Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions regarding surgery - please respond!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have Synovial Cyst on L4-L5 and go see the surgeon on Feb. 6th - as of now - I can hardly use my leg and scream when I do have to walk - it's terrible -
If I have to have surgery - does anyone know what it consists of - like - do I have to stay in hospital - or is it simple surgery? And after surgery - how many days away from work? Please let me know - so I can prepare -

• Hi Lisa,

I'm not too familiar with the synovial cyst, but I can tell you that there are different procedures depending on many factors such as the location of the issues, what the NS is trying to accomplish, patient history, etc. etc. If you require a PLIF (posterior lumbar interbody fusion) then I might be able to help answer some questions. However, regardless of your surgery type, this forum provides a wealth of support.

You might try searching "synovial cyst" at the top of this forum to get closer to some answers.

Good luck, and welcome.

• like Lisa, I too had a fusion...mine at L4-L5 three weeks ago...but not due to a cyst

good luck with your appointment, and once you find out the specifics, I'm sure a lot of people here can help you
  • Has anyone had the new medtronic INFUSE LT CAGE procedure with bone protein. I am almost 3 years post surgery and still in pain.
  • .....at L4/5, just like you (a very common spot for one to develop, as there's alot of movement there & they usually grow out of a facet joint that is falling apart, etc) & thought the lammy for the removal would be "quick & easy"---well, it usually is...one or two nights in the hosp, then about a 6 week recovery (they told me) but that didn't happen for me, as unfortunately I developed a post-surg dural leak & required a 2nd surgery to repair that only 3 weeks after the cyst removal....& THAT surgery caused spondy & all the other stuff that led to my eventual fusion. BUT...if your cyst removal surgery goes well, w/o complicatons, I would think you';d feel much better afterwards & be back in full-swing w/in a few months.

The pain from a syonvial cyst pressing on your nerve (mine was growing into the L4/5 nerve root, wrapped around the facet joint & displacing the disc @ L4/5---causing horrendous sicatic pain..just terrible, as you describe) can be very bad. I totally get the "screaming" when you have to walk...I remember falling to the floor & laying there crying for a long time when it first presented...My right leg was on fire...it can be sooo bad!

Talk to your NS or ortho doc...usually they can do a simple lamminectomy or a helilaminectomy (partial removal of the lamina) & you're feeling much better pretty quickly. I only wish I hadn't had the leak & needed the 2nd surgery....I hope you get 100% relief, get well quickly & go one to a happy & healthy life!

But back surgery is still "back sugery"---you'll be plenty sore, but if you have an "uneventful" recovery, you should be fine. Listen to your doc, not me. This is just my personal opinion based on my experience.

But yes, synovials can be quite painful. Sometimes, if they are encapsulated & not inpinging on anything else, they can be aspirated (drained w/ a needle) but in my case, it was too invasive for that.

What did your MRI show? Is it contained or has it "wandered" into other areas?

Good luck & keep us posted!

• Yes, I had that system for fusion. If you would like to start a new thread about your symptoms or PM me, I would be happy to talk about some of the possible complications from that system(which is only FDA approved for 1 level fusions and BMP only approved for anterior approach.) Please PM me your symptoms(leg, back, or both pain) and what treatments you have had done and I will try to give you the information I know since I have had many complication from this procedure.