Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

wedge fractures long term prognosis

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm new to the site and looking for advice about my spinal injury and lack of treatment. I had a bad mountainbike injury last february 2008 and was taken to hospital where they failed to investigate my back injury despite my constant complaints about the severe pain I was in. To cut a long story short I was sent home on the bus with instructions to keep my injury moving at all costs to avoid it stiffening up. Despite repeated visits to my GP I was refused a referral for X-rays or mri scans. I ended up paying to go private (£600) 11 weeks later to find I had wedge fractured my thoracic spine (7, 8 and 9). Because I had not been imobilised and I had been keeping moving as instructed, they were still fractured!I have received no follow up treatment or investigation from the treating hospital. I am still suffering from back pain in the area of the injury. I have approached the hospital but they say I have nothing to be concerned about as the wedging was less than 30 degrees! How worried should I be about the long term consequences of this injury?

Any advice from people with similar conditions would be much appreciated

• WOW, I'm not sure how that would be approached! I had endplate fractures of T3, T4, T5 in July of 2006. I assume that is the same type fracture, just different terminology. It happens when you launch over the handlebars, land on you head and proceed to try to kiss your A$$ goodbye backwards so to speak. I was riding a? Yeah, you guessed it, MOUNTAINBIKE! I also fracture C7.
    I am amazed that they did not find your injuries, also amazed that they say not to worry about it? I was in a minerva brace, awful thing, for 15 weeks. I would be getting a second, or third, opinion as to how you should proceed. I would guess that pain would be pretty miserable with those not healing? You are still fairly close to the injury, so pain is a given in my experience. It takes quite some time for things to calm down when you do damage to the back. I still have issues 2.5+ years later now. Hopefully you will do better.
    I smashed my right collarbone into little pieces at the same time and that shoulder has hurt ever since.
    Wow, like I said. You need an opinion on how to get this to heal. Or at least stop hurting. You must be pretty tolerant to have functioned this long before figuring out the actual problem.
  • Im not the only one then! I did exactly the same as you on a fire road by Fylingdales radar station on the North Yorkshire moors. Smashed my helmet into 13 pieces. Also found out when I eventually had the scan that I had a prolapsed disc in my neck. When I left the hospital they gave me Cocodamol! On visiting my GP over the following 4 days i was on tramadol and diazipam. Followed a couple of weeks later by amytryptalin to help me sleep. I do have a high pain tollerance but to say I was in agony would be an understatement. I didnt miss a day at work! (teaching in a school of 2000 children)Mind you i was so heavily dosed on medication for the duration I can hardly remember what was going on. My colleagues were very unsympathetic (until they found out I was really injured1)

I did get an appointment to see a consultant 13 weeks down the line following the results of the mri scan. He was "shocked" I had not been in a body cast! I was horrified to find out what I could have done having been back out on my mountain bike only 5 weeks after the original injury. I was working under the assumption that it was just a bad rib injury as the hospital had incorrectly suggested. I still get cold sweats just thinking about it.
  • How rude of me I havent properly introduced myself. Im a 46 year old single dad with two teenage daughters living in less than sunny England. I have been involved in elite sport (rugby) for a number of years so have suffered my fair share of back and neck injuries so can sympathise with many sufferers on this site. Displaced my C4 and 5 which ended my playing days back in 1989.
  • Not rude at all, we're pretty informal here. Listen to me, "We're". I've not been around here that long! I always refused to believe I needed to be here. Finally gave up and started looking for online support a couple of months ago before landing here! For comparison. I had my accident at a ski resort on the slopes in Western , Maryland, USA. They rent out the ski lift to mountain bikers in the summers here!
    I was with my two teenage sons. I was awake the whole time after the crash. The lodge personnel from the resort wanted me to ride down the slope the rest of the way in a ATV Gator!
    I was in serious pain as I shattered my collarbone into 4 pieces. I showed them my helmet, it was smashed and the plastic layer was the only thing holding it together. When the guys saw that they had me lay down on the ground and called an ambulance! One hour ride by ambulance, One series of Xrays and two CT scans later I was confirmed broken! They kept me in the hospital loaded up on pain killers for the next 48 hours before releasing me to go home. Not a fun time. I can't imagine how you managed on your own! Lucky you, you did not shatter your collarbone! Look at my signature, it gives a quick time line on my comings and goings since then!