Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

odd issue

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had surgery back at the end of July. My back pain is completly gone. HOWEVER, when I wake up in the morning I can not put weight down on my right foot. I can not walk heel to toe with that foot for a couple of hours. Also, I have some calf pain. I have perm numbness in my right heel and along the outside of my right foot. It goes into my little toe. Is this still a sciatica issue? The pain isn't bad. After what I went through before this is nothing! I am just worried that this is still a sciatica problem. I limp so bad for the first few hours in the morning! I am seeing my surgeon in March, but was looking forward to some input. This is scary.

Oh, I have no clots.

• Did you have these symptoms before you got the surgery? If so it may be remnant of the previous problem and needs more time to heal.

Otherwise, I would recommend being as active as possible (walk a lot, etc.) to keep your spine naturally aligned assuming the activity doesn't create new problems.
  • No, I did not have these symptoms prior to surgery. I had the shooting, burning pain down my leg and foot drop. I have not been able to be as active in the last few months and actually have gained about 10 pounds. I guess my biggest fear is that this is a form of sciatica and the pain will come back as well. :SS I simply cannot stand up straight anymore! I always put my right leg forward slightly.

• hi! have you talked to your doctor? :-C this is something he needs to know about right away.. any changes dealing with pain needs to be looked at.. so call your doctor!! :-C Jenny :)
  • Thanks! I guess the fact that I am even back here posting should be a red flag. After I have my appointment in March, I will find out what is going on. In the meantime, I am going to make myself start walking again.

• Are you able to do any back exercises to strengthen the muscles and ligaments around your spine?

You might try spending some time lying on the floor several times per day. If you can do it, lie on the floor,(no pillow under head) with your legs bent at a 90 degree angle, with the calves resting on a chair. Stay there about 10 minutes, with your arms to your sides, breathing slowly and deeply. If you do this exercise regularly, it helps to get your spine back into proper alignment. This position allows the discs to unload. Then the soft tissue has a chance to relax.

Since you had foot drop prior to surgery, it is likely that the pain you are feeling in your foot is a "healing" pain. That is, the nerve was badly compressed. Now, after surgery, and after probably being tugged during surgery, it is SLOWLY coming back to life. Hopefully, after some time passes, the nerve will be able to heal and the pain will slowly abate.