Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A life ever

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
Any advise encouragement, anything. I know everyone is different.My last surgery there was so much scar tissue from my first surgery and the infection that sat in there for so long. It took 7 months of IV vancomyocin to cure it. It was a long road....I have been at this since I have been 35 that was 5 years ago. I feel like I skipped those years. I would like to get them back. What I don't get it this squeezing pain from my hips/groin all the way down my legs. It is like labor pains but worse. I can't sleep and I have no relief. I am not on any pain meds, just lyrica. Maybe I should be. Last night I would have given my first born for something. Actually, last night I would have given her period (ha ha). Teens ha, what are you going to do with them, right? Anyway back on track. Will this ever dissipate. I can't possible think of a life that will include pain like this. Anyone with hope that this goes away with time. At am at 7-8 weeks. I am getting so scared. Please any encouragement.Will there be any hope for my life. I was better off before this fusion and sticking to the EPI every couple months. Now I have no life at all. Hugs to all and pain free days.

L4-L5 lami staph infect turned to osteo 7 months vanco IV. RT hip labral tear surgery. Tailbone crushed-removed. 12-17-09 L4L5 L5-S1. Digogram. Mylogram. Fusion To many to count ESI 6 PT

• Hi Lisa,

as the mother of a teenager.... I KNOW!! So into their own worlds... Mine can walk right by me for a week... while i'm obviously in PAIN, and not ask... how are you... can i get you something... but instead she says can i have 10 bucks i'm going to my friends... gotta love them! Let alone the moooooooooooods! But as you say... back on track!! It sounds like you have been on a very long road!! How long ago was your last op? what dose lyrica are you on? you can go up to 600mg (on doctors advice and orders!!) if you aren't there already... I must say, i don't know enough about all of what you've been through, my back experience hasn't been nearly as long and arduous as yours... what does your doc say about these newer symptoms?? Jeeeez i've got more questions than answers dont' i! lol :) I'm sure you're doing the usual... checking with doc, maybe pt?? injections?? i don't know, but i suppose given the terrible pain your trying to manage, its very commendable to have managed on just the lyrica - i take it too and swear by it btw - but maybe you need more...

Life does go on... whether we're in pain or not.. whether we're managing or not... but just take each day as it comes. There's going to come a day when your gonna miss that balchy teenager!! so just try to find those moments... the ones inbetween the crap and pain... get a good giggle!!! check out the lighten and brighten forum here for a good joke.... and know that it will get better!! Gotta have hope >:D<
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Hi Diamonde,

Oh, I know about taking teens one day at a time. My actually is pretty good. Just one of those days. She even sleep at the hospital after my fusion in the chair with me. Hey I at my Hysterectomy a year after you. I see your on steriods. Does that help with the inflammation and pain. Do you currently take them or just when the doctor thinks you need a boost. Does tramadol (ultram) help for pain. I have tried to just get along with 75 mg am and pm with Lyrica and I don't believe it is enough. As for PT I have done that 6 times. Right now I can't do anything until my bones completly fuse, to riskly doc says. Only walking. No steriods either that will interfere with the bones fusing also. Soooooo. I have called the office and no return phone call. I do have an appt on March 2. So I will wait. Good luck with your surgery on Feb. 24. I will be thinking of you. Let me know how things go. I that why you are on steriods now? Will they taper them down I know they cut they bodies immune responce down, but also help with inflammatory respose. good Luck to you so much. Thanks for you caring reply. Bless, Lisa
  • HI Lisa,

Sounds like you’ve got a good un, mine is too… O:) she just has her moments (unfortunately some of those moments come awfully close together lol!) How’d you find your hyster?? Mine was the best thing ever, I wonder now why I waited so long to do it!! But anyway… back to the point…

As for the steroids, I was on an oral steroid – it was dreadful… it was a 5 day course, killed the pain for 2 days then the pain came back – but while I was on the steroids jeeeeez I was vigilantly awake, hungry, moody, and my blood sugars were crazy :''( . I don’t know if an injection steroid would’ve done the same… but my surgeon felt my symptoms were too severe so its operation time. If he felt I had more time to play around (do to the impingement on my spinal canal – there’s hardly any spinal fluid making it by….) anyway, in Ireland (I’m a yank living in Dublin :-) ) it would have taken a few weeks to sort out the injection appointment so that’s why we went with the oral as a test run to see if I could avoid surgery…

Ok, lyrica, wow, your managing on 150 aday??? I’m on 300, and I’m ringing doc tomorrow to see about upping it a bit more! I was on your dose only for about 3 days… It is a med you have to build up. The only down side of upping the lyrica was that while I adjust to each level of dose I get terribly sleepy. But once I’ve adjusted to it, I’m fine. From what I hear, once your dose is aboe 300 per day, the risk of weight gain with lyrica goes up. A very good friend of mine is on 600 per day for fibro… she said she didn’t gain an ounce on lyrica til she hit 600per day… now she’s up 2 dress sizes…. (I don’t need that lol 8} ). I take the solpadol (it's like vicodin) once or twice a day if I need it; and if it gets very bad I take the tramadol on top (which I had to do tonight). As for your situation… I think its just about managing your pain and recovery until you fuse – and your doc is right from everything I’ve read – but that doesn’t mean your pain meds and lyrica shouldn’t be reviewed…. He can’t adjust them unless he knows they’re not working for you…. If your curious about how I got to this point…. (medically speaking of course!!) I have a fairly detailed posting in the introductions forum called… petrified newbie. Thanks so much too for your kind wishes, and mine for you >:D<
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Hi there ladys, I,m Diesel and I'm going through quite a bit of pain do to a slip and fall and I had some questions about some of the things you have said. You refered to something called a "PT", is this like a cortisone injection? Is it normally pre or post op? I have seen a lot of people talk about the med Lyrica, what type of med is this and how does it help? I hope you guys think I am being intrusive but I am looking for some releief. thanks for your time.
This discussion has been closed.