Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior l5-S1 Interody Fusion Surgery Question

lmacleanllmaclean Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled to have surgery on 2/26. I met with my neurosurgeon yesterday. I was originally scheduled for a 360 fusion (most work done anterior, posterior was minimally invasive--MAST procedure). Well the general surgeon said he could not get to the space through the front so now my only option is Posterior. I have spondylolisthesis, disk is gone, and 2 pars fracture. I will have interbody fusion, decompression and pedicle screw fixation. How does this compare to the 360 fusion? I hear cutting the back muscles is far more painful than the front. Just a little background--I donated 60% of my liver to my husband so I know what cutting through stomach muscles feels like. I am very nervous especially after going through a major surgery about the pain. My surgeon said he would really work on the pain control. Any input on what to expect is appreciated and what drugs work best. Thanks

• hey,I have had 4 lower back surgery and two fusions thru back and its hard i had to work very hard at getting control of that muscle since its been cut so many times and you can do itMy advi e is to get up as soon as you can if just to stand by bed and walk thru pain they will give you meds remember way home is to walk and walk after home when you can ride bike i still cant walk far but i can bike 2-3 miles was further but back went out again.The dr. explained the back muscles hold the front in so alot of times yu see people with a little belly its that muscle was cut but like i said work and walk walk walk I wish you all the luck and good thoughts for you. :)
  • I have had many surgerys involving cutting muscles on front of my body, hysterectomy, ovarian cyst where cut muscles and attached back to bone. But my surgery on lumbar posterior was very painful. Not to scare you, cause they have good meds to control pain. I have been on opiates for 2 years so my Dr was very concerned about controlling my pain. He did a great job. Diladid worked well with oxycodone and vallium, all together, But everyone has the things that work better, Morphine Pumps work for lots, but since I was on oxycodone it wasnt an optioon. Dont be scared. The first few days are the worse and every day i gets better. Good Luck. I am sure your pain will be controlled like your Dr said. And walk walk walk :H
  • It's not always necessary to cut the muscles. I had a three-level fusion in November. They went in through two incisions in my back and put in the hardware, but were unable to get the damaged discs out because of too much scar tissue. Four days later, they opened me from the top of my pubic bone to the bottom of my left rib cage, but they tell me they did not cut the muscle. They went in and got the discs out and put in the bone grafts. I am slowly beginning to feel the surgery was worthwhile. For a while there, I couldn't imagine why I had let this happen to me.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.