exercise thing I got after surgery and walk a lot. I was supposed to call if I got a fever, a cough, or the pain came back. I started using the breathing thing every 30 mins, then every 20 mins. I woke up Dec 25th, 2 days later, in horrible pain. Off to the ER once again. Good news, chest x-ray showed only a small amount of fluid. Bad news... I had to do another CT, my EKG was 'different' from my last one, and I had pleurisy from overusing that breating thing. They made me stay in observation over night. CT was good. Because of EKG I had to do a nuclear stress test. That was NO fun. But I did get rid of all of the fluid :) I need to be on Coumadin for 6 months, have weekly blood tests, etc etc etc....
    My first surgery was almost 9 hours and I had no clotting issues so this was a big surprise, considering it was a shorter surgery. Who knows exactly why this happened, I just know I am fortunate no clots were large enough to be fatal. This has been quite an experience, I hope I never go through anything like it again.
    I hope you both are well.
    Fused L2-3 to S1 and at C5-6. I have a central herniation @ T11-12 and multiple bulging discs in my thoracic. I also have fibromyalgia and suspected arachnoiditis, awaiting my results of a recent MRI.