Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First post: Hoarseness after Anterior Cervical Disc.?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

This is my first post on the boards and I am sure people have asked this before. Still trying to learn may way around with searches and such.

I am a 36 yo female with family maternal history of "adult onset" spinal issues (rapid progression scoliosis in mom in late 60s, neck fusion in mom, probably issues with g.mom but never diagnosed).

Neurosurgeon diagnosed cervical spondylosis with myelopathy with 2 herniations. On 2/5 I had a two level discectomy and fusion at C5-6 and C6-7. The C5-6 herniation was indenting the spinal cord and obscured the spinal canal on MRI. Neurosurgeon said they would remove bones spurs, etc. A single plate was used. It was outpatient (6 hours in postop then released). After surgery they said the C5-6 herniation was really "BIG."

I was terribly sick with the hydrocodone after a few days so haven't had much pain killers. Its not too bad. Most problems are resolved though still some left arm and neck pain and widespread muscle twitches. Had a touch of the flu, and some low grade fevers. Right arm weakness is gone. But I am still really hoarse. I am getting my annual cough (possibly because I had to stop some allergy meds) which is uncomfortable and the hoarseness is starting to worry me.

So I am interested in how long you experienced hoarseness after this procedure?

• Hi & Welcome to the site. The hoarsness is completely normal after the op. I haven't had my op yet, its next week... but like you i've been researching... seems that it eases for most people about a week after op, but can take a few weeks. The chance its permanent is VERY small, apparently that only happens in 3 to 4% of cases, so just give it time, lots of soft foods and popsicles :)

Also, if you search "swallow", or "throat" in the search bar at the top, then hit enter... you should find some things from other people.

Speedy recovery!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Thanks Diamonde!

I feel so stupid. For the life of me I couldn't "see" the search box...and it is right in front of me. I'll chalk this one up to the recovery, cough :D

Good luck with your surgery! Apart from the hoarseness, and big problems with the pain killers, it has been pretty good. It was a relief to finally lift something using my right arm again!
  • Hi there!

I'm a lumbar person, don't know much about you neckies! :) However, I suggest that you look for posts by Tamtam, Neck of Steel, or Bubblegum or better yet, most evenings they can be found in the chat room after suppertime. You can talk to them live and ask questions and while they are not doctors, they have been through quite a bit and can relate their experiences or tell you what their docs said about hoarseness. I know all three are neckies and have had some ups and downs and can give you their experiences and maybe add to what the previous posters have said.

Good Luck.
  • Hi

Just wanted to say that you are less than two weeks post surgery so what you may be hearing is normal. When is your follow-up with your surgeon. Make sure that he or she understands your concerns about this. I'm a little over 5 weeks post-op with no voice as of yet. I should say it is there but very muffled. This last surgery was to get one of my plates it should have been rather easy. Another thing was your surgery done on the right or left side. Apparently there is more chance of damage when done as a left sided approach. Anyway I hope this to will pass and you begin to recover. Keep us updated on your progress.
  • Hi,

Still hoarse and have follow up on Friday - that is 15 days after surgery.

My REAL issue right now is that I had to cut out some allergy meds which threw everything off now. I have my standard cough developing with shortness of breath. The allergist wants me to take steroids to stop the cough before it progresses but surgeon says no. So I am absolutely miserable. The cough is the last thing I want right now (sneezing setting in too). I have an appt with allergist tomorrow to see if there are any other alternatives, otherwise I may just have to risk it. :(

I keep getting headaches from this, and even very very low grade fevers. I just want to feel ok!!!