Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Being Strong for Surgery

BlueBBlue Posts: 74
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I debated what section I was going to put this into. I wanted to share a approach that I hadn't really thought about but was told yesterday by this wonderful new Physical Therapist I met. He said that if you are going into surgery it is important to be as strong physically as you can because you will have a better outcome. I kinda looked at him... And he proceeded to tell me that professional athletes do so well because firstly they get their surgery so soon and secondly because they are in tip top physical condition. This actually set a light bulb off. I thought it is important to share with others. Although it may be hard to do much , it is important to do what you can for yourself before your surgery. That is Blue's new motto...go the gym and do my best with what I have. Please let me know what you think about this, take care all...

• I have had 2 major surgeries in 2 years and I prepared for both by eating well, taking vitamins and excersise. Even though I was limited because of pain.
    An added benefit is knowing you are doing everything you can on your part to make your surgery a success.
  • although personally wasn't able to (permanent nerve damage prevent much movement at all). Now that I have my life back (thank you spinal cord stimulator), I will be getting back in shape as soon as possible.

• I gave myself a few days to think about this concept of preparing myself physically for surgery. It makes sense. It will be hard. I need to know the limits between building myself/strengthening and over doing it. I made sure the the physical therapist knows well the trainer, and that they are working together. I need to do this for myself...and want to share the concept with others. I am hurting, particularly with the nerve pain...and waiting for surgery...so the best thing to do is to try and keep strong what I have. :)))
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    That is so true. That is why you read about an professional player, being hurt one week and within 2 weeks back to normal
    The stronger our bodies are, the more than withstand problems.
    Its the same when it comes to a common cold.
    If you are strong, healthy, maintaining good eating habits, etc... Then you get a cold.. For many like that, its only a few days and you are back to normal.

But look at the other side.. Someone who is not in good shape, who doesnt look after themselves, when a cold hits, there are good chances that it will linger for weeks and weeks.

Our bodies are basically very strong.. When we do the right things to keep them strong, we can fight most problems, when we neglect our bodies, that is just an invitation for one problem after another.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • What a great low impact exercise. It will be easier on you than lifting weights and running. I walked everyday before my 360 fusion with ADR and had great results so far. It is almost 3 months since and I am returning to work soon. I went home the next morning. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was up and walking soon after getting into my room. I walked around the hospital wing so many times that night I think I wore a path. I have recovered so well and I contribute it too the walking since I am overweight but I do walk and I am active. Best Wishes