Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fell 2 weeks after TLIF with Hardware

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I need help. This morning I went to reach for a phone next to my bed and some how I fell out of bed. Landed on my right side which has been having sever spasms since surgey. I tried to call my dr but most things are closed due to an ice storm. I'm two weeks post op from a TLIF with instrumentation (posterior approach). Could I have done something to mess up the fusion?

I am going to keep trying to reach the dr office but am a bit paniced. Should I call my home PT lady or my PCP if I can't reach the neuro? I know you can't give med advice but would appreciate your suggestions.

• Given that there is an ice storm - you may want to just keep calling the folks you listed until you can talk with someone, the worst they can say is "I don't know - you need to speak with your neurosurgeon".

Is it a neuro practice where someone is always on call? I understand the hardware is pretty sturdy but better safe than guessing, IMHO.
  • I'm sorry that happened to you. I heard someone mention that the hardware is pretty stable but I would call the Dr. just in case. There should be a way to reach your Neurologist or a person on call. Your PCP may order xrays but with the storm it would be hard for you to get out. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Try not to panic. It sounds like your fall was fairly gentle and the impact was probably minimal. The hardware is designed to withstand a fair amount of abuse. I doubt very much that you have hurt anything regarding your fusion.

To put your mind at ease, put in a call to your doctor. They must have some sort of service that picks up calls, even if the office is closed.

You might want to haul out the ice (from your 'frig, not from the ice storm) and put it over the area of your lower back. This will help to keep any swelling down. Ice for 10-15 minutes every hour for the rest of the day, or as long as you can. (Don't just do it one time.) Continue doing your walking so your body doesn't stiffen up from the impact.

And, most importantly, try to relax and not worry. I think you'll be OK.
  • if you need the peace of mind, calling the doctor is the best solution. however, i wouldn't stress or worry. the chances of you screwing up the fusion by a fall is slim to none. you'd have to have some kind of defective hardware and a really mangled, twisted, hard impact kind of fall to really mess anything up. the hardware HAS to be tough. your bones are strong, titanium is strong... so you would be pretty surprised by how much it could actually withstand. falling off your bed is kind of an impossible way to do damage that wouldn't have happened otherwise. falling off a bed isn't really major, so can you imagine what normal wear and tear would do to the fusion? you'd have screws falling out and rods slipping around within a couple months. lol. i really think you have absolutely nothing to worry about. of course being so soon after surgery, you're going to be sore from falling, because you'd be sore from doing ANYTHING at all. falling most likely will increase your pain level for a while, but i wouldn't stress at all over the thought that you might have done any real damage. i'd take a deep breath, relax, take it easy, put in a call to your doc, and don't let anxiety get to you. the psychological aspect of healing is crucial to having the best recovery possible.