Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just got my MRI results

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi all,

Must say... bit befuddled this is the first time anyone has told me that i have DDD... so it's making me question things in a different way and would welcome your thoughts. Here's what the report says, and then i'll put down my questions (FYI -I'm having surgery soon):

There is degenerative signal loss and minor loss of disc height at C5/C6 and C6/C7. Minor degernative singal loss at C2/3, C3/4, and C4/5.

Axial imaging at C3/4 and C4/5 shows minor posterior disc bulging with minor impingement on the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. The neural exit foramina appears satisfactory at these levels.

At C5/6 there is severe bilateral neural exit foramnal narrowing slightly more severe on the left than the right side due to a combination of disc bulge and posterolateral osteophyte formation. Posterisor disc bulging also demonstrated at this level with impingement on the anterior aspect of the thecal sac and complete obliteration of the CSF space anterior to the cervical cord.

Moderate bilateral neural exit foraminal narrowing demonstrated at C6/7 due to a combination of diffuse disc bulge and posteolateral osteophyte formation. There is a more focal left paracentral disc protrusion also present with impingement on the anterior aspect ot the thecal sac.

There is loss of the normal cervical lordosis of questionable clinical significance. This may be due to muscle spasm.

Vertibral body height, alignment and signal intensity are otherwise within normal limits.

CONCLUSION: Degenerative Disc Disease, most prominent at C5/6 and C6/7.

My Questions:

1) What does "complete obliteration to CSF space" mean to me in practical terms... while i'm waiting for my op.. if i do to much, could i make this worse? How bad is this??

2) With DDD, what have peoples experiences been of only having one operation... or is this the beginning of a revolving door??? what will DDD mean to me after this op?

3) osteophytes??? I'm having a double level ACDF- does that deal with osteophytes? what if they leave them where they are and don't do anything??

4) signal loss - what is this??

5) cervical lordosis - if there is a problem with this (later) - why is it not good for this to go wrong??

Appreciate your thoughts!!
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    are not qualified to provide details regarding anyone's MRI report. We try to inform all members, old and new, that we can not provide any information regarding someone' MRI.
    That would be doing an injustice to the medical field, plus could potentially providing a member with false information which could be harmful.

Now, regarding DDD. It is probably the most misunderstood spinal problem. The fact that it says Disease makes it sound bad. When in fact, DDD is just the normal aging of the spine.
    Almost everyone will have some degree of DDD by the time the are 30 years old. It can be brought on sooner, by tramau or surgeries.

The good news is that in almost every case, DDD is controlled via NSAIDs and an approved exercise program. Only the most
    severe cases of DDD will require surgical procedures.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Ron, I fully appreciate the medical disclaimer aspect... but lets face it, a lot of info on the site is passed and shared based on our experiences, and i'm hoping that someone else on the site has had similar results who might be sharing what it has meant to them. I am not looking for a medical interpretation, just ones based on PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

As for the severity, i am having surgery, and have been advised that this is a necessary course of action given the severity of the MRI findings, and my presentation. Thus... my need to understand better about DDD and its long term implications, particularly after one starts on the surgery road...

Still hoping that i can better understand any of the above... without assuming any of us are doctors :)))
    and you find many articles that hopefully will provide you with the information that you are looking for.
    Now for your surgery is it for DDD or another reason?

This is one Spine-Health section that discusses DDD:
    Degenerative Disc Disease
  • Hi Ron,
    the surgery was decided following on the pain in my arm/shoulder having been attributed to C5/6/7 difficulties via the MRI; and presenation of muscle weakness and fine motor skills deterioration which has been unresponsive to conservative treatment. When my NS saw the MRI... he stated i really should have the surgery based on all of the factors. My own doc agrees... its unavoidable. As for the DDD, the first time i heard the phrase attributed to me, was today, when i received the MRI report, so i don't know if its the DDD that has me having the surgery... or disc/nerve issues... that's not so much the question for me about the DDD, i suppose i'm wondering now, if i have DDD, and obviously have to have this op... because of the DDD will i be more likely to have further ops... not sure if i answered your question or not :/
  • MRI Lumbar spine with and without contrast

Had MRI due to increased pain in mid-low back and hips over the course of 2 yrs. Results below:

Sterile endplate inflammation noted anteriorly at the T11-12 and T12-L1 Levels.Disc desiccation noted at T12-L1 as well.

L3-4: Mild facet joint arthropathy and capsulitis evident. Neural foramina are patent without encroachment.

L4-5: Sterile endplate inflammation noted. Disc desiccation
    and loss of disc space height. Shallow central disc protrusion abutting the ventral epidural space with no significant central canal compression. Neural formina and
    lateral recess are nonstenotic. Facet joint arthropathy and capsular inflammation evident. There is evidence of enhancement of the disc space postgadolinium, of uncertain etiology.

Anyone with insight to the above result?

Started into my thirties I am now just 40.
    are not qualified to provide details regarding anyone's MRI report. We try to inform all members, old and new, that we can not provide any information regarding someone' MRI.
    That would be doing an injustice to the medical field, plus could potentially providing a member with false information which could be harmful.

You need to consult with your doctor to get the truth about your situation
  • I wasn't looking for medical answers. Just wondering if others may have experienced the same results. I already know that I have DDD, Arthritis and a bulging disc. I was given the truth or answers by the physician.

Hoping to find another who might have gone through a similar result and asking if what their treatment may have been with their particular situation.
advertisement