Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone contusion?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Chronic Pain
After 2 months of pain in my tailbone, I finally got an MRI and the results say that I have a contusion on my tailbone. My doc was very flippant about it (like it shouldn't be hurting that much) and only refilled half of my current prescription because she said it would only take me a week to get in to see an ortho. Well I called the ortho she recommended and they don't even TREAT tailbone contusions! I called back her nurse to tell her that and am expecting a call back. I am just in SEVERE pain and she acted like I am a junkie when my MRI clearly shows a bone contusion. What is the treatment for bone contusions? I thought it was heat/ice, pain meds and time. I mean, it's basically a bruise that needs to heal, right? I am thinking of switching doctors because I left there and cried all the way home because of the way she made me feel asking for meds.

• I know the definition of a contusion. And it has NOT gotten any better. The meds I am asking for are NOT narcotics. I am willing to try anything but no one seems to be able to tell me how long this will take to heal, how I can make it better, etc. So here I sit, in pain, with no help. yay. And FYI, it has been over 2 MONTHS since this pain started. So 2 weeks has obviously come and gone.
  • I'm not an expert or a medical professional, however, I can share what I've learned.

Unless you're an professional athlete, I've never seen a doctor do much for a bone bruise. :-) When I bruised the tip of my tailbone before it was a good 6 months before it felt better. I just banged it again, so I feel for ya.

From personal experience, getting angry isn't going to make the doctor do what you want and it just makes you feel worse. I've done better by getting smarter.

- Take care of your own needs. Do whatever you need to feel comfortable...pillows, lie down if you are tired, pay attention to how you sit and make sure you are comfortable, if you have to stand in one stop get a step stool to raise one foot (relieves pressure on lower spine) etc. A good physiotherapist knows these things
    - icing works, if you do it the right way. Dampen the cloth you wrap around the ice (I just dampen the side touching my skin) and keep it there for 20 minutes. It smarts when you first put it on, but a really good physiotherapist taught me that way. The cold goes deeper into the tissue. That you can repeat as many times as you need a day to get relief. Using this icing technique, I'm only on Advil.
    - if you can find a good physiotherapist, ultrasound treatments might help. I know an ultrasound is used to reduce inflammation in deep tissue, however, uncertain if how effective on bones. The physiotherapist should be able to tell you that.

I keep harping on the physiotherapist thing, but for an injury this this, doctor's simply can't do much and unfortunately too many pain meds can actually make you heal slower, and that just prolongs the agony. I've done better going to the physio guy (mine actually knows how to do acupuncture and that has helped me in the past)

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
  • Well my news isn't good. I injured my tailbone many years ago and it still hurts. I do remember a doctor telling me once that a deep bone bruise can hurt for years. It is hard for xrays and even MRI's to show a problem in the tailbone area unless something is drastically moved.
  • Good luck. I hope your primary Dr. can give you something for pain. My tailbone is sore and try to sit on a memory foam pillow. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • graysayhk
    I read your post, albeit a little late, and felt terribly sorry for you. I've been treated as you were (as if I were a junkie) by doctors when I was seeking answers to chronic pain many years ago. I had to do my own research and discovered that I had fibromyalgia. Once I knew what it was I was suffering from, I set out to find someone who would believe me and who would help me. I was fortunate enough to have a primary care physician that fit that bill.

Right now, I'm suffering from a bone contusion in my foot and 4th toe. I stubbed it in the middle of the night 3 months ago and have been in pain ever since. Fortunately, I have a fantastic doctor who wants to work with me and make me better. I'm not on meds for it, but the pneumatic boot helps to keep my foot from working too much and keeps the pain manageable. However, here we are 3 months later and it is only slightly closer to being any better than it was the day I hurt it. So, I feel your pain. And from the research I've done, it appears that bone contusions take much longer than breaks to heal.

And as far as the person who replied to your post asking what kind of meds you're asking for...let me answer for you...SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE THE PAIN GO AWAY!! Is that too much to ask?

I hope the months gone by have seen some improvement with your tailbone. If not, I urge you to do as much research as you can on your own and don't give up. Go into your appointments with knowledge, questions, and clear goals for what you expect your doctor to do for you. If he / she doesn't fulfill your expectations, take your business elsewhere.
    Take care
  • Treatment depends on your age and the circumstances of injury and takes time to heal. Change the doctor if he/she cant understand your pain...
This discussion has been closed.