Must say... bit befuddled this is the first time anyone has told me that i have DDD... so it's making me question things in a different way and would welcome your thoughts. Here's what the report says, and then i'll put down my questions (FYI -I'm having surgery soon):
There is degenerative signal loss and minor loss of disc height at C5/C6 and C6/C7. Minor degernative singal loss at C2/3, C3/4, and C4/5.
Axial imaging at C3/4 and C4/5 shows minor posterior disc bulging with minor impingement on the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. The neural exit foramina appears satisfactory at these levels.
At C5/6 there is severe bilateral neural exit foramnal narrowing slightly more severe on the left than the right side due to a combination of disc bulge and posterolateral osteophyte formation. Posterisor disc bulging also demonstrated at this level with impingement on the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and complete obliteration of the CSF space anterior to the cervical cord.
Moderate bilateral neural exit foraminal narrowing demonstrated at C6/7 due to a combination of diffuse disc bulge and posteolateral osteophyte formation. There is a more focal left paracentral disc protrusion also present with impingement on the anterior aspect ot the thecal sac.
There is loss of the normal cervical lordosis of questionable clinical significance. This may be due to muscle spasm.
Vertibral body height, alignment and signal intensity are otherwise within normal limits.
CONCLUSION: Degenerative Disc Disease, most prominent at C5/6 and C6/7.
1) What does "complete obliteration to CSF space" mean to me in practical terms... while i'm waiting for my op.. if i do to much, could i make this worse? How bad is this??
2) With DDD, what have peoples experiences been of only having one operation... or is this the beginning of a revolving door??? what will DDD mean to me after this op?
3) osteophytes??? I'm having a double level ACDF- does that deal with osteophytes? what if they leave them where they are and don't do anything??
4) signal loss - what is this??
5) cervical lordosis - if there is a problem with this (later) - why is it not good for this to go wrong??
Appreciate your thoughts!!
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD